Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carlsbro cpx1200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carlsbro cpx1200
    Posted: 01 November 2011 at 3:38am
O.k so just getting to grips with the above mentioned amp, which belongs to a client (strip down, clean out, replace lost bolts and replace damaged power chord), and have noticed recessed button on rear panel, Labelled "DSL". It's next to recessed bridge mode button. There are two yellow LED's on front panel, also labelled DSL. Anyone got any ideas what this DSL button/LED's are all about? Client has only just bought this, sans manual. It's an original british built amp. Any help much appreciated.
jbinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 7:24am
Sounds like a limiter.

Power it up with no speakers, turn DSL on, increase gain on source and amp until either clip light or DSL light come on. If DSL light comes on, it's a limiter. If not, or it's on all the time then you'll need to scope the output to see if it limits or just clips.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 8:20am
i used to have many of these, good solid amps

DSL is the limiter, very similar to the peavey DDT system. without it switched on, the amp will hard clip, and had a tenancy to eat drivers - with it switched in, you could drive it more or less as hard as you like
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
jbinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 8:54am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

i used to have many of these, good solid amps

DSL is the limiter, very similar to the peavey DDT system. without it switched on, the amp will hard clip, and had a tenancy to eat drivers - with it switched in, you could drive it more or less as hard as you like

Is it as good as DDT?
As an experiment, I took an old driver of no value and tried to kill it using a Peavey PV-2600 with DDT turned on. I don't remember the details, but the amp was about 1.3 times the rating of the driver. I fed it pretty bass-heavy 4/4 dance music for about 2 hours from a DJM-600 (YUK!) with everything in "full DJ mode" (gains, eq, monitor, efx level, screen brightness, ... every knob basically at max) - clipping the hell out of the amps input stage (sounded nice...).

Driver... would... not... die!!

Amazing really!
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 8:59am
i found it very good. Early 1990's i had racks of these running everything from tweeters to subs - bombproof, and were about £400 brand new - back then that was a serious bargain for a uk built amp

with the DSL in, i never even took out a bullet. Once ( only...) i switched them out when i needed a bit more power on subs for an after carnival party - within 5 mins, i had burnt out 8 fane collossus 15XB's...

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 10:10am
Cheers guys! Had my suspicions it might be a limiter, but obviously couldn't be sure. Seems like client has got themselves a bargain,
Think they paid about £100 for this. Csg, do you have a good chiropractor!? ONE of these is heavy enough, let alone a rack full!
jbinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 11:12am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Once ( only...) i switched them out when i needed a bit more power on subs for an after carnival party - within 5 mins, i had burnt out 8 fane collossus 15XB's...

Ouch.
I bet you were a little bit sad after that!!
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 2:22pm
furious more like, but lesson learnt

that was the last time i burnt out a driver, must be 16 years ago
 Post Reply Post Reply