Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Daslight vs Sunlite vs Lumidmx ..what cuts it ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daslight vs Sunlite vs Lumidmx ..what cuts it ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daslight vs Sunlite vs Lumidmx ..what cuts it ?
    Posted: 12 July 2011 at 8:51pm
Having a right ol time deciding what to invest in, in this price range for intelligent lighting control.. all seem very good in their own ways, but each has their niggles.

The bottom line is i actually want the tool that gets the job done and allows easy creation and editing of shows later.

Lighting being driven is 8 off moving heads, a bunch of scanners, some led light bars and some parcans.

Requirements are the ability to easily create show palletes that can be left to do something half way decent when left on automation mode & allow for halfway fun improvised busking to be done on the fly on top.

in addition i like being able to edit stuff in timeline mode as opposed to being limited to step mode sequencer & like having half way dependable show pre visualisation on pc to set things up ahead of deployment of the full arsenal of kit.

What are peoples experiences with these & what gets the job done when it comes to the crunch ?
Also are there any other systems that should at least be considered ?

http://www.daslight.com/
http://www.nicolaudie.com/
http://www.lumidmx.com/
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 8:59pm
Quote Also are there any other systems that should at least be considered ?

Chamsys MagicQ (free) with a full MagicDMX dongle (~£60)
Budget for a touchscreen too - an ELO 15" can be had for about £80-£100 on ebay.

Has a timeline feature but probably not 'Windows' enough if you're using the others as a benchmark.

However, MagicQ is closer to Avo's, Frogs, Hogs, etc in terms of actual lighting desks.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 9:02pm
Looked at chamsys, will boot it up again, been a while since i looked into it.. can understand the avolites users love it for being very much like the desks.
Though being someone whos used to the way cubase & video editing software works, i like my interfaces to be extremely visual in their feeback & manipulation of data snippets :)
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 9:37pm
Yep, I hear you.
However, consider that in a gig situation, you are using the rig for your visual feedback, and so a more traditional lighting desk makes more sense, especially if you can operate it without having to look down, or just spend it staring at a screen.

I tried using a more Windows based software for some time, but found that the 'lighting console' type desks/software are popular because its actually a good way of doing lighting control.

You mention timeline as a key requirement. Are you going to be producing pre-programmed shows synced to music, or are you looking for something buskable?

Edited by norty303 - 12 July 2011 at 9:47pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 12:17am
Mostly pre-programming shows which sync to the music. But with the ability to select appropriate sequences & tweak afew elements directly appropriately for the music at hand when it matters.
Not 'theatre' style work for the most part; although at least one band will certainly require this for what they want to do.

Have some passing experience with messing with intelligent lighting, tho meerly lashed it up before with afew quick and dirty things done in the likes of freestyler. it did in a fashion, but could see a huge depth of potential that wasnt being used.
Setting out to get my hands properly dirty & do the job properly this time.

I still remain open to at somepoint to learning the 'avolites console' approach; however i find navigating & mapping out my intended programming plan of action, like climbing a cliff face with a pocket torch.  ..those menus feel like one of those old text adventure games ;) :)
So unless the more visually orientated options can be ruled out for being ultimately not upto the job, id prefer to start there first at least.
On the hardware user interface thing, this is indeed a strong point; however in terms of "touch typing" with lighting ive got a fair few midi routable devices offering faders, knobs, buttons and joysticks which can be mapped to various things for direct manipulation & hitting cues in with buttons you dont have to look for (ie touchscreen ones ;) ). Im relatively confident that the right things can be mapped for accessability.

In terms of the buskability & timeline business..
There will only be certain events likely to crop up where things are locked hard to a timeline & soundtrack, however there i mainly talk about a visual way of stacking up elements and editing them in sequences whose timeframe is determined externally by the detected tempo of the music.
Mostly its a matter of building shows for events with djs on and the likes where a show of various interesting sequences can be left to play & self sync to the tempo or at least vaguely match it & when the nights requirements are higher, work in semi automatic mode, selecting sequences appropriate for the mood and tempo of the music concerned ..with the ability on top to still be able to isolate elements/fixtures individually for direct live control.

Also the ability to preview something resembling the show sequences virtually is an important element here. means most of the donkey work laying up shows can be done in down time & then they can be polished when its all setup properly. Lack the luxuary of having the space to keep it all setup for programming. So short of somehow patching visualiser software onto the virtual backend of magicq, thats one reason its sorta ruled out. The other, is i just booted it up again and despite abit of digging firmly remembered what it was about it that drove me spare. Im sure its great once accoustomed to the way it works, though its not awfully compatable with the way i work ;) :)

Oh, and added to that... although not perfect, having access to virtualisation allows the evaluation of weather a new fixture would be of benefit to a setup & allows creation of shows for fittings that might get hired in once in a while from elsewhere, but not owned :)

Edited by nineleaves - 13 July 2011 at 12:37am
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 11:01am
Quote The other, is i just booted it up again and despite abit of digging firmly remembered what it was about it that drove me spare. Im sure its great once accoustomed to the way it works, though its not awfully compatable with the way i work ;) :)

Oh, you are not alone there. I tried it and thought it was crap, and put it to one side. I came back to it, read the manual, spent about 8 hrs playing, read the manual again and then it clicked. I think that because you are using it on a computer, you expect it to work like a computer. Once you see 'past' the computer and just see it as a lighting console, it starts to make sense more, but it does take a while to achieve the required mental re-adjustment.

Where are you nineleaves? Just trying to think where you could get a few hours initial leg up so you can evaluate it for what it really is, rather than the demonspawn it first presents itself as.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 1:33pm
Based in Leicester, Midlands at this time.
Bit of a trek to Eastbourne on spec i would think; but it is appreciated :)
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 2:00pm
Well I'll be up Lincolnshire way middle of September for a festival if you fancy a visit and a play.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 2:42pm
Thanks, Interesting offer, will have invested in a system by then tho.
However it would be silly to pass up on a offer to have a play & see how more experienced folks in the field are getting the job done; so if nothing gets in the way id be up for that :)

Edited by nineleaves - 13 July 2011 at 2:42pm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 2:59pm
Quote Thanks, Interesting offer, will have invested in a system by then tho

I doubt £60 would break the bank for a dongle though, if you decided you liked the look of Chamsys
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 3:03pm
Indeed, it may as well be bought alongside anything else used ..as itll at the very least serve as effective "console logic" training for the price of a decent teccie book or two.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 3:28pm
Well for £10 you get a MagicDMX dongle that is time limited for 5 hrs. Just restart for another 5 hours. Thats got to be worth it for the training.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>