Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to build a sound system for reggae / dub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tafaridub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to build a sound system for reggae / dub
    Posted: 14 March 2010 at 11:46am
Greetings to each and every one ! 

I am a reggae enthusiast and I would like to build my own sound-system. 
However, I don't know how to proceed. What I need, etc...
I would like to build a system based on 2x bass bin scoop + 2 medium + top
What are the elements I need, except the wood, to create each speaker ? 
i have heard of something like compressions, etc.. iam very lost

I would be really pleased to chat about that with experienced members on windows live messenger.
if you're interested in, please leave me your windows live adress by PM ! :-) 

backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 12:06pm
For a 'speaker' you need a few different components. Except for the wood as you have said, you need some way to connect the speaker box to the amp. Ideally you want 'speakon' panel mount sockets or similar as this is the most common way to do it.

You need to then look at the speaker cabinet your building or want to build. If it is a scoop you will need a driver or speaker - one that is suitable to be put in a scoop and one that fits the design. You also don't need a passive crossover inside, just wire your speakon/jack or xlr connector to the speaker terminals directly.

With a mid top box things get a little more complex. Compression drivers are a type of speaker driver designed to cover the high frequencies. You can also get bullet tweeters, and piezo tweeters of which all 3 cover the same high frequencies. Then mid drivers usually use 12" or less drivers as really as a pretty general rule. You can then bi-amp your mid top or run them normally. If you run them normally from one amp then you need a passive crossover inside to sort out what sound is going where basically.

You now need to decide on what speakers want to build/buy. You will want a 3 or 4 way system. A 3 way has sub, mid bass (kick bass), mid and treble. So from your post and the fact you want a reggae rig, scoops will cover sub, mid bass can be as simple as a 15" reflex design, or a design like the hd15 on this site, mid and top a lot of reggae systems have boxes with 2 12" or 10" mid drivers and 100's of bullet tweeters. There are plenty of designs on the internet for scoops, kick bins and mid top boxes - happy hunting!

Welcome to the forum also.
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 1:27pm
Also, you have to be able to consider many factors at once, for instance if you want to make the soundsystem bigger over time, make sure you design something that you can upgrade easily, and logically, etc
If you want scoops, you should look into the different scoop plans. You've got small ones, big ones, hog ones (big), super scoopers, etc.. And it's always for the best to install the recommended woofers in it.

What you basically want is this: first you have an active crossover. You plug your input (from the dj mixer/i-pod/mp3/guitar/whatever) in to this. And what the crossover does is pretty simple: it divides the signal into 3 or 4 parts (depends on whether you'll be using a 3 or a 4 way system). So it sends the sub/low frequency's to the amplifier for your scoops, the midbass/bass frequency's to the amp for what you called 'medium', we often call it kickbin's (because the it lays between 100 and 250hz and those are the frequency's who give you that 'kick in the chest' sensation. Then it also sends the mids to the amp for the middrivers in your tops, and the highs to the amp for the compression drivers in your tops.
This applies when you'll be using a 4 way system.
So you'll be having a crossover, sending the signal to 4 amps. Those amps then will send the amplified signal to the woofers/drivers/etc in the cabs. This happens with speak-on connectiors, that you have installed in the speakers. Those speakons are connected to your woofers/drivers/etc.
Now plug everything into a powersource and it should work.
Imo these are the pretty basics.
Now just go hunting for plans, and try to put a logical system together, post it here and we'll have a look at it :)
welcome!
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 2:30pm
You will find alot of reggae sound systems use what is called a preamp. When I say preamp I dont
mean it in the conventional sense. A preamp in the reggae sound system world is a one box affair
which is your mixer,eq,kill switches and active x-overs. There are other ways of getting your sound
system up and running and use seperate units to do the things you require.
The rest is spot on concerning speakers. Hope you get the sound your after.
Give thanx.
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
tafaridub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tafaridub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:30pm
Well. The problem is that a preamp made by Jah Tubby's or Mostec is *** expensive (at least 1.000 pounds) and i would prefer to spend this money in records, for example. But if I buy a preamp, I won't have to buy any crossover, and I can avoid using a small mixer, right ? In fact, I am above all interested in separating the frequencies to apply effects on middle and high, for example, and really kill some frequencies as I want (my mixer has a "kill" function but it doesn't work very well)

So, if I want to create a 3 ways sound system, I have to buy at least : 

1) 2 bass speakers 
Eminence Delta 15 LF, 38 cm basses speaker : 500 watts rms
+ one 1000 watts rms amplifier

2) 2 medium/bass speakers
Eminence Beta 12, 31 cm bass speaker : 250 watts rms each 
+ one 500 watts rms amplifier

3) 2 or 3 Eminence APT 150 tweeters
...but I haven't still understood why do I have to buy compressions...

total price : approximately 400 pounds

But in fact, I would need a list with what must be bought in order to create my sound system. 
I don't have a huge budget. I'm looking simply for a fair sound quality, above all with basses. 
but, actually, don't need a 40 KW power... I think 1 or 2 RMS KW are enough to play in a kind a bar ?

