Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wbin JBL (SA4518 model) 18 inch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 11:13pm
If the reflex is blocked i think the rear chamber volume doesn't matter as much? -Since it is now a front loaded horn? I have two "DAS" boxes like that and they sound very good and clean, but my reflex 4518 copies with fane xb / b600 doesn't sound as good.

Of course they wont play as deep; from 60hz, which is fine for kick-bins wich is what i consider using them for:

subs: 4 CV L48 "E" type earthquake
kick: 4 "W" bins with vents blocked
kick: 8 4512 with phl 15" or beyma g300 or other
midle: 4 12" horns
high: 6 L&R audio 2" horns.

Wonder how thats going to sound? PLENTY of 100hz ability, but maybe weak in mid and mid/high?
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 11:15pm
That's in each side, wich makes 16X18", 16x15", 8x12", 12x2"
18DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 8:16pm
how did the jbl wbin sound with that woofer
Night Hawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 12:27am
I'm soon to come into possession of 4 W bins, although their exact spec's I could not say. If it helps they have a single port. Are blue and have been kicking around the bristol scene for quite some time. Reportedly about 17 years old.

They are loaded with 186's and sound nice. For the sake of future advancement of my rig, I was wandering if, on a generic level, two 18" Wbins would sound okay using void v18's as a stop gap before placing the v18's into some hog's I plan to build in the future? I appreciate I might not be able to run them as low, but If I ran them more like low kick's (lower cutoff of say 50?) does anyone know if they would perform okay?
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 10:29am
Had the mis-fortune to work in a club in Ibiza (Summum) for a month where thay had these.
Honky bass, and thats being kind. Above were 2x15 JBL, then a 2" on lense, then bullets.
Old school to say the least, I never got much out of the W bins, seem to remember tuning the 2x15 to go as low as possible when owner was out.

It just is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 2:12pm
any one with any experience of 18" wbins?
Qautermass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qautermass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 5:46pm
Yes i have uesd them and sound good with 186, work well over scoop as kick but a bit heavy.got 4 of them.for sale unloaded   
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 6:09pm
I use a pair of 18" wbins on my rig.

Really pokey things! Drop low enough and throw far enough!

Cross them at 111hz and theyre not honky or anything.
I love them! 

**Edit: Mine aren't ported though, sealed enclosure at the back of the driver...**

Edited by mrspeedy - 27 December 2011 at 6:10pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Qautermass Qautermass wrote:

Yes i have uesd them and sound good with 186, work well over scoop as kick but a bit heavy.got 4 of them.for sale unloaded   

Yeah sweet, got your pm. Nice to know they sound good with 186's as that's what I have two of them loaded as. Are your's the above model or are they different? Mine are 18"wbins, although they only have a single port at the front. Most models I've seen have either 2 or 3. Can anyone shed any light as to what make they might be?

What scoops did you have them over? Hogs?

Was intending to use them as kicks in the long run, although might have to force a couple to be subs for about half a year until funds allow hogs to be made. (Hence wanting to know their capabilities with v18's or pd1850's)

Originally posted by mrspeedy mrspeedy wrote:

I use a pair of 18" wbins on my rig.

Really pokey things! Drop low enough and throw far enough!

Cross them at 111hz and theyre not honky or anything.
I love them! 

**Edit: Mine aren't ported though, sealed enclosure at the back of the driver...**

Sick, this is always good to hear about thing's you've bought. What difference does having the port sealed make? Have you been able to compare like for like at all?

Edited by Night Hawk - 27 December 2011 at 6:31pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 6:31pm
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 6:38pm
Don't know, you can calculate the ports to be tuned just below the cutoff of the horn or just block them for clean flh, remember lowcut or waste energy & driver life.
I suggest lowcuts something like this:
8 pcs a side: 40 hz
4 pcs a side: 45hz
2 pcs a side 50 hz
1 pcs 60 hz
Qautermass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qautermass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 6:51pm
They are  with single port
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>