Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ɤɤ Show Off Your Homemade HiFi Speakers ɤɤ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2010 at 9:19am
Looks like a nice solid lump. Was the x/o a simple one.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2010 at 9:28am
12db/oct butterworth @ 2.5K ish. No shaping componenents or zobel, and a series resistor on the comp.

25mm MDF with one shelf brace.  Volt and Scan-Speak Revelator.

Tony
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2010 at 9:34am
Excellent parts. Do you find that listening to these types of cabs is just as enjoyable as listening to big PA. I only ask because when I got into it, I was hearing much more content out of small cabs than I would ever get for a PA system, and the imaging is a 1000 times better.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2010 at 9:41am
nice!
thought I recognized the drivers
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2010 at 9:46am
Tony,  To be honest I have NEVER heard a big P.A. that gets close to the sound of a good Hi-Fi system.

I think that part of the problem with imaging comes from the fact that because  the physical size of your typical PA stack is just so large and obviously multiple drivers especially at the top end no matter how well they are focused is just going to compromise everything.

I know that Line Array systems has got a bad rep on here but the closest I have heard a system to Hi-Fi was a small scale ground stacked LA.

I don't think that large scale rigs of any persuasion will ever be Hi-Fi in the proper sense at least with current technology.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 19 September 2010 at 9:47am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2010 at 2:34pm

Sorry about the quality of the photo, done in a hurry with my phone, couldn't be bothered to find the real camera!

Still very much a work in progress (although progress has stalled for some time).  There is a pair but thought a pic of one and the rack which runs them would be more interesting.

Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 10:52am
The loo-horn for home craps...
Loo horn

...hard to get on it.
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

The loo-horn for home craps...
Loo horn

...hard to get on it.

cool!

just write R MUTT on it and sell to a HiFi nut.LOL

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 8:28pm
Talk about pounding the porcelain.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

I know that Line Array systems has got a bad rep on here but the closest I have heard a system to Hi-Fi was a small scale ground stacked LA.

Ha, funny you should say that, I've found the same and I wasn't sure whether it was me imagining things.

It was a couple of years back (when I was less speaker geeky) so I don't remember what it was, and there were only three or four boxes in the array, so not enough to form a line, but it sounded great.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:18am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:21am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>