Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P audio sn15mb Mid top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P audio sn15mb Mid top
    Posted: 18 September 2011 at 4:40pm
Just got some x15s which are abit (well actually quite alot) to big for what I want, which is a hifi/party rig. 

I'm playing with the idea of building 2 small cubes to load the P audio sn15mb into, for a small compact mid top (then have the HF in a seperate/small box ontop). 

Any ideas whats the smallest size box I'm going to be able to get away with? Going to be crossed above subs @ 90/100hz and crossed over to a horn around (1500-2000). 

So far Im thinking of a box size of 46.5 x 46.5 x 35-40cm deep. 

Any advise would be much appreciated Smile
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 5:10pm
If you're using them with subs and don't mind loosing some low end response you can make the box fairly small.  Any particular reason for putting the HF in a separate box because you then loose that volume which you could be giving to the 15" driver?
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 5:42pm
Mainly for aesthetics, and so that I can keep it modular (if I was to ugrade comp/horn in future then I'm not tied into the existing horn cut out). 

What do think to a box size of: 46.5cm w x 46.5cm H x 40cm D? (86.5 litres)

Thanks for the response 
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 6:41pm
That's actually still quite large volume-wise for a 15" for mid-top use only.  My compact 15" subs are about that kind of size.  You can probably go down to around 40-50L.
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 6:03pm
Does the shape of the cabinet effect the response? (particularly the upper response?) 

I've read that the benefit with a trap cab is it reduces the standing waves, My design so far is basically a cube shape, but with 45" angled corners (abit like this:) http://www.voidaudio.com/product_detail.asp?id=55

Oh and do I need to worry about port size/shape/depth. As above im looking for extension down to 90hz so would the ports come into play here?

Cheers for all the advise so far, much appreciated mate
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 10:18pm
I would probably recommend tuning the cab to about 60-65Hz.  Based on a 75litre internal volume, if you used 10cm circular ports, you'd need two, about 8cm long.  That's just a rough guide from a quick simulation.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by JDCutta JDCutta wrote:

Mainly for aesthetics, and so that I can keep it modular (if I was to ugrade comp/horn in future then I'm not tied into the existing horn cut out). 

Is the comp box just going to rest on top, or would it be secured to the 15" box with a pole/alignment grooves/ratchet strap?

I've thought about this in the past and decided that the extra effort required to secure it in place each time you set up would get annoying, so might as well put it in the mid driver box. Also keeps the acoustic centres closer and means it's less likely to slide around in the back of a van etc.
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 5:13pm
I've been drawing up some sketches today, thinking of making a mount for the comp to be screwed onto, which could then be t-nutted to the 15" , - like the look of the exposed horn, comp driver will be in a small box with connections on back. - Want the design to be nice and eye catching, so it doesn't just look like a big mid/hi box, and more of a 'large but pleasant to look at hifi lol
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 5:24pm

After playing around on sketch up, this is what I've come up with so far. Would really appreciate tips or advise on your views, as to what response this cabinet may give/

I did play around with the idea of a triangular cab, with the corners chopped like on this, but don't think my would working skills/tools are up to it lol. 

The rectangle on the top of the cab is supposed to be a Horn (not so great sketch up skills lol), everything is drawn up to scale aswel.

10cm ports are on the rear, good or bad idea? (there not going to be right up against a wall so should effect out put in that respect). The circles on the front are magnets to hold grill in place. 
- Also the holes on the box behind the horn, containing the comp driver are just for aesthetics and will be backed with grill.

Exterior dimensions are 45w x 45H x 40 deep (may increase this to increase volume) with the corners chopped, it reduces the volume by around 10L

Build may be 15 or 18mm (mdf - possibly good ply)

Edited by JDCutta - 22 September 2011 at 5:25pm
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 7:42pm
Any opinions on the 15" cabinet? 

(gonna work on the design for the comp holder)
 Post Reply Post Reply