Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Studiomaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studiomaster
    Posted: 06 January 2010 at 4:54pm
Anyone got opinions on Studioline mixers and outboard? What are they like? Decent kit or budget tat?
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 5:00pm
Vintage ones are excellent mid-range English built  upto around mid 1990's...New ones are budget chinese...you might as well buy a Behringer.
Be seeing you.
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 5:04pm
+1 

The old RSD Studiomaster amps are classics.
The new stuff is tat .. but, it is at least inexpensive tat.
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 5:04pm
How do you know which is which?
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 5:25pm
easy,  pick it up then contact your GP. If you have a hernia, its the old stuff :)

The old stuff was basically 4U high, black, heavy amps, often with two honking big meters on the front. The'y werent exactly hi end, but they delivered the goods, and with plenty of current capability.

The new stuff is a range of JBL look-alike speakers, 2U high amps and USB powered coffee cup warmers etc.  If its in a plastic case that looks like a mincers hand luggage, its the new stuff.

Edited by cilla.scope - 06 January 2010 at 5:26pm
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 6:31pm
LOL
That made me laugh Cilla.

Basically,anything manufactured after about 1996 is the new chinese stuff.
The same applies to Citronic.
Be seeing you.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 8:52pm
Well, they were later made in India by Pradheep Ahuja Prosound Products (?). The D series power amps and Powerhouse mixer-amps are pretty good actually and sound great. There's alot still around. The early Indian-built ones (the ones with a union jack sticker on saying 'designed and engineered in britain' or similar were so so, I had several examples with faults like incorrectly pushed-in faston connectors and component legs cranked so tightly they'd fractured. Later production went to China and were made in the same factory as some Citronic amps (same internal OEM logos) and these are generally more reliable.

Some spares are starting to get a little thin for them, they were also sold under the Soundlab and IMG Stageline brands.

They can be hard to repair as an output failure is usually catastrophic (though predictable) and sometimes burns the pcb badly, though most are salvageable. Sometimes the low-voltage rail decoupler ceramics can go s/c and emit alarming amounts of smoke as they burn out tie-down resistors all over the amp. The amp channel furthest from the fan seems to be the least reliable, the air is blown from one output board and over the other one! Occasionally the ICE FX pcb self destructs, it has a rather weird sub-regulator power supply that can over-volt and fry the ics. Op amps can go and cause weird protect or clipping or DC problems.

I never liked the older, UK heavy Studiomaster 1000 etc with their external heatsinks, what a devil to pull apart! But well regarded in the recording industry.

pradheep ahuja prosound

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 06 January 2010 at 8:55pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 11:04pm
Cheers guys
opus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:45am
Hello Guys

I'm considering purchasing an ancient Studiomaster Powerhouse 300 to drive a pair of just as ancient Celestion SR1 speakers.

The mixer looks clean for the age, already flight cased, which is convenient and at 125.00 seems a good deal.

Anyone has experience with this mixer?

Thanks

concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 1:54pm
Had one of there powered mixers once, sounded ok, worked as it should, had a small built in eq, if I remember correctly it was a nice piece of kit.
nev23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nev23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2017 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I never liked the older, UK heavy Studiomaster 1000 etc with their external heatsinks, what a devil to pull apart! But well regarded in the recording industry.

http://www.ajaudio.co.uk/CITRONIC%20CONQUEST%20V12%20REPAIR.htm
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2017 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by opus opus wrote:

Hello Guys

I'm considering purchasing an ancient Studiomaster Powerhouse 300 to drive a pair of just as ancient Celestion SR1 speakers.

The mixer looks clean for the age, already flight cased, which is convenient and at 125.00 seems a good deal.

Anyone has experience with this mixer?

Thanks

ive had about 10 of the powerhouse,vision,horizon range and all were reliable and sounded good, before dynacord brought the powermate out ,they were the must have mixer/amp for karaoke and artists alike  ,the later version had yellow trim on the faceplate and more stereo channels

GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply