Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" Tapped horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 10:26pm
Just re reading this post and noticed something.

Have I missed something or are the horn lengths for S2 to S3 100cm too much... I make it 140 not 240.

please tell me i'm wrong and all these HR and Akabak sims are correct.......

Edited by tomschute - 11 August 2010 at 11:31pm
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Paulo Duto Paulo Duto wrote:

Hi!

Patent for application US 2009/0323997 A1 of Dec.31,2009  is already granted?

Prior art (*)wasn’t mentioned; so I may imagine that the above applier didn’t know about it and that it is relevant as mentioned in Voice Coil of March, 2010, from page 18 on shows article Acoustic Patents, by James Croft, and the figure 2 of a patent bellow mentioned (problably the FIRST tapped horn).
This is the patent 2,765,864 (*)filled March 14,1955, granted Oct.09,1956, for W.E.Glenn, which describes the "tapped horn", with drawings, curves, ...

See it yourself opening that patent with bellow link:

Patent Fetcher - Patent Fetcher PDF Processing

In Voice Coil march 2010 page 20 James Croft writes:
"While all the items listed above are significant, US 2,765,864 appears to disclose the substantially SAME DEVICE that is expressed in the Danley application." ...

So is the patent effectively granted up to date? And will/should it be granted after comparing? After 20 years should it be public domain?

Regards,

If the Fletcher patent was cited by the examiner as prior art, this is why the Danley tapped horn patent application would have been rejected even though the Fletcher patent has expired -- I had a patent application rejected some time ago due to a patent dating from 1943 :-(

Assuming the application has been rejected, this means that there's now no legal reason preventing anyone making and selling tapped horns -- which is a bit of a shame for Tom since he's done so much to make people aware of them, but that's the way the cookie crumbles with patents.

Ian

Edited by IanD - 11 August 2010 at 11:29pm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 12:25am
"please tell me i'm wrong and all these HR and Akabak sims are correct......."

Yes, you're wrong and the sims are correct.

The 1/4W of 140cm is 62hz, how could it possibly hit 38hz if it was that short?

djk
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 12:35am
a late night crude sketch...

.. am I just over tired or what? I make it more like 163cm for s2 to s3...
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 1:04am
From what I can see, that sim is just a design that djk threw up last December, and is not a sim of the actual MTH-30.  If you look at the FSP discussion page on the MTH-30, it specifies -3dB at 52Hz.....
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 1:08am
how confusing! so what is the plan for the above HR data?

sorry if i'm confusing the thread just all seems a little disjointed.
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 1:13am
djk seems to like throwing the odd arbitrary TH sim of a mentioned driver into the mix, even if it does not represent the box being discussed........
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 2:44am
My sims are of designs that looks good, similar to what is being discussed.

It is easy to see the length and mouth areas from the data field on the sims.

They are meant to be a suggested design, and it is up to the user to decide what he wants to build.

Hornresp liter volumes may be used to estimate overall bulk by dividing by .8, ie: 200L net will probably end up around 250L gross.

Edited by _djk_ - 12 August 2010 at 2:48am
djk
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 2:54am
Yes, I can see that, but some others have assumed that particular sim was for the box in question, which it clearly isn't.
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 6:51am
A quick look through the thread on FSP relating to the MTH30 revealed the HR input screen here....

tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2010 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Centauri Centauri wrote:

A quick look through the thread on FSP relating to the MTH30 revealed the HR input screen here....

many thanks Centuri. It does get confusing when threads meander!
www.stableaudio.co.uk
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2010 at 1:08am
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

Just re reading this post and noticed something.

Have I missed something or are the horn lengths for S2 to S3 100cm too much... I make it 140 not 240.

please tell me i'm wrong and all these HR and Akabak sims are correct.......

DJK do you have the plan for the above?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>