Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hogs vs Supers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack-red-eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hogs vs Supers
    Posted: 03 January 2011 at 7:56pm
How would 6x super scoops loaded with pd 1850's compare with 4x 1850 loaded hogs?

I don't know if what im asking is dumb or not because ive never heard the two cabs in the same room.

Im looking at buying 4 hogs at some point soon but i was thinking of building 6 supers if it will work out cheaper and i will get the same/similar outcome.

edit: my real question is how much does the box actually affect performance?

Any thoughts and any offers of hogs or pd 1850's are apreciated.

Cheers
Jack

Edited by jack-red-eye - 03 January 2011 at 8:07pm
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 8:25pm
4 Hogs is a ton of bass. I remember going into the Phoenix for the Gash-DRSS soundclash and just shoving all the rolly filters in my ears immediately. My ears were still ringing from that a month later.

I've never to my knowledge heard supers but thats not the only time I've heard hogs. To my ears they've always sounded good, generally until someone gets trigger happy with the volume and  it starts being painful.
Don't test the champignon sound
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 9:05pm
I dont know about supers as I have never had a play with them. I have heard 21" 2150 loaded supers and I do have 3 1850 loaded Hogs. I took them out recently alongside Channel one who used 4 of there scoops (I believe loaded with celestion 1000watt drivers but I may be wrong) and I think we managed to keep up on bass pressure. There are others on here who were also at that dance who might have some input.

As for how much will a box affect the performance the answer is a great deal. The hog has longer horn length than the super and a larger mouth area. Both of these allow he hog to go lower than the super before the driver unloades itself.

I dont think a hog build would be significantly harder than a super scoop build so if you want hogs then build em.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
jack-red-eye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack-red-eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 9:23pm
I know a guy who is experienced in building superscoops who has said he would help me as im not experienced in building whatsoever.

Ive heard hogs quite a few times and been very impressed but only ever heard 2 1850 loaded supers and wasnt blown away, this is what lead me to think that 4 hogs could keep up with 6 supers, but i could be very wrong....?
Nick Sasquash View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Sasquash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 9:50pm
Jack... PD1850 aint the right driver for a super scoop ...  also Super scoops are designed to be used in stacks of x3 or x4 really & can sound wicked when loaded with Turbomax 1000, fane 1000, void 1000, pd186, fane XB + nuff others...  Personally I would take 6 correctly loaded supers, altho hogs are a beast
https://operationsoundsystemrecords.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/OperationSoundSystem/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack-red-eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Nick Sasquash Nick Sasquash wrote:

Jack... PD1850 aint the right driver for a super scoop ...  also Super scoops are designed to be used in stacks of x3 or x4 really & can sound wicked when loaded with Turbomax 1000, fane 1000, void 1000, pd186, fane XB + nuff others...  Personally I would take 6 correctly loaded supers, altho hogs are a beast

I know a sound with fane xb loaded supers and although they sound nice they don't give enough shere power output even in stacks of 4 (in my opinion)

But the rest of the drivers mentioned could be very different.

How do they compare in price with the 1850?
p1go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 10:16pm

Super scooper was designed for PD1850 LOL
http://speakerplans.com/images/superscoopa.jpg
Nick Sasquash View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Sasquash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 11:30pm
"Super scooper was designed for PD1850 LOL
http://speakerplans.com/images/superscoopa.jpg"

mmm... i know...  if you had chance to test for yourself or hear the driver-scoop combos i mention you would understand my statement Wink       
Put a 1850 inna Hog different story as Adrian wrote.

Jack I know what you mean with xb's,  loverly sound but cant take anywhere near same power as the others (I ran Xb's for over 10 years in scoops) they are the number 1 budget option tho... Not sure about prices on the rest but have a chat with Roy @ RMJ re: Turbomax & Paulie Paul on here is good on prices for Fane & PD.

https://operationsoundsystemrecords.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/OperationSoundSystem/

johnatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 4:08am
Hey up Jack,
If your gonna get a build on I would go for hogs mate, even with your XBs in them they sound really nice don't think 4 would out perform 6 Supers but would certainly give em a run for the money.
I ran XBs in mine and really liked the sound, plus theirs scope for a link up with us as well as gash. 

I'm gonna start the build of 7 and 8 at some point in the next few months know a guy with a CNC and laser cutter in Manchester so could maybe get them built on that run if you like?
John
Herbal Sessions Sound System   
YoungBlood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoungBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 4:37am
Originally posted by p1go p1go wrote:

Super scooper was designed for PD1850 LOL
http://speakerplans.com/images/superscoopa.jpg

why newby dem love jump in tings before do dem homework ? LOL

Jack... PD1850 aint the right driver for a super scoop ... 

yes nick

lev say void 1000 & wembley bline 800 sound better than even 186 in standard super
but make few mods to super and it turn into beast  with turbomax and fane 1000
"chyll wynstan.."
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 5:46am
Hog = bigger mouth, longer horn

it doesn't take much working out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack-red-eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 10:32am
Originally posted by johnatron johnatron wrote:

Hey up Jack,
If your gonna get a build on I would go for hogs mate, even with your XBs in them they sound really nice don't think 4 would out perform 6 Supers but would certainly give em a run for the money.
I ran XBs in mine and really liked the sound, plus theirs scope for a link up with us as well as gash. 

I'm gonna start the build of 7 and 8 at some point in the next few months know a guy with a CNC and laser cutter in Manchester so could maybe get them built on that run if you like?
John
Herbal Sessions Sound System   

Cheers for the advice John.
Have you still got xb's in your hogs, because if 6 fanes can do what those hogs did on NYE i wont even bother getting 1850's! But im pretty sure you sold some xb's to my bro a couple of moths ago so im guessing you have upgraded.

The problem with building is ive never built anything before! I suppose with lazer cuttings it would be easier but i still don't fancy myself for it.

I was planning on upgrading march-april times so i have a while for some hogs to come up (hopefully)

And have gash not sold off their hogs for USB's?.

And mykey the question wasnt which performs better, its quite obviously the hog.
What i was asking is would 4 hogs keep up with 6 supers?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>