FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ipod vs vinyl - really?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dan i dubdub View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan i dubdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ipod vs vinyl - really?
    Posted: 05 January 2010 at 4:55pm
U may be right on many points there spanners.  I think most people have misread (or not read) my original post and i have been pretty amused at the usual knee jerk reactions to this thread. Altho Tweeter Box's comment was the funniest (as if!). 

It depends on many things, including how well you have recorded your music in the first place.  Many folks seem to use software of some kind = crap recording.  I use a hifi separate CD recorder, so very direct link from vinyl to recorded CD.  Then I upload that into iTunes.  Sounds good to me. 

Other variables that wind up DJs with regular gigs include turntables/cartridges/CD players that dont work, CDs sticking (nothing kills a dance quicker than a duff CD), and many more.

I am still happy with what i use - it works for the setup i use and means i can select from a huge range of music without carting out all of my music every single time i play.  Even if the worst happens and some vulture thief my player, hey, all the music is safe at home.

I just don't buy the argument that vinyl is always better - so many bad pressings around these days, whether repress or otherwise.  It is usually more about showing off quite frankly.  I have been DJing since early 90s (George Robey all nighters in Finsbury Park) and am well aware that there are differences and that vinyl CAN sound better, but trust me, no one has complained to me yet about sound quality altho some have been surprised.  Played a top sesion a year ago with Zion Train and all 3 of the sound's DJs (including me) were using iPod and it sounded great - don't remember any snobbery there, just lots of dancing! 

Is it very different to using laptops like Tubbys, Zion Train, Sherwood and others?

PS. Spanners, i am sure i am on next Friday (not the 8th Jan), so come on down...PM or call me
spanners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 2:02pm
I understand dan I's point, and i agree at east oxford community centre, is hassle free and for a smaller crowd on a small system, whats the point in wearing out your prized vinyls but surely dan I, if you were running on a tidy system, with scoops to boot you would love playing your records!? maybe its more to do with crowd and system at east oxford rather than mp3 versus vinyl? i not taking anything away from you, in fact i think you, Dan I, put the love for dub in my head. :)

P.s i still wanna play wid you guys..... :)
p.p.s buiding the rig up dan i, scoops n ting, give you something proper to run on. saving saving saving
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 8:10pm
It would be cool if one could use the iPod dock to output an SPDIF or AES signal (Actually not sure if it can't do that already) or even better an I2C allowing the use of a nice external DAC. That, and a library of 96k WAVs ripped off good vinyls with a transcription-grade setup/ direct from the studio, would be about as Hi Fi as you could get with an iPod i reckon.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Conversely it's quite easy to ensure a WAV or FLAC or WavPak gets from the studio to the speakers without one 1 or 0 being changed at all.

I've always thought there's a missed opportunity for straight up studio to digital releases to be distributed with a .sfv or other form of CRC checking to ensure they match up with the originally exported file. Proof of 'perfection', as it were.
Stepping Razor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stepping Razor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 3:24pm
People that like ipoddies only like them because they don`t have the record of the tune.

Waste of time ipoddies. What happened to Ghetto Blasters!! Too heavy!! Lazy lazy!! But still the box boys have to carry the bass bins and the other stuff to the dance and set up. Perhaps if they made the speaker stacks with 1 inch speakers it would be easier to carry to the dance.

Tin tin pan sound, tin pan operator, tin pan selector.!!   
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 3:23pm
Vinyl all the way!

Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 7:43pm
flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 10:22pm

hmmm.... THE MUSIC RULES!!!

IT WILL BE A GOOD SESSION
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 7:49pm
can't we just agree vinyl still rules?
Beez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 4:54pm
i've seen him play cds when finishing setting up / warming up. was at low volume tho.

http://www.myspace.com/fablesoundsystem

SUFFERER View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUFFERER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 3:44pm
Well untill u do, dont comment.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2009 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by SUFFERER SUFFERER wrote:

Look at these mans getting bummy because i said aba used a CD, i seen him at notting hill 2 years back. 

i for one have never seen aba play CD. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>