Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTH 4654

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2010 at 4:42am
Nice build.
Beatdaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 2:27am
Originally posted by FlipC FlipC wrote:

Nice build.
Thanks man!
I'm going to fire it up tomorrow!
A lot bigger than the ms-18's.....
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 8:35am
I hope you wear riggers gloves when moving them!!!

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Drimacoustic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drimacoustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 1:49pm
You should definitely round over the handles also from inside. Nice build though, let us know how do they sound. I think that Sigma is not the best choice of driver for this cab.
love begins below 40Hz
Beatdaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 9:01pm
Tried two drivers out today:)
The sigma sounded awesome ... Reminded me of the x-1 but goes a little farther up.
Crossed at 30 hz highpass 120 lowpass , this is a loud box!
Then i put a cheap ebay driver zyp-18 in that i had in a sub 18 for about a year, almost as good !
crossed at 35 hz highpasss and 110 lowpass, WOW!
I'm getting a c18-650el reconed , I'll try that next......
Also I'm using a driverack pa and a crown xls 402 bridged for these tests...
Overall this thing is amazing , but then again .... It is GIGANTIC!!!!!!!!
P.S. 
       Thanks for the tip on the handles:)
VentureSound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 3:00am
I've just been testing two MTH4654 that were made for me by Tomschute, and very nice they are too! I've loaded them with Eighteensound 21LW1400, and after doing some early listening tests, I don't care about the "wasted space". Actually, if you think about it you could use that space, let's say for an active amp module? Big smile
So, more details about the sound of the cab: I was comparing one cab of the MTH to one box of our BPH double 18s which are very similar to an F218. For most jobs these do very well, and i'm happy with them, but wanted to try something new, (and with more sub) hence the MTH. Physically the boxes are about the same volume, so a bit of a comparison is useful I think.
Ok, so there aren't really many suprises here, but audibly the F218  appears louder for the same input signal (so we are comparing 2x 18" to 1x 21"). Actually the 218 is not that much louder, the single 21" does very very well against the two 18s.  Could the extra perceived volume from the 218 be distortion? On paper they have a similar sensitivity, around 103db for MTH and 105dB for the 218.
The 218 has a harder kick, no suprise there either. The sound from the 218 hits you in the chest, whereas the MTH does not. You can hear the kick from the MTH its just not as strong as the 218. The transients from the 218 are audibly quicker and more punchy.
Now, for sub the MTH clearly wins. The bass notes from the MTH sound very clean and a single cab sounds like it plays lower than the 218, which it probably does.  The sound from the MTH is very pleasant to listen to on its own and is non fatiguing, which a 218 can be at full chat. To be fair to the 218, I normally use these in stacks of three, and they sound pretty good like that, with enough 'sub' for most applications.
Overall I really like the sound of the MTH. It produces lovely clean bass and there is no honking or colouration that I could hear. I played a variety of music through the cab and could hear basslines going up and down, each note clearly distinguishable from the other. Sounded like the response was pretty flat with no nasty peaks. I was crossing from about 25Hz to 120Hz. I spoke to Marc the designer and he suggested some EQ to liven up the kick. That's what i'll try next.
What i'd really like to do is hear a stack of eight of these driven by a pair of Crown IT8000s, which should be something quite fun indeed!  Tom, i'll be in touch shortly. Wink

Below are a few photos of the finished MTHs. Sorry about the pic quality but I had to do them in a hurry with my phone. I will also try and put some better ones up later, from when they were being made by Tom.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 3:13am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 3:21am

Where are the sockets for input!
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 9:46am
Im guessing in the recess on the back of them, just looks like the holes aren't cut yet
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 10:41am
there the new wireless neutrik series Wink
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 1:43pm
Haven't you heard Toasty? Neutrik developed the new wireless series after Tom developed the Inductive Synergy Drive (similar to the Toyota Prius, but a lot less shit). You just sit the cab next to the amp, and it knows what to do!

Beatdaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 12:14am
Putting a beyma 18g550 in next!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>