Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All Members of please READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 7:36am
hey

Possibly, a compromise would be to simply make sure that the sales talk is kept in the "sales" part of the forum! 

The thread could be changed to something like "sales and wanted" and people who are advertising their building skills or whatever can put it here, and also if you are wanting to ask for people to build cabs etc it can go here as well?

Think if you are advertising your skills though it should be kept to a SINGLE thread stating

"I;m *******  and i can do ******** or supply *******" 

afterwards then only reply to specific questions or posts.

This will still allow some sales and to go on, but keep it out of the general topics and limit it to specific sales concersations, as rule 5?

I do think it'd be wrong to loose all talk of sales.

For us that work in the trade we are generally happy to supply speakers, building skills and related equipment (amps, outboard etc) at particuluarly good prices because we know we're helpng other members of the forum out.

Just my opinion, thoughts anyone?

kev

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 24 June 2006 at 7:42am
super-hero View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 8:15am
I can see that the site should not become too comercial, so maybe have a section where people can promote their services. I think it's important to keep lots of people on here from all parts of the music business as their knowledge and experience is invaluable. I hope the new rules and regulations dont stop these people from postiing on here.

Maybe replace the Roots section with a Services Offered section as this seems more in keeping with speaker building. This could be an unpopular suggestion but I'm not sure how the roots section fits into this site.

Or move all advertising to the Unmoderated area.
I'm not an animal, I'm a human being.
tendril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tendril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 9:22am
Why not just have a 'Commercial' forum in unmoderated? All things commercial in there and if one of the manufacturers or other commercial people wants to reply to a thread in any other forum, just post a link to the 'Commercial' forum from that thread [iykwim].
Tendril

A mistake is a mistake only if one learns nothing from it.
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 11:09am
i think this is a shame.

i understand its not free to host web space, and if every other post was to advertise the latest (insert product here) then it could be annoying to say the least.

i have a little anti-capitalist slant in my views, so think big brand advertising is not for a forum like this.

but i also feel it is good to see what people/businesses have to offer.

the new rules now mean if someone makes a cabinet, or there own design even, and they are affiliated with or sell the odd cabinet then they could not post photos of the build unless asked to do so. which only helps the larger or more well known bussinesses.

*does using the same forum name as your business really make a difference?? surely it helps to show who is who!

is this site and discussions of free designs (started and predominantly) by mr mogale not a form of advertising for the commercially linked designs of his, promoted with banners on these very forums and sold under voids/proaudioparts (same) name?

and if laxscan is alex from pap, when am i also just an end user not a commercial seller?

the problem can only come from overt advertising by large companies with their latest products, when it comes to smaller companies i.e. one man band etc with more bespoke or niche products then it is good to hear of them. i dont think that at the moment there is anyone from a large company directly making any kind of hard sell or spam advertising here, ahem the banners.

i think a more relaxed approach would be more condusive to a  free and informative site. ie, sellers of products should be able to mention them  but  with common sense  in regards to relevance and blatant advertising spam, offenders should then  be warned, or deleted. now though, maybe i think there are strange shaped hoops to jump through

dont get me wrong i still think the site is a great resource of knowledge and information, even with less posts now from the likes of elliot t, mike e, rog, djk, jdo1, freddyi, walt.. etcetc sory cant list all the peeps, but by essence, building speakers is not strictly a non-commercial or hobbyist occupation.

al

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2006 at 4:27pm
There is a well known saying--IF IT AINT BROKE THEN DO NOT FIX IT--why change anything as good as this forum when it all works superbly--obviously everyone on here is fully aware of the Pro Audio Parts tie up but it has never caused any major problems as I know to--nor has anyone pushing sales of their own products,because these members also tend to be the core of a very helpfull membership and certainly contribute to this forums success.
 If Alex or anyone commercially involved with this forum are attempting to manipulate certain things then they will run the risk of some of the major contributors to this forum breaking away to form a splinter website as there are some pretty hefty members of this forum that have easily got the clout(both financially and with business expertise) to be able to carry something of this nature through.
Heres another saying---Let sleeping dogs lie---eveyone is happy with the forum 99% of the time so why change anything----also agree with Mykey that the site is now a lot slower.
Guy Johnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2010 at 4:30am
Done, I fink, innit ... 

*edit*
gosh. quite an old thread!

Edited by Guy Johnson - 23 January 2010 at 4:33am
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2010 at 7:08am
I feel I understand as there are people
who promote their builds with the SOLE purpose of selling them. Not to share plans.  This site is about DIY. It is THE BEST DIY PA speaker building forum on the net. But yet they want to take advantage of it.

At the same time
there does need to be an allowance for such. So like most other forums charge a vendor fee. Have each vendor have their very own section under Vendors/Category. So if someone was asking about whom could build etc. Then a vendor could just reply with a link to their section. Not posting any other info.

At the same time the FOR SALE
section would be for used equipment only and not for repeat sales. IE your only allowed X post per month. This should remain free to members.

adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2010 at 8:49am
+1... Been saying the same thing for years...
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 6:28pm
As a matter of interest where do I stand in this. Whilst I don't intend to post "Get yout G*****s from Markie" ads, what about the odd situation where I have a pair I've made to the wrong size. Can I offer them on the forum at say 1/2 price???

Or How about if I'm stacked out with a particular type of A******c F*** and want to offer a half price clearance. I could of course put it on e-bay but I honestly think the forum members would want first crack at it.

I guess I am "In the trade" albeit my trade premises are my garden shed.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 6:32pm
I'm guilty I suppose too. I've sold a couple of rigs on here. But also sold a lot of amps and other odds cluttering up the workshop. Everything I've sold is on the cheap end of market value and i'd rather have a quick sale where everyone's nice to deal with and happy (on here) than go on the bay even if it meant I'd get a better price... Doesn't everyone win?
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 7:13pm
it's like any good disclaimer.. it's there to be brandished when required. they know when someone's taking the piss...
alphabetikal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphabetikal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 12:56pm
if the forum goes up the shi*ter then lets just make a new one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>