Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Planar Wave horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Slater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 1:01pm

@ nexus where did you get that design from?

i was just about to try simulating it in akabak and it had gone!

Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by james, ind.st james, ind.st wrote:

probably a silly question, but i'm assuming to load the driver you shimmy it
past the mouth brace and then climb half in side the cab to bolt it in?
pictures would indeed be nice, plots would be nicer.

james.

you got it right James

unfortunately there are no building pics for this one

I hope the customer will send me some pics when he has time
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by buffas buffas wrote:

Originally posted by Nexus_3 Nexus_3 wrote:

It looks like I'll have some new toys for a few days

I have a custom order for some really powerfull subs

the sub used will be Selenium 18SW1P
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7& Partnumber=264-438&ctab=10

2 questions:

Can you explain the hornloading part of this box?.. In other words: How do I do the math to design that horn?... Are we talking Helmholz resonators or ?

Why does the handles on your drawing say "Cobra PWH" :-)... Did you measure a PWH sub or are you just using the outside dimensions and retuning it to suit the Selenium driver?

/peter

1. the design is still using a Helmhols resonator, but beside that there is a waveguide in front of the speaker.

this subwoofer acts like a horn above 60Hz but below it's like any bassreflex design,
It's a bit weird, but it is not based on sims and serious design, for the simple reason that I have no programs that can simulate this thing.

Trial and error is the key word.

2. it says cobra pwh because I used the picture of the cab made by dynacord to draw that picture.

P.S.
Dynacord subs do not look like that on the inside
They use resonators inside the mouth of the waveguide, and that causes some problems, because in theyr design the sub sounds BAD at close range
By extending the resonators at the waveguide mouth we were able to corect some phase abnomalies thay ocured in the previous design, and make it sound much better at close range.
Dynacord's problem came from the fact that the resonators worked inside a horn that was not able to sustain the long wavelenght that they produced.

this design is smaller than dynacord's by about 30% and sounds better

Ex Nexus_3
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by dave dave wrote:

@ nexus where did you get that design from?

i was just about to try simulating it in akabak and it had gone!

that design is posted on my forum

I used a free hosting to store it, but now it should work again.

Ex Nexus_3
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2006 at 5:34pm

Ex Nexus_3
Dave Slater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Slater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 7:00am

cool i'll see what i can do

TDA-Audio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDA-Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 1:14pm
PoteirosCorp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoteirosCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2006 at 9:16am
Hey TDA, have you more information from de plan of your photo ?? Size of the ports, wich drivers use, ect, etc ??

Thank you
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 6:25pm
~like yamaha patent?

link by DJK when trying to figure out "basspipe"

http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect 2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm& r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5313525.WKU.&OS=PN/5313525&a mp;RS=PN/5313525

Edited by freddyi - 06 April 2006 at 6:31pm
navsys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote navsys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 7:21am

Looks like that patent has expired, so no problems with making this type of speaker.

I was wondering what frequency have you made the front waveguide resonate at? The front waveguide looks a little short to me, so whilst the extra width pulls the resonant frequency down, doesn't it reduce the loading on the driver at the higher frequencies? 

Would a small triangular section in front of the speaker to act as a throat into a small section of horn load the speaker better?

They look rather attractive in that you can ( with a few modifications to the dimensions) make one out of a single sheet of ply (apart from the bracing and vents)

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 12:46am

"Looks like that patent has expired, so no problems with making this type of speaker"

The Yamaha patent is still active, but may not be a problem unless you are going to build for retail sale.

This type of patent runs for 17 years from date of issue. Newer patents run 20 years from date of application (after being granted). This ends up being about the same length of time as it takes about 3 years after applicatin before they issue.

Paul Voigt used a 1/4 W stub with his designs back in the '30s, I doubt if a modern patent would stand up to litigation.

The design from Nexus_3 looks well thought out.

Edited by _djk_ - 08 April 2006 at 12:47am
djk
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2006 at 5:35am

Ex Nexus_3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>