Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPEAKER SHOOTOUT/MATRIX AMP DEMO AT SEDA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by tallmike tallmike wrote:

Can his bass bins take proper power or is there a limit?

I believe the 2x12 can take the full output of the XP 5000......
Protect your hearing, and feel the music.

MU South East Roving Safety Rep.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Dom Dom wrote:

Hmmm...  Would really like go and finally hear all those boxes, but why Maidstone and why so late?  Anyone local know of any cheap hotels?

Dom,

Might have a seat available in the van if you are interested, would mean a late journey back but at least you could kip until we got back to the West Midlands.

Tony

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 7:48am
Sounds like a winner...
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Safetyman Safetyman wrote:

really? sounds good

whats the deal on the matrix amps, will they be available for purchase on the day? looking for one of the smaller ones
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 9:34am
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

really? sounds good

Not quite, the 12" drivers are 600w each so 1200w for the cab. My XP5000 gives out around 1800 watts into 4 ohms so is perfect for the x1.5 rule. They are happy to run with the clip light flickering all night.

They need all this power though because the downside is they have low efficiency as a result of trying to get the extension in what is a pretty small box 70L.

They should keep up with a decent reflex loaded 18" driver, perhaps losing out a couple of hz in extension but around the same output  125db cont.

There is a term used in Hi-Fi that describes perfectly what I was trying to achieve with these boxes "slam" which always seems missing in large P.A. subs. have I achieved it?

Tony
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:21pm

whats the deal on the matrix amps, will they be available for purchase on the day? looking for one of the smaller ones
[/QUOTE]

There will be amps for sale on the night including the UKP 2100X's, if that is what you require.... ?

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 5:28pm
Good to finally get to hear those boxes....

Now does anyone know where I can pick up active QSC stuff and some Bose 802s???

Ta

Dom
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 10:03pm
Fantastic sounds on the night, and thanks to Matt & Tony for the demo's. I can't believe that such a small system makes such a big tight sound, and all home-built too.Can't wait for the 4x12 bins, or the 8x8 bins ?

Hey Dom, can you give me some idea how much you charge for making the boxes( shells ), please ?

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 5:54am

Fantastic sounds on the night, and thanks to Matt & Tony for the demo's. I can't believe that such a small system makes such a big tight sound, and all home-built too.Can't wait for the 4x12 bins, or the 8x8 bins ?

Hey Dom, can you give me some idea how much you charge for making the boxes( shells ), please ?

Thank you Ian, and thanks to all at SEDA for making us feel very welcome. It is always good to get praise for your efforts and makes all the time stuck in my little shed feel worthwhile.

You had to feel for the guy demoing the active QSC's after though, he got the short straw Cry .

Tony
Marvin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 9:29am
Any pics from the night?
Forward Motion SS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forward Motion SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Marvin Marvin wrote:

Any pics from the night?
+1 with the pictures!!
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 5:23pm
Cheers Tony. Shame I limited you all to 90 db, I know. But at least we did not get any complaints from the hotel guests as far as I know. Would have liked to hear them at higher output for comparison with others that I have heard. Some speakers sound fantastic above a certain volume( say 100db ) than others that sound good below this. The EV ZX 3 and SX 300 are a case in point. The 300 sounds ok up to normal levels but horrible when pushed, whereas the ZX is stunning at higher levels of volume. I reckon yours just go on getting louder and louder and still sounding superb. There was a lot of interest in the 2x12 bins from what I gathered.
Yes, the QSC sounded tame in comparison, coming as it did later in the show. There should have been two stacks for a fair comparison.

I would be interested to know what the feedback was between Matt's single stack and your 3 stacks ?

Matt is posting pics next week, some of his and some of mine when he receives the CD I sent him. I have not found a way of posting pics with my iMac, despite viewing all the info elsewhere on this forumEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>