Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FFPA our story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 3:29pm
had the rig out on my garden for a quick test to find i have a druiver down... this is going to be the last pic i put up of the rig till ive built my new hds, and changed my colour scheme

one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 10:46am
Looking GOOD!
Personally, I'd stack the Blue HDs, spalyed side-ways...with the black ones (also side-ways), on top, beneath Dan's old Omni-Tops (nice refurb on them by the way)..
That'd look tidy as fook, and give you (ever so slightly), better dispersion in my experience.
:)
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Strange Daze Strange Daze wrote:

Looking GOOD!
Personally, I'd stack the Blue HDs, spalyed side-ways...with the black ones (also side-ways), on top, beneath Dan's old Omni-Tops (nice refurb on them by the way)..
That'd look tidy as fook, and give you (ever so slightly), better dispersion in my experience.
:)
so there 3 high? 
would that sound better?

i havnt really tried different variations as yet, this was just a quick rig up and a play i had at home..

I didnt think it would make much difference to wich way the hds were stacked as long as all the mooths were togeva..

Any one else add any input to this?
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 12:18pm
haha, Plymouth union have mountains of those oldstyle par 56/36/birdies, some still installed in the stage room, and many more sat in the cupboard with blown lamps!!

think we skipped a good 30 last year which were dented ect to free up the storage
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 1:08pm
i like em, there tidy little units, and best thing is, 8 working and cleaned up like that cost me about £40 in total... so spot on i think
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 1:20pm
If it was me i would i would stack them in 6 block, in 2 piles of 3

Edited by Tocooltom - 10 January 2012 at 1:21pm
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by nuclearbass nuclearbass wrote:

so they're 3 high?

Yup.

would that sound better?

In my experience?....yes...it will.

i havnt really tried different variations as yet, this was just a quick rig up and a play i had at home..

One problem you may come across is that the tops are a little high, so a bit of 1x1" wooden baton at the back of your tops, to angle them forward will be needed.
If you do this, you'll notice better projection of the tops, further back because of the height...but because of the tilt forward, they'll still cover in front of the speaker stacks.
If you do this: BE CAREFUL and make sure the tops are strapped down tight and safe!! Smile

I didnt think it would make much difference to wich way the hds were stacked as long as all the mooths were togeva..

See above. As well as the extra height to your tops, you'll still be getting the coupling with the floor, and a bit of extra dispersion.
When we had access to a pile of HDs (x12), we ran them this way occassionally...and found it better then the way you'd stacked them, which seemed to just result in a very narrow, forward firing ''power alley'' of bass.
Depends on what you want, I guess...

Good luck Smile
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 1:53pm
cheers mate, ill have a play next time i get chance... ive gotta replace that driver 1st :(
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 4:03pm
done a little more work on the rig, painted the hds, had the horns and tob boxes sprayed., gunna get a pic of the rack up this week

still a way to go yet, all the hds have yellow grills to be fitted and i have som eyellow paint to give the mids some personality :)

But yeh, im getting there, not bad for a 1 man band lol
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 7:21pm
Nice pain work.what technic got you that finish?
Its just a ride.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 7:24pm
gloss roller mate the sponge type, gave them 2 thinish coats, then last one put on very thick and rolered very slowly and very light handed, line in the bottom picture is a scratch in the wood, i cnt really see any lines ive left, but it is a pain in the arse to get it to go on without showing where the roller ends, the lighter handed you are the better chance youve got of not getting the lines
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2012 at 8:01pm
Looking really good mate
Its just a ride.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 52>