Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C Audio Pulse 2x1100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 11:51am
oh righty ... I thought you were talking about a power toriod ...  yeah, you should be able to wind small gate drive transformer by hand pretty easily. Let me have a guess,  he originally used a traditional E core pulse transformer that didnt have sufficent drive to fully saturate the IGBTs ??

to be honest, I'd have thought the manufacturer would be providing these FOC if the originals ones blow up .. but there you go.
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
James Cotton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Cotton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 12:17pm
Yep, it's a very small toroid hence the fiddly factor.
There's not very many turns though so hand winding is possible.

My main problem is keeping everything neat, one suggestion I picked up from a web site was to jab a chopstick in the middle of the core whilst winding each turn to keep everything in place (chopsticks are nicely tapered and soft enough not to damage the insulation) but every chopstick I have is about 2mm too small Ouch

Other advice I have found is to wind these bifilar (or trifilar in this case), keep 30 degrees of the toroid free of winding and position the windings so that there is an even space on either side of the smaller ones.

I think the problem with the original pulse transformers was to do with breakdown of the core material.

I've sent a long email to Lee who designed them in the first place and I discovered last night that the address of his current employer is suspiciously identical to that of George's company (who supplied me with the new toroid cores) so between them they should be able to point me in the right direction.

The original manufacturer C-Audio was Harmon-ised long ago and dissapeared into a dusty corner of Crown
These amps date back to 1998 so warranty repairs are kinda out of the question.
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 12:27pm
ah yes .. 1988 is a bit old :)  
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
Dave FFA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave FFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 3:28pm
the original pulse tx where of poor quality which meant there was a gap between the core sections. the toroidal replacement pulse transformer is the easiest and best option replacement.
yes george ex bss service department engineer and manager has his new audio electronics company in the same building as lee basham whom was the c-audio service guy for years harman and before at cambridge.
best regards  dave
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 8:28pm
I hate the damn things! Huge heavy pcb and that rack depth! Such a large single pcb and yet everything's still crammed in tightly!

S'pose they do sound pretty good.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 8:33pm
Don't know what you're moaning about.  It's not that heavy, or deep.  The single PCB means there are no interconnects to worry about, plus you can run the amp out of the case which makes repair easy.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 9:19pm
What interests me is does the modded mod really make the pulse reliable ?
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 9:22pm
I should hope so.  It removes the most common failure mode of them.
Dislexic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dislexic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 10:01pm

To go off topic I got the Crown XS900 and 4300, which I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) is crowns regurgated and improved offering of the pulse after they absorbed caudio, and they have been bullet proof, not sure of the differences tbh but works for me - will sell if anyones interested >8) 

How do yo spell that?
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 11:26pm
As far as I'm concerned any C-Audio design after the SR range are a bit of a codge-up. I havent seen one yet that I like! What were they smoking when they designed them?

Crown fitted different boards in the XS & Pulse C-audio amps which is probably why they are more reliable! And, according to Crown, their versions actually met the published specs that the originals didn't.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 11:46pm
The Crown Pulse is almost identical to the C-Audio one.  But the XS has some significant differences, especially in the output stage heat-sinking.

I think C-Audio rushed the Pulses out, if they'd have just been able to spend a little more time getting them right then they'd be great.
Dave FFA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave FFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 3:55pm
once modded the pulses are reliable except for the 4x 300. The only issue now is that the amps have been in circulation for 12 years and havent been in production for at least 8 years. I bought pretty much the last 16 C-Audio 2 x1100's ever made at potters bar and these i believe are still going strong. The design was rushed into production without proper beta testing and because harman had the funds to ride out the problems that occured the pulses reputation will be permanently soiled. I ATE tested the first pulses ever made and witnessed quite a few spectacular blow ups in the early days. It was quite a while before i changed my racks of SRX3801s over to the lightweights. best regards  dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>