Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to wire lots of piezo tweeters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bitNum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 6:49am
Hello everyone,

Thanks all for your replies,

@Jake_Fielder

thanks for the links, i searched the forum the past few months on most of the problems we had so far in building the system and all problems were solved except wiring this piezos. In searching the forum i ve read many posts about how awful piezos sound but the piezos were already bought and a box was build by my friend without much research done. The good thing is that he also bought compression drivers so we are covered sound wise.  I would like to wire the piezos and hear how they sound and maybe then bin them or burn them as other have stated already. 

As for series and parallel wiring, done some web research and came up with this wiring 

will this work? if yes what amp will do without burning a hole in our pockets and end up blown?

@ djk
I think they are the cheapest you can find, all i was told is that they are 8 ohms and 25 watts each
and the brand is Marksonic, model dmp-1535. 

Edited by 2bitNum - 20 March 2010 at 7:09am
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 10:39am
Originally posted by 2bitNum 2bitNum wrote:

will this work? if yes what amp will do without burning a hole in our pockets and end up blown?

Seems the combined power handling of that box is approximately 450W (25x18)
I have the perfect amp for you.

Matrix STR1500 - 750W per channel @ 4 ohms.

So you would have a little under double the power required to drive 1x cab per channel.

If you have comps with 100W power handling,  you would have enough power to drive 2x comps per channel with humongous headroom.

The amp will probably do 3x comps per channel with enough headroom, as 2.66 ohms stereo loading with signal input of 1khz+, does'nt draw much current.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 11:32am

good piezos will and usually do outperform most compression drivers when used for their correct purpose. - especially when used with a capacitor and 10/15w resistor. 

as above.  search series/parallel speaker wiring on the net.  it will explain how to wire them to maintain a useable total impedance.  i wouldnt be too worried about making a very low impedance total circuit.  you gonna be dealing with above 4-5khz which wont put stress on any amp (even when driven below the minimum impedance of the amp.   
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 11:38am
I currently have 10 motorala piezos running as the top end in my system.
How i went about it after much research was to wire a 20w 40r resistor in series with every piezo and then connect them all in parallel.
I you are planning to use two boxes of ten i would recomend 80r resistors.
The piezos are activly crossed at about 8k above jbl 2" comps.
If i had £200 to spend i would probably just buy some jbl bullets but i think its amazing how much £20 worth of piezos add to the system.
I would still hold fire untill djk gets back as he is the expert on the matter.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 11:42am
Originally posted by 2bitNum 2bitNum wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thanks all for your replies,

@Jake_Fielder

thanks for the links, i searched the forum the past few months on most of the problems we had so far in building the system and all problems were solved except wiring this piezos. In searching the forum i ve read many posts about how awful piezos sound but the piezos were already bought and a box was build by my friend without much research done. The good thing is that he also bought compression drivers so we are covered sound wise.  I would like to wire the piezos and hear how they sound and maybe then bin them or burn them as other have stated already. 

As for series and parallel wiring, done some web research and came up with this wiring 

@ djk
I think they are the cheapest you can find, all i was told is that they are 8 ohms and 25 watts each
and the brand is Marksonic, model dmp-1535. 

The configuration above does not match with your stated 10 piezos per cab as it appears to be 2 sets of 9.

Would suggest you wire the 10 in 5 sets of 2 in series then parallel them all down. This would work out thus 16+16+16+16+16, parallel would then be 16/5 = 3.2 ohms per box. This should be well within the comfort zone of most amps. Behringer EP1500/2500 are readily available quite cheap and both would do the job.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 12:33pm
Marksonic, model dmp-1535.

I need a link to something, Google comes up with nothing.
djk
Jez_3phaze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jez_3phaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 1:29pm
@2bitNum

As Jake said. Not sure how many units per box, as your diagram could mean 9 or 18?

I'll assume 9 as shown
Now I'm no expert... Before someone shoots me down!

But one thing I can see on your diagram is the Piezo on its own at the bottom will get more power than the rest.

You may need to compromise ohms to achieve power shared equally between all units.
The diagrams are just a idea not statement! Maybe someone has a better idea :-)

Edited by Jez_3phaze - 24 March 2012 at 10:36am
2bitNum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bitNum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 2:42pm
Sorry my mistake with that picture, i want to wire ten units in one box

this what i wanted to post

@Jez_3phaze

im very new at this so i will probably go with what you guys suggest . In your 10 Units diagram

what does the "8" stands for in the middle of 1st and 3rd speaker?

@djk

i goggled "marksonic piezo" and found this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/219816102/piezo_tweeter_tweeter_tweeter_speaker_super.html  it looks the same and its the same size

i opened one inside not much info in it but maybe someone knows.

Edited by 2bitNum - 20 March 2010 at 2:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jez_3phaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 2:54pm
The 8 stands for 8 ohm resistor. Im still thinking of a better way to equal out 10 units, but have'nt come up with anything yet. I hope you got  the bit about equal load? Thats why I put the resistor there, each Piezo will get equal power.Smile-J

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jez_3phaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 6:14pm

Like These!

rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 6:33pm
resistors also allow a passive crossover to effectively work as if it were running a moving coil driver.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 11:12pm
Didn't think piezo's loaded an amp, arn't they usually like 1000ohms or something?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>