I already have a turntable, a mixer, lots of records, and a delay (and this delay doesn't work, given that I can't use the "kill" function of my mixer !) 
tafaridub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tafaridub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:30pm
And above all, THANK YOU ALL ! :-)

I just noticed that you said that hundreds of tweeters were necessary. 
in fact, i would like t build something like that : 
but twice smaller ! : just 2 basses, 2 medium low, and a few high !

i see you call these kinds of bass speakers "superscoopers" / "superscoops"
I would need smaller ones...

sorry for being so disturbing !!

Edited by tafaridub - 14 March 2010 at 6:04pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 7:19pm
Dont worry your not being disturbing and happy to help. Although eminence 15"'s are not half bad I'd
go with Fane 15b/xb colossus because they drop nice. 18"'s wouldnt be a bad idea either. Scoops will give you the height req'd to put the mids & tweeters on top but like you said a bit large. You could put the tops on poles to get a bit of height and use a front loaded design or mini scoop design & you have something small enough for a bar. And you wouldnt blow them in a hurry without the bar staff telling you way before hand that glasses are dancing off the shelves!!!    About the kill switches etc there are ways and means of getting the reggae preamp style sound using regular gear. Pre's like tubbys and mostecs are highly regarded in sound system circles and have good drive capability but are usually mono,not that this is a problem.
If your buying new cost up a preamp against all the processors req'd for "that sound" .
Hope this helps.

Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 7:41pm
pre-amps arent really essential - theyre effectively a load of outboard units squeezed into one box. 

their biggest downfall is the inability to delay freq. bands. 

if you take all the components in a pre-amp, but as seperate units, you will end up with the same sound. I.e. active xover, parametric EQ, etc

although some will strongly disagree 

Edited by Saul - 23 June 2010 at 11:56am
tafaridub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tafaridub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 8:25pm
Thank you both ! and what are all units necessary in order to reproduce the preamp's sound ? 
actually, jts and mostec look very busy at this time... 

what must be added to the wood and the speaker itself for that it works ? (sorry, bad english... I hope you understand me) 

do you think it's better for me to use a premade system, such as those proposed on Thomann (Basis bundle for example), instead of trying to build my own sound system ? 

which kinds of good delays, with "hold" function can be found, except the REALLY expensive BOSS DE 200 or all famous tape delays (such as roland's space echo)

cheers ! :-)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Saul Saul wrote:

pre-amps arent really essential - theyre effectively a load of outboard units squeezed into one box. 

their biggest downfall is the inability to delay freq. bands. 

if you take all the components in a pre-amp, but as seperate units, you will end up with the same sound. I.e. active xover, parametric EQ, etc
I agree,and if something in the chain breaks down you can replace that component where as in a preamp you normally have to send it to the maker for fixing. The trick is to have the ability cut the bass or tops and still be able to mc or lay sound effects on top. Normal kill switches are not ideal but some are better than others. I have wired up my home set up like the following-
Numark ppd9000-master and sub bass o/p- soundcraft compact 4 ( one channel for bass & one for tops with the eq set to cut bass) mic & siren to sound craft. The master o/p to tube pre with parameteric eq. Bass can be taken either from the monitor o/p on the soundcraft or active x-over after the tube eq. 
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Saul Saul wrote:

Unfortunately Saul you won't...

Outboard/pre-amps have their own advantages/disadvantages.

Some wishing to build a soundsytem, should hang out with people who own one first,  or talk to people like Ligwa/Jah Tubbys/Rensaab.

Otherwise you will waste a lot of money.

Maybe this question should be posted in Roots and Culture..

Edited by levyte357 - 14 March 2010 at 8:46pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
tafaridub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tafaridub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 8:45pm
I see you live in London... Perhaps you've got a sound as well ?
I you do, we can simply meet up ! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>