Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paradise Garage sound system,circa late 70's.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Laurin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paradise Garage sound system,circa late 70's.
    Posted: 21 June 2011 at 11:45am
Some more pictures:

The RLA Waldorf with JBL 2395 / Gauss HF4000 

The RLA Ultima

edit:
The third pic on the first side is not from the Garage. That is from a club called Old Townsend in San Francisco. 

Edited by Laurin - 21 June 2011 at 11:50am
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 9:29pm
A very interesting read. If you read a lot of installers websites they will bang on about the best equipment, attention to detail, crystal clear sound blah blah blah I could go on, not many of them would go to the trouble described here like designing bits of kit specifically for the install.
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 8:39pm
Great read, thanks Ian!

Particularly interested in the acoustic treatment. The only acoustic treatment I've seen in any of the (admittedly relatively small number) of clubs I've worked in was put in by a fellow SP'er (thanks Ollie!).

From my limited understanding of system optimization (mainly garnered from Bob Mcarthy's book) this is an area that, done well (as it sounds was the case at the Garage) allows for vast improvements in the quality of sound in a club.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

Ian.

Yes I do remember Stage 3, on the Isle of Sheppey!?!? What a laugh that was. Funnily enough I picked some old equipment up from near there late last year, I was pleased to see they had built a new bridge to get on to the island at long last. Can't remember the DJ's name right now but they played the right music and the girls as always were lovely. One a more serious note, blowing all the Altec drivers in one night? That must have hacked the owners off big time, should have sounded good though. Whilst we are on the subject of Kentish venues, did you ever get to Flicks in Dartford? I still rate Colin Hudd as possibly one of the best mix artists of the day. They had one or two original Big Bertha's at the edge of the dance floor as I remember and for a converted cinema it didn't sound too bad to me. Last time I was there it was at an all nighter with Colin & Robbie Vincent but my memory isn't up to recalling the other DJ that night.
Happy Days!!

We used to call him captain hornblower at the shop I'll leave you to guess why, I used to spend a fair amount of my  time on a Saturday morning fitting new diaphragms in those renkus drivers not an easy task when somewhat hungover and perched on top of a ladder 30 feet in the air (and the cabs were suspended on wires).
They was only one of the large bass cabs at Flicks, we did originally fit two but had to take one out as it was too much.
There was three systems in flicks, a mono system (Berth and mid/hi above it) a stereo system (4 x almost full range cabs above the dance floor, and an infill system of HH pro150's

The whole system was driven by 1 X V800 (1 channel on bass the other driving the mid/high cab above it) and the rest of the system was powered by HH V150 mono amp's the most problematic bit of kit was the KT 27 band graphic which the Dj's used to mess with (hence the blown horns)
Lovely simple system though for a club of it's size.
I have on or two pics somewhere I captured off the net I'll see if I can find them.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 8:35am
Ian, you have reminded me of a funny situation years ago. I went to look at an installation in Basildon, some friends had done the job, and they were using our Horns for the system. I saw the Boom Box in place and then I looked at the Graphic EQ. All the bass was cut. I always thought that was amusing.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 7:53am
Ian.

Yes I do remember Stage 3, on the Isle of Sheppey!?!? What a laugh that was. Funnily enough I picked some old equipment up from near there late last year, I was pleased to see they had built a new bridge to get on to the island at long last. Can't remember the DJ's name right now but they played the right music and the girls as always were lovely. One a more serious note, blowing all the Altec drivers in one night? That must have hacked the owners off big time, should have sounded good though. Whilst we are on the subject of Kentish venues, did you ever get to Flicks in Dartford? I still rate Colin Hudd as possibly one of the best mix artists of the day. They had one or two original Big Bertha's at the edge of the dance floor as I remember and for a converted cinema it didn't sound too bad to me. Last time I was there it was at an all nighter with Colin & Robbie Vincent but my memory isn't up to recalling the other DJ that night.
Happy Days!!
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 8:41pm
Made my night reading that lot. Nice one Ian!
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 4:08pm
just built 6 decware imperials which are very similar to the old jensen/waldorf cabs. Took 4 out to do the cabaret stage at this years peace in the park festival in sheffield, the usual bass amp was away being serviced so we ended up running them off a matrix str1200 so they were getting around 300w a cab. was pretty pokey for a 1.5k rig ;)

the can be seen at the start of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSs8UNjqK8k and heard (albeit through camera phone mic) here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bY57yx0x4Q

music is god
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:32pm
Clap seen a lot of that before but nice to have it all in one place.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:31pm
Yep,that DBX boombox was lethal,do you remember the club Stage 3 in Leysdown in Kent Lee?....They had one,they blew every Altec 15 inch driver the first night they used it! LOL
Be seeing you.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:15pm
Very nice too Ian, you have been busy. I remember the DBX boom box as some of them made it over here too. I don't know how much power they used but can guarantee it was only a few thousand watts and would still blow most of the "50k" rigs of today clean into the weeds. 
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 3:13pm
Good read, thanks.
music is the message
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>