Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJM-600: Output fault + general service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DJM-600: Output fault + general service
    Posted: 09 April 2011 at 4:06pm
Hello all,

As the topic says, I have a dreaded DJM-600 sat here that (apparently) has an output fault: The right channel is dead on the master output, both balanced and undbalanced. (Master 1 & 2) The owner couldn't say what has happened nor in which circumstances. Pfly suggested it might be a case of phantom power damage?

Haven't got round to testing it myself yet though, but I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction: Where to look and if there are any obvious points in the signal chain where damage could occur.

Pointers on what else to check or look out for and possible modifications are also welcome!

Cheers!
(edit: spelling)

Edited by eltron - 09 April 2011 at 5:10pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 6:57pm
Could be something as simple as the master fader or trimpot open circuit on one channel. Does the output meter show both channels present?

Check for beer damage, the tracks are very fine and soon rot through if beer is left on them.

Failing something simple like that, it's time to inject a signal and trace it with the scope.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

eltron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 10:03pm
Thanks for the quick reply!

Just got a chance to fire it up and take a closer look at the problem. All channels are fine, no crackles and full clean sound through headphones and booth out.
Through the main outputs (both 1 and 2, as i stated earlier) the left channel was damped, only a minimal amount of HF present with the main output cranked, right channel gave a healthy signal, a bit distorted though, there was a few nasty crackles on the left channel when i cycled the main fader without audio through. Both channels were present according to the main output meter, checked this through all channels, just to be sure. Seemed like the problem would be the master fader, as you suggested.

But: I decided to try decreasing the main output level which seemed a bit too hot by adjusting VR on the rear. It was, of course, set to full and when I turned it down (after a nasty pop) the output returned to both channels, no crackles no nothing, not even on the main fader, clean sound as far as i could tell...

This really has me scratching my head. I'm a bit torn between "if it's working don't fix it" and wanting to make sure there isn't any beverage damage going on. I guess the main output attenuating VR would be worth replacing. I wasn't able to locate it on the block diagram with my tired eyes right now, will have to try again tomorrow.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 12:50am
change that trimpot, it is in between the master fader and the output driver and is a dual pot for L & R
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Tedski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:07am
Or set fire to it and get a mixer that is not such an utter piece of shite.

Big smile Wink
Wink
eltron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eltron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 9:47am
Thanks kedwards! Thumbs Up Will do.

Tedski, I do see your point... Big smile
This one's supposed to be hired out though. I'll apologize in advance to all engineers or system owners who'll have to deal with a dj using this stupid thing in the future!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2011 at 10:58pm
nothing really wrong with a DJM500 or 600. Popular kit in clubs.

However they dont like lager tipped all over them or being manhandled by a hamfisted gorilla. Nor do I

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 15 April 2011 at 10:59pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 10:44am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

nothing really wrong with a DJM500 or 600.

oh come on. if it didnt have pioneer on it no-one would buy them for professional use. ok as a bedroom mixer, but for sound systems?Dead
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can allow you to be miserable in comfort.
salsadura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsadura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 4:37pm
the pioneers dont like phantom power .... so if your using a desk that has global phantom you'll be stuck or if your lucky he dj will be inbetween the band
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 4:59pm
i wouldn't have thought many dj mixers were into phantom power?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 1:04pm
Either way I'm sure Ville hasn't got it plugged into phantom power at the moment! What's going to break has broken already.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

br0d3ur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote br0d3ur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 11:27pm
Hello, i got the exact t same problem on my DJM-600, have you found what exactly was causing the problem ??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>