Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

usb to dmx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 2:00pm

Edited by supremesoundz - 30 November 2010 at 2:02pm
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Quote You can always try requesting them at AVL Belgium forum

Or just do them yourself, they're not exactly difficult

complete novice at lighting control so this will probably be beyond me, However I am keen to learn. Funny times ...as Im getting more interested in lighting now than sound. Whats going on!!?

The software that wouldnt work off the cuff with the EVLs heads was freestyler

Incidentally is anyone using the £10 version of magicQ and happy with it!? Nice little lighting blackout during a gig doesnt hurt, while you restart the computer!

Edited by supremesoundz - 30 November 2010 at 3:38pm
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 2:40pm
Yes I have it, I brought it when the £60 hadn't been released yet. My gigs aren't critical so rebooting is not a problem.
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 4:12pm
The Robe units are in the Chamsys fixture library but the EVL profile isn't. If you go down the Chamsys route and need a profile made up, I will be happy to do it if you can give me details of the dmx channels. What I would say is that Chamsys is not easy to learn if you are completely new to lighting control and I would urge you to download the software and have a play with it. The manual assumes you know your way around a desk and bits of it read like a foreign language, though it makes more sense as you learn. MagicQ will work with the Enttec dongle (or did last time I checked) but go for the pro version. The same dongle will work for quite a few other software packages as well.
HTH
Andy
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Jasonstry Jasonstry wrote:

The Robe units are in the Chamsys fixture library but the EVL profile isn't. If you go down the Chamsys route and need a profile made up, I will be happy to do it if you can give me details of the dmx channels. What I would say is that Chamsys is not easy to learn if you are completely new to lighting control and I would urge you to download the software and have a play with it. The manual assumes you know your way around a desk and bits of it read like a foreign language, though it makes more sense as you learn. MagicQ will work with the Enttec dongle (or did last time I checked) but go for the pro version. The same dongle will work for quite a few other software packages as well.
HTH
Andy

Thanks, and your offer to help is appreciated. Have just ordered the magicdmx dongle to see if I can get around it ok (out of stock right now but some expected later this week).
Will email you the details of the dmx channels in due course.
Thanks again
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 5:16pm
somewhere in the fixture library there will be an 'create new fixure' option, get the manual for the fixture you are trying to make a profile for, and go through the fixture creator putting the dmx values from the manual in the appropriate places on the new fixture profiler.

For instance blackout will often be on the shutter, say its controlled by channel 5, you put in dmx channel as 5 (or like martin lightjockey does, channel 1 is channel 0 when inserting, so would be channel 4), with the value say 0-10 being shut (so blackout).

In the strobe area, it would also be the shutter so channel 5 (or4) into the channel, slow strobe value would be from 11, fastest strobe maximum value 255.

Same with colour say on channel 3 of its dmx, 0-10 say open (white), 11-20 green, 21-30 red etc etc.

Im making these values up but if you look in the manual and the create new fixture its as easy as filling in the blanks and hoping for the best.

Good luck, Pat
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 5:30pm
There is a create new fixture....obviously...and if the OP wants I will guide him through the process of creating his own. Probably isn't much point, though, unless he is likely to be creating new profiles regularly he will have forgotten how to do it within a week. I did but have had to learn again a few times.

Supremesoundz, you can download the software without buying a dongle.

Andy
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

somewhere in the fixture library there will be an 'create new fixure' option, get the manual for the fixture you are trying to make a profile for, and go through the fixture creator putting the dmx values from the manual in the appropriate places on the new fixture profiler.

For instance blackout will often be on the shutter, say its controlled by channel 5, you put in dmx channel as 5 (or like martin lightjockey does, channel 1 is channel 0 when inserting, so would be channel 4), with the value say 0-10 being shut (so blackout).

In the strobe area, it would also be the shutter so channel 5 (or4) into the channel, slow strobe value would be from 11, fastest strobe maximum value 255.

Same with colour say on channel 3 of its dmx, 0-10 say open (white), 11-20 green, 21-30 red etc etc.

Im making these values up but if you look in the manual and the create new fixture its as easy as filling in the blanks and hoping for the best.

Good luck, Pat

cool, is starting to make a little bit of sense now. Thanks Pat
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 6:01pm
basicly every piece of intelligent lighting will have so many dmx channels (or a choice of);

each channel has functions between a range of 0<255 as specified in the manual;

a channel could be intensity/dimmer, colour, shutter (including blackout), focus, pan, tilt, gobo, prism, gobo rotation, prism rotation etc etc - some more complex heads can easily have 20 channels of DMX with full colour mixing, iris's, multiple gobo wheels etc etc....

Have a play with fixture creators, takes all of about 10minutes to do Thumbs Up
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2010 at 9:09am
Chamsys need to do a simple step by step guide on how to get started with MagicDMX!!
Started the software yesterday and plugged the dongle to a Robe scan but couldnt find a 'fixtures' list on the program. Im trying to start from absolute basics and just want to (for example) get the head to give a beam in a certain colour and gobo in a static position  I realise that magicdmx isnt the easiest programe to use but im confident with that time, effort, and patience I will get my head around it one day soon.
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2010 at 10:13am
On the chamsys main window click patch (ptch) on the right hand side, then choose head at the top, find your fixture and select it, the click patch it at the top, enter number of fixtures and click enter.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2010 at 12:30pm
Also, try the Help button on the software.  The manual built into it is very comprehensive and should get you started.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>