Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" Tapped horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:31pm
Astonishing prices considering I could build  a 12 tapped horn for under 200 quid? 
I know Danley have a copyright on the design but if it was altered/remade surly the copyright goes out the window?
I just find it a little odd that someone like Turbo or martin hasn't made an attempt at a tapped horn!
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:40pm
I built my clones right at $300 and perform within a Db of specs.
The B&C driver is over half that cost plus I have handles and pole mounts.

Look at the price of F1 gear or even Void.
How much are 4 Psycho's? And that doesn't give the same output as a single TH221 which takes up less space.

As far as the TH Mini.
Frak Nothing comes close at that size.

As far as Martin or Turbo.
Those guys are to big. IE have allot to loose. Plus it is Danley. Who wants to disrespect him?

And I have read the patent app and other
materials for the TH's. It seems it is for principal and design. Other people have things similar but didnt work the same.  IE Danley made it work correctly. And since the math is what makes it work. Cant just change it a little bit to get around the patents. Least I assume not.

jamwa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:44pm
well if you read the specs from danley then Tapped horns are the way forward.
 I think its more that if turbosound or FK dont come up with the idea they refuse to accept that it is a better design.

if you look at the THmini its a box less than 2ft x 2ft and jst over 1ft wide and chucks out 129dbspl & 136dbspl peak I know what I would rather lift in and out of a van day in day out...

there synergy tops are also something else - running several smaller drivers to help project the vocal range over long distances which is there primary business PA for stadiums and covering long distances.

Sound, Light, Projection, Display, Cameras and production support
jamwa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:47pm
flipc do you have any diagrams...
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 10:00pm
I have to be honest over the years (I'm 54) I've owned many system's from all the major people (apart from Nexo) and I've never really liked horn loaded stuff, that is until I was bored one sunday and built a tapped horn (an MTH30) there's just something about this box I really like but can't explain what it is? so fair play to Mr Danley for getting me on the way! 
Building the MTH30 with birch ply and the spec'd driver (a precision devices sb30 something or other @80 quid) the cost is silly compared to the amount of sound produced

I don't think respect really come's into play with the big boy's Turbo is owned by Proel (Italy) and Martin audio, EAW, Makie owned by Loud Tech (USA) and I don't think these company's give a stuff about respect or moral's ( more like cash money floats the boat)
I just think it's strange that no one else is playing with the th design?
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 5:21am
"I just think it's strange that no one else is playing with the th design?"

What part of the word 'Patent' don't you understand?

If you build a couple of TH for yourself, Danley might shake your hand. If you sell a bunch of TH I'm sure his lawyer will be by to shake your tree.

"if it was altered/remade surly the copyright goes out the window?"

Try it and see what happens. You will end up in court and spend a lot of cash to learn your lesson. If yours is enough different you might not lose (other than the huge amount of time and money you invest).

The difference between a utility and a design patent is simple, if it uses the design principle of the utility patent, it violates the patent even though it may look different. On a design patent you may have to change the looks so much it may not work.

You are best to hope that the patent is not granted. His B-DEAP32 has not been granted (filed for 6 years ago), although US0D0524797 was granted (on the looks of the B-DEAP32) about 4 years ago.

djk
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 6:22am
Thanks djk

and jamwa Diagram for what? My clones? I posted the HR inputs and the layout here and on DIYAudio.  

And colint - most of those people you mentioned
probably know Danley on a personal level.

Imagine 10 years from now when this stuff becomes 2nd hand.
I MIGHT be able to afford it then.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 12:51pm
TH-115 costs around 2100 US$ new. You can already find some used ones in USA, so that is actually a lot cheaper than some offerings from Turbo, Martin, F1, Void and so on ....
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
jamwa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 2:42pm
FLipC - I didnt know if you had a variant for your design...

I have spoken with the Danley guys at Infocomm and they have a couple of the techies that are following this forum.
So I think if someone builds half a dozen versions for themselves then  Danley must be flattered that we hold there ideas so highly.

Paulo Duto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulo Duto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 6:42pm

Hi!

Patent for application US 2009/0323997 A1 of Dec.31,2009  is already granted?

Prior art (*)wasn’t mentioned; so I may imagine that the above applier didn’t know about it and that it is relevant as mentioned in Voice Coil of March, 2010, from page 18 on shows article Acoustic Patents, by James Croft, and the figure 2 of a patent bellow mentioned (problably the FIRST tapped horn).
This is the patent 2,765,864 (*)filled March 14,1955, granted Oct.09,1956, for W.E.Glenn, which describes the "tapped horn", with drawings, curves, ...

See it yourself opening that patent with bellow link:

Patent Fetcher - Patent Fetcher PDF Processing

In Voice Coil march 2010 page 20 James Croft writes:
"While all the items listed above are significant, US 2,765,864 appears to disclose the substantially SAME DEVICE that is expressed in the Danley application." ...

So is the patent effectively granted up to date? And will/should it be granted after comparing? After 20 years should it be public domain?

Regards,

Edited by Paulo Duto - 27 June 2010 at 6:44pm
Paulo Duto
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 5:58pm
Variant for my design?
Just put the HR data and the layout. Didnt build those things to sell. Personal use.
I just happen to be a bit of a junkie.

And Danley himself has helped the DIY community in regards to the TH.

jamwa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 6:05pm
questions on configurations
will these couple the same as normal horn loaded cabs
can you use these in a cardiod sub array

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>