Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to measure RMS Power of a speaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endre_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to measure RMS Power of a speaker
    Posted: 30 August 2011 at 7:56pm
Hi,
i have build a some boxes, and i would like to measure the "rms power" of each box.

I have a friend that know a place that rents "semianechoic rooms" for really low low price and the equipment for measures.

What should i have to do for the measure???
I mean, pink noise? for how much time? mmmm how should i set it up.... etc

thx a lot for your help.

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:07pm
Look on the back of the drivers?
endre_k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endre_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 8:34pm
 :) :)

i know i know, but i mean, the hole box, for example i have a double 12MI100 basreflex with a CP755Nd+TD590 horn (all Beyma components).

And i would like to measure the rms Power, just for experimenting a bit, learning.....

thx again :)

Edited by endre_k - 30 August 2011 at 8:35pm
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:07pm
Add up the RMS power of the speakers in the box?
teamrob2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teamrob2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:29pm
It's not something you really want to test as to find out what it is will involve destroying your speakers.
airbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:41pm
..measure the impedance @1khz...give a sine with a generator on it, one where you can set the output power or voltage and calculate the given power..rise it up until you can smell the glue of the voicecoil...by new speakers after.(!)done.
Tongueno sry no idea, but funny questionSmile
the rms power a speaker is rated with shows you how much power you can give the speaker without worrying to damage it, exept mechanical destruction like driving a for example bass speaker out of its xmax, or thermal if you have a really really too small rear chamber.but i guess you know that.
cheers

GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:41pm
Well the 12"'s are 450w AES each and the comp is 80w AES above 1.5k, but your speakers could be any number of watts for all it matters, if your running a passive xover then you will have to stay within it's limits regardless of your driver handling capacity.

Is there a specific reason you need to know this figure? I would be more interested on how they sound and spl levels ect.

Then you have to consider that your enclosures may be restricting how much power you can safely put into them before the driver reaches it's excursion limits depending on the calculations that was made prior to construction.

airbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:43pm
ps: they dont measure rms with sine i think...
airbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 9:46pm
ps2: http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/temas/powerhandling.htm
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2011 at 10:11pm
Thought that the Beyma 12MI100's generally aren't suitable for Bass due to their low Xmax of 2mm....
http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/12MI100.pdf
Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
endre_k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endre_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 12:07am
Originally posted by audiomik audiomik wrote:

Thought that the Beyma 12MI100's generally aren't suitable for Bass due to their low Xmax of 2mm....
http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/12MI100.pdf
Mik

i've buiild 2 boxes bass reflex with Fane Colossus 18XB for the low duty.
Maybe you are right , that would have been better to suit the 12s box with a 2 driver less stiffer. But i also hear from a friend that the 12Mi100 were really good from Beyma, and i decided to go a little bit higher...
maybe i did went wrong... :S

ps: so..... it does not make sense to calculate the RMS power of the hole box?
endre_k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endre_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 12:14am
Originally posted by GEB GEB wrote:

Well the 12"'s are 450w AES each and the comp is 80w AES above 1.5k, but your speakers could be any number of watts for all it matters, if your running a passive xover then you will have to stay within it's limits regardless of your driver handling capacity.

Is there a specific reason you need to know this figure? I would be more interested on how they sound and spl levels ect.

Then you have to consider that your enclosures may be restricting how much power you can safely put into them before the driver reaches it's excursion limits depending on the calculations that was made prior to construction.

i'm doing it also, the Freq. Response, Sensivity, and directivity .  But i was wondering if it made sense to measure RMS power/AES or whatsoever....
Also trying different type of absorbent material inside and see how the FRF changes,etc....
Does anyone know a good material for to put inside?? I've tryed wool rock dunno hwo you say it in english...

ps2: i'm also having mode problems inside, i've seen with the FRF, so i think i have to make angled pannels to kill the modes propagating on the 990cm heigh, cause 400Hz is decreasing energy.

thx for your help to all.
gracias!!
 Post Reply Post Reply