Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultradrive DCX2496 Gain, Clip & Limiter Setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by massisoda massisoda wrote:

Originally posted by colinmono colinmono wrote:

Yep that's right. For maximum safety use the maximum release time.

Maximum release time is 4000 ms,is not too much?

thank you Tongue

All depends on the program material, and the person driving the input to the DCX.
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 5:20pm
i originally thought that the berry limiters wouldnt do the job, but i was wrong.

Set up correctly i've had a dj spank the living daylights out of a mixer with the limit lights on solidly for hours and provided you've set the limiters correctly nothing gets toasted. ok it sounds a bit crap when being abused so heavily, but you just cant tell some people.

i know how to set the limit for the system its running, and its absolutely fine.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can allow you to be miserable in comfort.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 7:05pm
Quote The limiters on the dcx also often don't go low enough

If you bring the channel gains up on the input section then the signal will be at a higher level where it enters the limiter, meaning the threshold can be set effectively. If the DCX output is then too strong for the amp, turn the output channel gains down.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

massisoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massisoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by chilli chilli wrote:

i originally thought that the berry limiters wouldnt do the job, but i was wrong.

Set up correctly i've had a dj spank the living daylights out of a mixer with the limit lights on solidly for hours and provided you've set the limiters correctly nothing gets toasted. ok it sounds a bit crap when being abused so heavily, but you just cant tell some people.

i know how to set the limit for the system its running, and its absolutely fine.

how do you set it?
Italian Sound
massisoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massisoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 7:27pm

Originally posted by massisoda massisoda wrote:

Yep that's right. For maximum safety use the maximum release time.

Maximum release time is 4000 ms,is not too much?

thank you Tongue

All depends on the program material, and the person driving the input to the DCX.

We play music of every type for party(dance,pop,rock,techno,house ecc ecc).we use
a pc for source connected to a usb mixer(Proel m8 usb).After the mixer a DBX 266Xl,then a digital equalizer connected to te pc a Alto Digan 2.30,and then two dcx2496(the system is a four way,before we have two cx3400)....
Italian Sound
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 9:51pm
The 4000mS for system protection is ideal. You dont want it much shorter or it'll come out of gain reduction before the thing that triggered it has gone! The unwanted result would be dynamic compression or system pumping which could stress the sound system more, not less.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

LionsPaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionsPaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

Quote The limiters on the dcx also often don't go low enough

If you bring the channel gains up on the input section then the signal will be at a higher level where it enters the limiter, meaning the threshold can be set effectively. If the DCX output is then too strong for the amp, turn the output channel gains down.

Are you sure? I've just tried to set the limiters and find that the amp clips before the limiters come on, even set at a minmium threshold. 
 Using what you said and turning the input gain up and the output gain down, it appears that turning down the output gain down stops the limiter from coming on at all.
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:13pm

Im also new to all of this, but should it not be the other way around?

The signal reaches the output gain first and then the xover,eq limiter etc. at least thats what the manual says.
So I think a higher output gain would be more beneficial to let the limiter cut the signal.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:33pm
Quote turning down the output gain down stops the limiter from coming on at all.

In my V1.1 manual on disc it shows the output gain as being before the limiter in the block diagram, so what you say happens I'd agree with. But I've played to my hearts content with a couple here and in installs and the output gain hasn't altered the level that drives the limiter. Maybe there are different firmware versions around?
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:44pm
Latest firmware is 1.6
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 9:54pm
We have 2 DCX's and the limiters are fine better if set correct. Nothing is better than good old fashion standing behind the foh console turning it down tho IMHO.
Before I have put a note on the decks saying if you red line it hard I will turn the monitors off, Turn them off and watch the level come down!

Jace
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123