Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CVA chinese amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray-Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2012 at 4:42am
I've got an older model PA-1500, Use it to drive 8 x 12'' 16 ohm drivers. It seems to do the job OK but not really tried anything similar.

Mate has about 14 amps from the PA series and to be fair they sound bloody good considering the price! Sound fine for subs and tops, pretty lightweight.

Failure rate has been quite high but this was not always the fault of the amp.

I think 3 have given up with no warning or obvious reason.. others were being used in an extremely corrosive environment..

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2012 at 11:51am
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

i was told the biggest amp they do is "approx" £500 with shipping about £150
no idea how accurate that is though 

Guv, save few more $ and get a PL9 or Inf8Mk2.

You know they can do the job, and you also know some lightweights (even expensive name brand models) will thermal trying to drive 2x Turbomaxes a side, playing Roots/dub. LOL

Edited by levyte357 - 11 February 2012 at 11:53am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2012 at 3:07pm
Seem to be the Lab Gruppen copies that are plentiful from quite a lot of Chinese sources - I would say they are all made in the one place and distributed to various Chinese outlets which then claim to be the manufacturer....

I have seen a few of these - they sound quite good for anything, although I have seen a few early failures.  they seem to have done a fairly reasonable job of copying the Lab design, and even seem to be using genuine On Semi output devices (at least the engineers at On cannot tell they are obvious copies from the detailed photos i sent them), although many other components are obviously lower spec than the genuine labs - so long term reliability may be an issue.

As with most stuff sourced from China, you won't get a warranty - local distributors of these type of things would figure the costs of potential replacements into their markup.
davidk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2012 at 9:55pm
Changed my mind on this, although they sound good, reliability and back up from supplier could be big issues. 

Im going to spend more and buy british!

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 12:16am
Originally posted by davidk davidk wrote:

Im going to spend more and buy british!

Doesn't guarantee anything to be honest.

Tonight heard a Chinese torroidial amp drive same 4x cabs & drivers I've heard a British lightweight amp drive, and guess what, the British amp never ever sounded as heavy and as loud as the Chinese torroidoial.

Wont mention transformer amp is only rated approx 60% of the power of the British amp.

So investigate your possibilities before spending. Wink
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12