Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hoggs with v18's/pd1850/pd1851

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by grazzeee grazzeee wrote:

if the results come back positive and they go to production what time frame are we looking at?
Depends how quick I get my act together with more testing.... LOL
grazzeee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grazzeee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 12:06pm
:P well best of luck to you on that one. Im still mega excited about getting my four hogs with pd1851s... the thought of it makes me all jittery ha.

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by fuzzylogic fuzzylogic wrote:

Hello,sorry i'm late busy busy an all.

I have tried most of the drivers mentioned and ended up here...
my experience with 18 sound has been very dissapointing,sound cold and hard, don't take the rated power without cooking too easy, cost a small fortune until you come to sell them second-hand then no-one wants them unless very cheap....my advice...don't go there.

Hi mate,  which drivers did you try? Did you try the neo 9600?
me so horny, me love you long throw.
suraj@skpl.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suraj@skpl.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 3:51pm
Hi there all. A little assistance will be appreciated please. We run a roots sound system and have hog scoops loaded with PD 1850's all sounding very nice powered by Crown 5000VZ 2 drivers a side at 4 ohm. Looking at building some new hogs to extend the system, what recomendations can any one give me if I should put PD 1851's on the new hogs or even wait for the PD 1852's to be available?
Also one more thing, I had to drive a 3 hog scoop stack at a particular venue and ran them linked in series at 2.6ohms off a Crown 5000VZ. Unfortunatley they didnt sound very good at all almost very flappy and this was the first time I had linked them like this, they sound fine when normally linked two a side at 4ohm. Wondering if anyone has some thoughts on this.
Many thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suraj@skpl.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 3:52pm
Hi, A little assistance will be appreciated please. We run a roots sound system and have hog scoops loaded with PD 1850's all sounding very nice powered by Crown 5000VZ 2 drivers a side at 4 ohm. Looking at building some new hogs to extend the system, what recomendations can any one give me if I should put PD 1851's on the new hogs or even wait for the PD 1852's to be available?
Also one more thing, I had to drive a 3 hog scoop stack at a particular venue and ran them linked in series at 2.6ohms off a Crown 5000VZ. Unfortunatley they didnt sound very good at all almost very flappy and this was the first time I had linked them like this, they sound fine when normally linked two a side at 4ohm. Wondering if anyone has some thoughts on this.
Many thanks
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 7:37pm
Either 4 ohm stereo, or if driving three, 4 ohm one channel, 8 ohm the other.

If you were running them at 3x at 2.66 ohm, one one channel, down a long cable, that probably isn't very thick, "didn't sound very good" and "flappy", is exactly what you'll get.

Also, the PD1851 is not as sensitive as PD1850, so even though MA5000VZ with half decent supply will give 4x PD1850s good spanking, don't expect the same when driving PD1851s.

Edited by levyte357- - 20 December 2012 at 8:01pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suraj@skpl.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 8:12am
Hi lev. Thanks for the reply mate.

Ok if running three hogs. Two on one channel at 4ohm and one on one channel at
8ohm. Would both gains on the amp be ok to be set the same as I would not hear the
The difference in sound from the two compaired to the one? Or would it be a case of
Keeping an eye on the amp level indicators?

Also before when I ran 3 at 2.6ohms off one channel the cable was 4mm thick but the
Run was 30meters on the drum. Should that effect the sound to be flappy?

Regarding the 1851 being used in the new hogs. Normally we always have a 32amp supply
In and I would run two a side at 4ohm on the 5000vz. Think they would sound the same
Or better compaired to the existing 1850 hogs x 4?

Cheers
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 11:04am
Originally posted by suraj@skpl.co.uk suraj@skpl.co.uk wrote:

Hi lev. Thanks for the reply mate.

Ok if running three hogs. Two on one channel at 4ohm and one on one channel at
8ohm. Would both gains on the amp be ok to be set the same as I would not hear the
The difference in sound from the two compaired to the one? Or would it be a case of
Keeping an eye on the amp level indicators?

Set levels same, and look at indicators anyway. LOL

Originally posted by suraj@skpl.co.uk suraj@skpl.co.uk wrote:

Also before when I ran 3 at 2.6ohms off one channel the cable was 4mm thick but the
Run was 30meters on the drum. Should that effect the sound to be flappy?

Yep. For 25M+, I personally prefer individual pair of cores to each cab, not linked.
8 ohm impedance down 25M of 2.5mm2 has never caused me damping problems or noticeable attenuation of sub.

I can get 25M 8x core 2.5mm2 fairly cheap, so that handles 4x subs in a stack nicely.

Edited by levyte357- - 21 December 2012 at 11:08am
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 1:08pm
saying this for the second time, well, i love PD, love the company etc.,  i have had PD in Sub and still have em in tops, works excellent for me, but really.... please stop the ongoing "pd is king" thing, its not true and many know it, the bad bwoy 18s on a big digam or pkn in hogs slaps every pd vz5000 whatever amp hog day in and day out, absolutely no chance in pressure - try and you will see for yourself, i say this because i bought pd and v-18 years ago ( even v-18 was a touch better in hog )and dont want the people make the same mistake for kings output and still smooth sound, intelligent setup is needed. I kill every pd sound easily trust me !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suraj@skpl.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 1:15pm
Greets Turbo. Thanks for the post. Can you give me the exact make and model numbers of drivers u recomend for the hogs. Cheers
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 2:22pm
fuzzy, what are you talking about lol..... if you had the big bwoy 18s maybe the amp didnt like them or what ?! On big amp and right setting it is a no competition thing ! Not even close to every driver i tested so far... but yes aluminium coil is the thing i would change...

edit: did you note that they need at least 50hours ( i would say even more ) to be run in proper ? Triple spider ! i saw a huge difference between new and run in.

I recommend these because they are soooooooo much better than their contenders and you were dissapointed ( wtf ?! ), you must have had another driver LOL

Edited by turbo7 - 21 December 2012 at 2:29pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by turbo7 turbo7 wrote:

fuzzy, what are you talking about lol..... if you had the big bwoy 18s maybe the amp didnt like them or what ?!

Which drivers exactly you're talking about?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>