Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Internals 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 260>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

well this one's gone wrong.
Crown have used rebadged Phonics for some time now at the lower end and the bigger XLS models

It makes one wonder why would someone invest in the XLS offering a Phonic Transformer and not just buy a Phonic Amplifier with equal amount of output power at a lower price point?

Best Regards,

Like some Peavey/Crest amps. The Crest badge will cost you more than the equivalent Peavey.

The things some will do to feel accepted by others is mortifying! LOL

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
jonny2bad4509 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonny2bad4509 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 8:34pm
So whats wrong with a crown using a phonics transformer. Almost every product on this planet uses another manufacturer components. This is off topic a bit but the classic example Samsung makes parts for IPhone. Am not bashing just trying to understand
Bomeranks Sound The Party Sound
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by jonny2bad4509 jonny2bad4509 wrote:

So whats wrong with a crown using a phonics transformer. Almost every product on this planet uses another manufacturer components. This is off topic a bit but the classic example Samsung makes parts for IPhone. Am not bashing just trying to understand

Crown used to be one of the Rolls Royces of amplification.
To older chaps it's a bit like buying a Bentley and finding a VW or BMW engine. Oh wait.......
It's everything, not everythink!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2017 at 10:06pm
the amp is made by Phonic
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 2:50am
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Crowns budget amps were made by Phonic? I seem to remember the XLS-5000 was well discussed on this very forum about having the same internals as a similar Phonic model?
Anyways, back to the LPS range. Horrible. I have had the mis-fortune of using one of these amps when doing a job. It picked up a load of noise & distortion from the tri-led Par cans I was using. Bad RF filtering i'd say. On the plus side I had one of my own amp racks I could switch the thing out for. Problem solved.
The only time i've ever had a similar issue was when I had the mis-fortune to do a job through a pair of Behringer B-300 speakers (first generation active cabs). Similar problems, utter garbage!
Cheers, Chris.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Wikl109 Wikl109 wrote:

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Crowns budget amps were made by Phonic?

When Crown made all their amplifiers in the United States, their low-line models used fewer parts which, offered limitation based upon how low of an impedance load the low-line model could handle. The most obvious were using fewer TO-3 semiconductors in their low-line models as oppose their high-line models. 

From a power supply standpoint, all Crown amplifiers offered a robust Power Transformer. A prime example would be the Crown Macro-Tech 2400 versus a Crown Power-Tech 3. The Crown Macro-Tech offered two 15 A Power Transformers whereas the Crown Power-Tech 3 offered one 30 A Power Transformer.

Despite the Crown Power-Tech 3 offering a 4-ohm minimum load in stereo mode, the power supply residing in the Crown Power-Tech 3 is just as robust as their Crown Macro-Tech 2400. The Crown Power-Tech Series cost half the price of the Macro-Tech Series offering the same amount of power at 8 - 4 ohms Stereo Mode when they were in production.

So it does seem odd for many as I, to see a company as Crown known for making amplifiers, seek out to Phonic known for making a wide variety of products today, when Crown used to do it on their own when they made all their Amplifiers in the United States. I would imagine that may be one of the pitfalls of being one out of many companies in Harmon's portfolio.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 04 February 2017 at 6:25pm
Elliot Thompson
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 6:48pm
Is Phonic part of the Harman group, Elliott?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2017 at 2:53pm
Phonic is not listed in Harmon's portfolio.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Miles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 7:31pm
Dynacord ST 2200 - 2x200watts - 20kg -  approx. built in the late 1970's still going strong...

Edited by Miles - 07 February 2017 at 7:33pm
bcs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 10:58am
crest cks

Edited by bcs - 17 February 2017 at 11:00am
bcs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 2:38pm
sorry above pics on a crest I recently bought.

mike

Edited by bcs - 17 February 2017 at 2:38pm
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2017 at 12:12am
Philips capacitors. Probably the last batch made in Holland before Philips moved to China. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 260>