Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Citronic Consoles, mixers and amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 98>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 11:58pm
Quote showman decks built by tannoy who are still trading,showmen still call music systems panatrope for some reason

They were also called Panatropes in the theatre. Hence the vintage term "pan cue" meaning "sound cue", still used by some DSM's calling shows in the 1980's.

funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 10:54am
I know Tannoy are still trading, now, under the banner of the T.C. group, they have quite a chequered history of ownership, once held by a company called Beatrice Foods.
I have a great interest in their products, and have had, since hearing Gold Monitors in the Rockfield Studios, back in the early 70s. At the time, I was using Sound City 4 x 12 columns for my disco activities, so, I'm sure you can understand how impressed I was, even if you have never heard any Golds.
Lesser known products include pickup cartridges, including those fitted to the Bal-Ami juke boxes in the 1950s. These now trade on ebay for around £100
But twin turntables, in the 1930s? Even the unmentionable, "original DJ" was using a single deck in the Mecca ballroms in the 1950s It seems that the one in that picture was a specially commissioned order, for a European travelling circus, which was part of a complete sound system package. I've yet to find the name of the circus, but I'm working on it.
I did, however, eventually manage to buy a Tannoy speaker system. It has got dual concentrics (although they're made by Fane) and it's a bit louder than the monitor Golds. 

Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 10:59am
Those subs look ever so much like the Martin FSX
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 12:20pm

I had a pair of these 15" gold Tannoy drivers from a pair of damaged Berkeley's, along with the crossovers.  I made a pair of suitable cabs and they sounded utterly amazing back in 1979

Edited by Muckerbarnes1 - 26 July 2014 at 12:20pm
Billy Dawg.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:14pm
Malc. You had a lot of respect from me before, but Monitor Golds in a disco, back in the 70s WOW! How much did they cost you?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:26pm
+1

Have you still got those? And do they still work? I love the old Gold´s...  Heart

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 3:29pm
Are those the funktion one designed tannoy tops?
Never heard them are they nice? 6.5?
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by funkyparrot funkyparrot wrote:

But twin turntables, in the 1930s? Even the unmentionable, "original DJ" was using a single deck in the Mecca ballroms in the 1950s

i used to know a old dj/compere that started working at butlins in 1946 and he told me they had twin decks then, no mixer as such just a volume control, i think he said they where made by tannoy?

in the winter he worked in the mecca ballrooms well before JS came along
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 4:36pm
Jace, I rather like them, very hi-fi sounding. They're not 6.5 though, they're 10 inch dual concentric.
Woody, Interesting there, it's the showmen, again with the expensive kit. What were his comments about the playing facilities in the ballrooms?  We have come to learn that J.S. often adapted the story to suit himself.

Meanwhile, I've been on the research trail, I've spent hours with the computer! Western electric, also made a twin deck around that era.
The circus operator for whom Guy Fountain (Tannoy), designed the deck unit, was Bertram Mills. It was part of a fairly complex system, as power sources were in short supply on travelling shows, and, of course, it was valve amplification, so speakers had to be highly efficient.
Much of the transport, was by rail, but, rumour has it, that the sound system was transported in a Reliant van.

Somehow, I can't see the speakers fitting in there. I haven't found any pics of those.... yet.

Edited by funkyparrot - 26 July 2014 at 4:40pm
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by funkyparrot funkyparrot wrote:

Malc. You had a lot of respect from me before, but Monitor Golds in a disco, back in the 70s WOW! How much did they cost you?

They were free John. A local studio had a flood. Most of the equipment come to us for evaluation. I took the drivers out of the damp cabs, fixed a few bits and the owner let me keep the drivers.

We were in the process of switching to EV, ATC and RCF around that time, so the Tannoy 15's fitted in.

I remember in that picture we used Citronic SMP505 and a P100/100.

Sadly Earplug I sold them. The drivers and crossovers went to Japan along with some ATC PA75-314 BLCR's

Edited by Muckerbarnes1 - 27 July 2014 at 9:39am
Billy Dawg.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2014 at 11:05am
Monitor Golds for free? I'm almost licking your boots!
beatmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beatmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2014 at 8:59am

Hello international CITRONIC-FANS,

Search a good Picture from a citronic sm440 mixer

who can help me?

best regards from Germany Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 98>