Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to wire lots of piezo tweeters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bitNum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to wire lots of piezo tweeters?
    Posted: 18 March 2010 at 4:11pm

Hi,

Im helping a friend to build his sound system, we are both newbies in speakers and wiring stuff but we are learning as we go along with the build.

We have two boxes with  ten piezo tweeters each and need help on wiring them.

How should we wire them? 

The piezos specs are: 
impedance: 8 Ω and have a 4.7uF 50v CAP solder on the negative pole(is that needed on all of them?)

What amp would you recommend?

Thanks for your time.

trance addict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trance addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 8:02pm
For your ears and for your audience, do yourself a favor :  avoid piezosOuch
"There are two kinds of fools,

One says-this is old and therefore good.

The other says-this is new and therefore better."

-Bob Katz
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 8:09pm
the best thing to do matey is throw em in the bin you can get good comps cheap enough now
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 8:13pm
Well they have bought them already so thats not helpfull really, im not saying i like them but some successful systems use them.

Do you know what series and parallel means regarding wiring?
If so, do two in series, wireed in parrallel with another series pair, if you want to keep it 8r.

Or you could/should really, search the forum as this has been asked before,

(select "any date" when searching)
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

Well they have bought them already so thats not helpfull really, im not saying i like them but some successful systems use them.

+1

PM Rensaab/Tekasis/HMSS/Ligwa & other "RootsnCulture" regulars..

Or even better, put question in Roots and Culture section...
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 9:02pm
Wire them in parallel ... across the mains ;)
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
haloweenhamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haloweenhamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 9:45pm
u beat me to it i was goin to suggest across the mains
but they r almost indestructible 
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 10:45pm
Perhaps this person could have searched, but christ, he (i assume) is starting a sound system and has asked a question, and is being more polite than most new people on here. Why not help a little?

Read these threads, you should find some good info on here,

http://www.forum.speakerplans.com/piezo-link-up_topic25866_page2.html
http://www.forum.speakerplans.com/wiring-piezos-help-needed-please_topic15188_post145370.html
http://www.forum.speakerplans.com/how-should-i-power-4x-piezos_topic13406_page3.html

Strange daze puts it well in a previous thread;
Originally posted by strange daze strange daze wrote:

If ya gonna use piezos, just buy a premade box...
They are not really recommended to be honest tho..
The Motorolas are okay, but most piezos are very fatiguing on the ears, harsh sounding....but cheap.
Save up and get some proper compression drivers buddy :)

My first sound system was a box of piezos in the shape of a face and 4x15" emminence boxes, run off a hi-fi amp with no crossover, still it was loud enough for the 20-50 people that came to our little parties, and to be honest no body even commented negativly on the sound. I had more fun then than i do now, running a system 10x the power and price, with 10x the number of people attending... and probably 10x the sound quality!

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 18 March 2010 at 10:47pm
Dougies Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dougies Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 10:58pm
+ 1 for being helpful. We were all new at one point.....

Although I do think it's a good idea to point out the serious drawbacks of using piezo's

He asks about amps suggesting there's a bit of cash to spare? In which case, might be worth splitting the budget slightly and replacing the piezo's with some comps and horns?

Best use of the budget.....?
jonny2bad4509 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonny2bad4509 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 11:17pm
Why is people so negative sometimes the guy clearly state that he is new to the business and needs help, he ask a question if you know you answer if you dont then dont tell people to bin there stuff cause non of us started out as expert
Bomeranks Sound The Party Sound
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 1:25am
What brand and model piezo are they?

If it has a cap on it it is likely to have a transformer built in (like a LeSon), and must be treated differently from a regular piezo.

Edited by _djk_ - 19 March 2010 at 1:36am
djk
2bitNum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bitNum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 6:37am
double post sorry

Edited by 2bitNum - 20 March 2010 at 6:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>