Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ipod vs vinyl - really?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan i dubdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ipod vs vinyl - really?
    Posted: 24 December 2009 at 12:04pm
I know this is an old subject now, but i did an experiment the other week at East Oxford Community Centre.  I took my box of 45's as well as my ipod to play.  Now i have been using the ipod in sessions for a good while now and I am convinced by the original ipod classic at least (louder, faster, etc)

I played original vinyl as well as repress and almost without exception, the tune came out clearer  from the ipod every time.  Clean signal, reliable player (not having to depend on my turntables which had not been put away properly by the previous user), thousands of tunes in my pocket - that wins the arguyment for me.  The vinyl sounded rough by comparison.  Lots of people whinge on about how vinyl sounds better and has wider frequency range - not always reflected in how it sounds.  Vinyl - poor quality pressings and vinyl, not to mention scratches and cracks - you are not guranteed good sound quality.

I have been backing up my vinyl onto CD since CD recorders became available and so most of what is on my ipod has come direct from my vinyl shelves - glad I did now.  Recorded through my NAD amp and separate CD recorder, my tunes sound criss....wherever i go.....
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 12:24pm
ring me when you ready to sell ya vinyls Embarrassed
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 12:35pm
you are talking bs and you know it.
tekoffensive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekoffensive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 12:43pm

people often whack theyre ipods thru my mixer at house parties and the quality is never as vinyl or cd's, perhaps because theyve not changed the setting that converts all tunes to 128kps in itunes, menaing your more than halving the quality of a properly recorded studio cd.

flac files are over 400kps am i right?
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by tekoffensive tekoffensive wrote:

people often whack theyre ipods thru my mixer at house parties and the quality is never as vinyl or cd's, perhaps because theyve not changed the setting that converts all tunes to 128kps in itunes, menaing your more than halving the quality of a properly recorded studio cd.

FLAC is 1411 i think, being lossless and all Smile
dan i dubdub View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan i dubdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 2:19pm
no vinyl getting sold tweeter

just not taking it out of my house every time i play.

i used to play vinyl alongside someone who used Traktor on their laptop as well as other people with other digital formats and i agree about volume loss, but seriously not all ipods play the same. 
tekoffensive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekoffensive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by subbass subbass wrote:

Originally posted by tekoffensive tekoffensive wrote:

FLAC is 1411 i think, being lossless and all Smile

even worse for ipods then!

i only use high quality WAVS but ill have to start using flac if there that high quality,    ive got some but cant find a decent player,  the flac codecs for windows media and real player never work.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by dan i dubdub dan i dubdub wrote:

no vinyl getting sold tweeter

just not taking it out of my house every time i play.

i used to play vinyl alongside someone who used Traktor on their laptop as well as other people with other digital formats and i agree about volume loss, but seriously not all ipods play the same. 

sound quality from an ipod is second to none, as most Mac products they dont hold back when it comes to quality even if they are mass produced

itll always sound better due to the digital abilties it has, however IMO when played of a rig at loud volume A/B test vinyl will always win due to how music is made/converted into mp3 Wink

the warmth (and missing frequencies) will re-appear when playing vinyl Smile
joshd963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshd963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 3:46pm
ipod quality isnt that amazing.. 
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 3:49pm
vinyl would have sounded better to you before you became acustomed to teh over compressed, over limter digital recordings available to ipod users.  vinyl is actually higher fidelity (if cut well), but sounds different (and less hifi) to an ear that is acustomed to digital 'loudness war' victims.  I have good vinyl and bad vinyl.  the bad vinyl sounds worse than a bad mp3, but a good vinyl kills 99% of good mp3's in terms of dynamics, energy and overall niceness.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by joshd963 joshd963 wrote:

ipod quality isnt that amazing.. 
better than any other portable mp3 player, hence the price

Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

vinyl would have sounded better to you before you became acustomed to teh over compressed, over limter digital recordings available to ipod users.  vinyl is actually higher fidelity (if cut well), but sounds different (and less hifi) to an ear that is acustomed to digital 'loudness war' victims.  I have good vinyl and bad vinyl.  the bad vinyl sounds worse than a bad mp3, but a good vinyl kills 99% of good mp3's in terms of dynamics, energy and overall niceness.

Thumbs Up
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 4:56pm
your records will only sound poor if you dont look after them! 

and if theyre damaged, it should be u as the responsible selecta, making the decision not to play them out over a big system!

3.5mm jack connections don't go anywhere near our system - if we play off a laptop its only via balanced usb or firewire into a high quality soundcard. 

and unless your playing AIFF or WAV or other high quality material, digital should be avoided imo. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>