Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Internals 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 192193194195196 260>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2016 at 1:45am
Originally posted by M4trix M4trix wrote:

I have orgasms when I see amps with 2SA1295/2SC3264 in the output. Rugged, fast and powerful bipolar transistors ! Hug

+1000
Back in the days, when I compared 200V/15A class transistors from Motorola Toshiba and Sanken, the latter was clearly the best sounding. Motorola has nice mids but lacks on bass. Toshiba was lifeless sounding. But Sanken, yummy bass and lovely mids. It brings joy to the music Approve
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2016 at 12:51pm
The transistor itself cannot "control or modify bass".
The schematic where is implemented can do, regarding Damping Factor of amplifier.

Edited by DjLeco - 16 October 2016 at 12:52pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2016 at 2:02pm
+1

Those Sanken transistors are wider than the normal TO-3P devices, so better thermal transfer. They also seem to be more robust, maybe a bigger/better die.

A while back I broke open a load of A1943/C5200's from various suppliers (mainly ebay types) to see how different the dies where. It was crazy. Most of them looked like crap. I really don't trust those devices anymore, especially when they come attached to some cheapo amp.    Ouch

Edited by Earplug - 16 October 2016 at 2:04pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2016 at 2:08pm
Completely agree....beware of buying budget devices on ebay,way to many fake parts being flogged off,as you say Earplug,break them open,rubbish inside.
Be seeing you.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2016 at 5:32pm
Left genuine MJ On Semi, right Fake Motorola.

Fake one:

Left good clone of 2SC5200, right Fairchild (2S)C5200

Edited by DjLeco - 16 October 2016 at 5:32pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2016 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by DjLeco DjLeco wrote:

Left genuine MJ On Semi, right Fake Motorola.

Fake one:

That white paste seems to be common in a lot of fakes. I forgot to say earlier that what kicked me off was finding some fakes among a lot of transistors I bought from my local electronics store. They assured me that they only buy from a proper (legitimate) distributor, but somehow fakes got into the stock, so who do you trust?

I use this circuit to test all power transistors now, but unfortunately it's not going to get them all, just the worst ones:

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2016 at 6:37pm
Original on the right, fake on the left. fake silicon area only 50% of the genuine article.
The fake was PNP while the original NPNLOL
Also note the large amount of voiding in the solder under the fake one on the left that reduces thermal capability.

Edited by Teunos - 16 October 2016 at 6:38pm
Best regards,
Teun.
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2016 at 9:40pm
Speaking of which, the only seller I trust on ebay regarding Sanken and Toshiba transistors is Electronics Salon. Never had problems with his devices. He even smashed couple of his products and showed what he is selling. Thumbs Up Probably there are more honest sellers on ebay but I'm not willing to experiment.

http://stores.ebay.com/Electronics-Salon/High-Power-Bipolar-/_i.html?_fsub=272699419&_sid=804830199&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2016 at 5:08pm
More old-skool stuff. Amp made in Valencia:

Again, a bit scant on the output devices:

Rogue generator damage - fried soft-start:

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2016 at 11:41pm
What's that small PCB with a 14DIP socket and ribbon cables attached to it ?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2016 at 8:57am
That's just a splitter for the cable going to the front panel - input signals and LEDs.

EDIT:  You can see how it works in the first photo above - large cable g£s to the front and 2 smaller ones to the modules.    Smile

EDIT 2: WTF - 'o+e' = '£' ???

Edited by Earplug - 18 October 2016 at 9:03am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2016 at 6:09pm
So, they didn't have enough cable to reach the front panel. LOL Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 192193194195196 260>