Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ɤɤ Show Off Your Homemade HiFi Speakers ɤɤ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 11:02am
Are you sure you didnt work for one of the Egyptian pharoahs in a previous life Tony?

Edited by jbl_man - 21 September 2010 at 4:52pm
Be seeing you.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Are you sure you didnt work for one of the Egyptian pharoahs in a previous life Tony?
they used to pay him half a Denari
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 4:35pm
You've solved a problem I've had. I thought I had dandruff, it was obviously sand.
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 11:59pm

Seeing as I started off this thread, it's about time I posted a reply!

That's a nice set of custom builds you've got there Tony and they're some pretty serious mids you've got there!  Volt VM752's by any chance?

I see you've also been using 'ring radiator' tweeters, how do you like their sound in comparison to conventional soft dome tweeters?  I was very impressed with their performance especially considering the low price they cost!

Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

very nice RosscoPico, very nice indeed, not sure about placement though

looks like he owes you a few more favours

I'll show you mine soon

Look foward to seeing yours as always!

I'd set up the floorstanders in a much more typical symmetrical fashion, however my mate decided that he wanted more stereo width and he found that the new arrangement caused less issues with reflections in the room.  Unfortunately it's a awkward room for speaker placement when considering the room characteristics and other furniture placement!  He's very happy now with the setup so I'm not going to try and interfere with his stereo setup now.,

Originally posted by ermita ermita wrote:

RosssoPico is that a kitcken worktop finish on the front of the Speaker.  Ikea doing loads of that a few months back for a real dirt cheap. wish i had a garage....... 

Both very nice speaker by the way.

You've got it spot on!  It's a kitchen worktop, solid oak and 40mm in thickness.  I rubbed in some natural danish oil to give the finish a nice contrast with the patterns.

It was surplus to requirements from a friend so I recycled it, but it still cost me £200 for half a worktop sheet!

As for the other projects posted:-

perttu - very nice finish, superb quality - looks like the cabs have been veneered, how many ply is the exterior finish on those?  The reason you've had comments about kits is that they look too good to be homemade!  So that's a compliment for sure....  I still want to try veneering speakers but I didn't want to risk it on a build for a friend as I didn't expect that I'd manage to pull it off very well on a first attempt!

Tony Wilkes - your cabinets look understated (not saying they look bad btw!) however I can imagine they sound very clear and accurate.  I used to have some 'Living Voice' floorstanders which used the D2905/950000 tweeters and they had a very natural and non-fatiguing sound.  So would like to hear what yours sound like!

So Chris, your floorstanders look interesting...I was considering trying out some ribbons that looked just like those - I've always been very curious about ribbons but I know that they can sometimes be very difficult to integrate well.  How do you find yours generally sound?

And finally Ibex, wtf that is weird!!  Good to have some music whilst reading the newspaper during an extended crapping session :)

.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 8:32am
Hi Rossco, The tweeters in the cab are Scanspeak so they are expensive, however I have produced a cab with the same bass speaker, but budget domes and radiator tweeters, they come from within the same company group as Scanspeak. Excellent results but a more involved cross over to make them work, so sensitivity is down a bit. 
The mids ate Volts, All my stuff started life with ATC components, but It's easier to work with Volt and the mid unit is better.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 9:01am
Hi Rossco:

Regarding the ribbons, they are actually made by TangBand and distributed by Monacor.  They are very well made though and that is reflected in the price still being fairly high.  The soft dome midrange is from the same place and also very impressive.  The sound from both drivers is very natural and incredibly detailed.  The ribbons are particularly good on cymbals etc.

The integration between the two with a 5kHz passive crossover is pretty seamless.  I have more of an issue with the integration between the 10" and the midrange, probably because of the spacing, something which will be sorted in the final version.  One issue with the ribbon/soft dome combo is that one is set back into the baffle and one sits proud.  I can't hear any time/phase alignment issues but I will be setting the soft dome back into the baffle further to minimise the path length difference.

I'm wondering whether it would be worth the effort to build a transmission line for the Volt 10" drivers.  They work fine in the reflex box although a little EQ is required to bring the bottom octave up for a flat response.

I should really get round to doing an RTA measurement of them, I've just done it all by ear so far.

Also on the to-do list are the amplifiers, unfortunately my amp designs have stalled for various reasons, mainly lack of time.

Edited by ceharden - 24 September 2010 at 9:03am
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 10:42am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Looks like a nice solid lump. Was the x/o a simple one.

Should fix all the cross over components including the power resistors to a piece of ply wood.
Or has that already been done?
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 8:49pm

Edited by TONY.A.S.S. - 24 September 2010 at 8:51pm
perttu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 12:41am
Originally posted by RosscoPico RosscoPico wrote:

perttu - very nice finish, superb quality - looks like the cabs have been veneered, how many ply is the exterior finish on those?  The reason you've had comments about kits is that they look too good to be homemade!  So that's a compliment for sure....  I still want to try veneering speakers but I didn't want to risk it on a build for a friend as I didn't expect that I'd manage to pull it off very well on a first attempt!

I think i used 2 strips of about 0,3x1,5m ply. All ply was something less than 10 euros, so it's quite cheap. Veneering takes time and especially beech is quite hard to put on because of its long fibres (cracks easily when warming with iron). I can still recommend veneering and maybe it's easier to start with some ply with short fibres.

Edited by perttu - 26 September 2010 at 12:42am
S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 12:47am

The mids ate Volts, All my stuff started life with ATC components, but It's easier to work with Volt and the mid unit is better.

Ahh you've made my mind up now Tony, I was wondering whether to go for the upgrade... (ive got the non-super ATC's and you can't get the Supers at the moment).

Where do you cross the domes over at? (On the bottom end....) I see PMC use a 380Hz Xover ... but theirs may be modified?

Edited by S DeXter - 26 September 2010 at 12:50am
Enjoy your self...... It's later than you think.......
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 8:26am
I cross over at around 400hz. It took a while getting used to the fact that you have to crossover that high, from bass  to mid especially from a dedicated bass speaker. However, the bass speakers are linear, and it sounds very coherent.
S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 5:46pm

I cross over at around 400hz. It took a while getting used to the fact that you have to crossover that high, from bass  to mid especially from a dedicated bass speaker. However, the bass speakers are linear, and it sounds very coherent.

I see. Volt seem to think the VM752 doesn't drop that low ? (They suggest 500Hz as I recall?).
Enjoy your self...... It's later than you think.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>