Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preamp schematics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Shamrock Shamrock wrote:

Tweet: Well, Im not gonna build a valve pre, because thats a bit over my head right now... And by the way you have no idea why I want to check this schematic out... Dont really know why I bother telling you but why I want to have it is because im studying electroengineering at university and trying to figure schematics out is a good way to learn. Also I want to check how the Linkwitz-Reily filters are designed in a pre actually in use... So dont you worry, I WONT COPY Tubbs design, Im just interested in the basics of it to be able to build myself a simple pre to get my sound started...

well whateva your reasons are dont u think you should ask the preamp designers for 'there' schematics, i mean after all you did ask for the Tubbys n Mostoc schematics specifically!! and both of there products are currently in production and not discontinued

Originally posted by Il_Duce Il_Duce wrote:

Hi Shamrock,

Yes you are correct that there is no such thing as copyright on a schematic - FACT - only copyright on printed circuit board artwork/layout. There is nothing new about most circuits, nothing original either. How many ways are there to string resistors and capacitors together? - Not alot. So with regards to the other comments here, I wouldn't pay them any mind. Also it is perfectly legal to reverse engineer a circuit - FACT - so whether you copy a "Tubbs" design or not is really a moral rather than legal dilemma.

I think if you do a bit more research, you'll find that the schematic that Joseph Redemption posted on here will allow you to build a preamp minus the valves - just a bit bit more research and you'll be there!!

interesting, never knew the legal side of it

Originally posted by PISSHEAD PISSHEAD wrote:

Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

Im fairly certain that schematic for the pre with the valve amps is the one he created after taking apart a tubbys one and modifying it. There is a story that goes (and i dont know if this is true) that Russ D was over in switzerland using that modified pre and he couldnt get enough bass out of it so they switched to a standard tubbys.

Yes but didn't Joe say that it was because they had to connect the pre-amp into another seperate crossover which caused a conflict of frequencies.

that sounds weird, why would they "have" to plug into another crossover? Confused

Edited by tweeter box - 17 September 2010 at 11:04am
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 11:33am

Could be cos they had a 3 way pre but needed to split the bands further or tune to their desired frequencies.

LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

that sounds weird, why would they "have" to plug into another crossover? Confused

Its not that weird at all. I go from a 3 way tubbys into a 4way digital lms. This gives me a 3 way control over the sound but I get the benifits of having a properly tuned 4 way system.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
russ d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 4:41pm
no external crossover was used when we checked the modded pre-amp, we unplugged and used the same cables from amps for both units.

Disciples on I-Tunes.

Disciples on Bandcamp: http://russdisciples.bandcamp.com/

Facebook: russ disciple

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sargantbrown?feature=mhum
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 10:02pm
Russ was the unmodified pre heavier?
russ d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Nitz V1505 Nitz V1505 wrote:

Russ was the unmodified pre heavier?

it most certainly was, the modded (which was`nt a valve modded, but had other component `upgrades `) sounded weak and kinda wishy washy, almost like the bass was out of phase, which was`nt the case with regards to the system which, as said, played fine with the unmodded pre...i remember really trying to ramp up the bass controls to get something happening but it was a no go.
Disciples on I-Tunes.

Disciples on Bandcamp: http://russdisciples.bandcamp.com/

Facebook: russ disciple

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sargantbrown?feature=mhum
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 2:01am
bur brownsDead as much drive in them as a reliant robbin unless you correct them then your defeating the objective 
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 11:21am

The old saying comes to mind-If it aint broke than dont try to fix it!!!! Maybe Joe added valves to the o/p when he realised the drive problem. The phase issues sound x-over related to me . Give thanx for the info Russ.Star

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123