Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jah Tubby Pre Amp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ScrollZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jah Tubby Pre Amp
    Posted: 26 December 2011 at 9:46am
i have a couple of questions about a jah tubys pre amp.

can you use a tubbys pre amp in your living room? ie. with standard hi-fi speakers.
do they have headphone out ? 

i dont run a sound system, i just want to listen to king davids music in the comfort of my own arm chair, and i dont think 'er indoors wants to listen to it - hence the headphone out?

if not, what else could be used to make my own versions of roots music, for my own ears..

bless.
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 9:52am
Not sure why you would need to use a pre amp like this just for play back but simply get yourself an ordinary Hi Fi amp with a headphone socket and bob's your uncle.
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
ScrollZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrollZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 9:55am
Originally posted by service dept Steve service dept Steve wrote:

Not sure why you would need to use a pre amp like this just for play back but simply get yourself an ordinary Hi Fi amp with a headphone socket and bob's your uncle.

i like to 'fiddle' :-)
i want listen to music and make my own versions, shaka style :-)

drop bass, throw in some echo's,

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 10:03am
use either a Tape Source/Monitor or Preamp out/Power amp in function on a Hi-Fi Amp to insert say a graphic EQ and stereo Delay boxes for your FX?
Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
ScrollZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrollZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 10:13am
i do like the idea of a Tubby Amp,

but r u saying i can have my own dub session from my arm chair with my home hi-fi?

i can add echo, and cut vocals out, dubwise style on my technics hi-fi ?

Embarrassed

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 10:33am
In effect yes, set up as suggested.
You might find that a parametric EQ is more suitable for what you are wanting to do than a Graphic or even try both 'daisy chained'.

Not certain as to what input/outputs you have on your Technics; but you should have at least one of the insert points available, if not both - plus you can always insert an FX unit between your CD and the Amp Line input as well......

This then gives you the option of either Headphones or Speakers to listen with
Mik
ScrollZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrollZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 10:43am
audiomik, thank you.

sounds interesting, and maybe easier than sourcing a tubby amp :-)

what about a mixing desk?  could one of these cut vocals, echo vocals?
i could quite happily sit at a mixing desk, if it could make my own dub versions of vocal tracks.

as you can tell, i thought a tubby amp would do everything i dream of.. i take it it doesnt..
no echo, no headphones out..

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 10:50am
All the preamps i've seen have a "tape out" and with the addition of a headphone amp could be used the way you want to.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
ScrollZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrollZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 10:55am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

All the preamps i've seen have a "tape out" and with the addition of a headphone amp could be used the way you want to.

Yes, nice thought!

would i get the full effect through headphones?  vocals cuts? parametric bass? roaring lion basslines (oooooh yes please!!)

do i have to add a echo unit? i beleive the tubby preamp can control the echo sends?

(sorry for all the questions!)

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2011 at 10:55am
Yes you could use a small desk, however you will find the EQ a bit limited compared with outboard kit.
The big advantage is you could find one with proper send/return inserts and mix buses and returns for your FX

OK:
One suggestion for your time domain (Echo/Reverb) FX unit might be: Alesis Midiverb 4 - apparently these are good for the price.

Graphic or Parametric EQ's are really down to what you can afford!

hope this assists
Mik
 Post Reply Post Reply