Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

scoop compatible drivers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 11:50am
Recommended chamber & tuning freq, is probably for reflex cab, and anyone worth his salt, will know from TS, you "DO NOT", want to put this in reflex cab, and what the Qes is telling you, about the warmth of sub, this driver, will naturally produce.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Is one thing saying the TS "are nice", or are strong, but unless buyer knows exactly what "TS" values make a driver compatible or "NOT", for his cab, he'll be often disappointed, just gambling with his cash.

I know what your saying Levyte Speakerplans is a learning platform where if you go back far enough you will see where ppl have either contradicted themselves or gleaned from others what they know no one has a monopoly on knowledge some ppl use knowledge to beat ppl with others use it to teach . I agree if you don't know what your doing you could be wasting your cash how many of us have done that.Based on my limited knowledge B&C will be biased towards their own designs and I could see this driver in a specifically tuned cab I.e. Transmission line config or something of that nature.

Edited by djkeet - 07 June 2017 at 6:44pm
Soundbite
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 10:47pm
An interesting thing about this driver is, that it already looses 50% of its BL product at >14mm of excursion, mathematical x-max is 13mm, that is what B&C say with their "Xvar" value. If we look at the voice coil mag nov 2010 we can see a Klippel measurement of the 18sNLW9600 and its BL curve. I really hope that someone with Klippel Equipment makes a BL curve of the DS18. Then we could see, if the suspension or BL is limiting Xmax. Of course, this is trivial in this case, i am looking forward to a more steep BL curve... it is always a trade off, but i guess the 7 years of engineering in favour helped to beat the 9600

Edit: HOW CAN I INSERT PICTURES ?? WHICH FORMAT WORKS ?
I also guess that nonlinearities which are basically "large signal parameters" can not be extracted from "small signal parameters" which represent the TS parameters.

Edited by turbo7 - 07 June 2017 at 11:09pm
Ricci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 6:28pm
The 21DS115-8 was already tested in the Aug 2016 Voice coil.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 7:04pm
Where?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 7:14pm
Voice coil magazine

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 10:57pm
Nice one Ricci,

i see the 21" and the 18" are totally different design approaches if the numbers are correct....
21": Xvar = 16,5mm, Xmax = 15mm
18": Xvar = 14mm, Xmax = 16,5mm

taken out of B&C official datasheets
probably numbers switched by accident...

IF numbers of the 18" are switched, it would be a very good sign and the shape of the BL curve would probably be as good as for the 21" Smile
The 21" is a fantastic driver on the bench !

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 12:32am
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
turbo7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 8:57am
yes, but 12,7mm excursion when BL and compliance together start to limit the motor is a very good result for a 11mm physical xmax !

The 18" version even has 13mm physical xmax...
Ricci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Bench test is showing quite lower X-max results.

After reading the text again I see that Vance used the physical coil overhang (11mm) and +15% of the coil overhang as the xmax target which is 12.7mm rounded up. Many MFG's use the physical coil overhang + 25% of the gap height, not the coil overhang. That value would be 14.5mm for the 21DS115-8 which is pretty close to the B&C rating. Using the coil overhang rather than gap height for the % adder is odd. The Xvar B&C quote should be based on internal Klippel testing. In the AX/VC test notes it also says that the BL and Kms were both "beyond" the 12.7mm xmax target he set, but it does not state what they actually were? The Klippel testing appears to have been stopped at a 15mm limit only, which is also odd for a driver claiming 15mm xmax. They usually extend the graph to +/-20mm for woofers with 10-15mm claimed xmax. Perhaps it was just an oversight on the graph scaling.

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here just noting some things in the review.
I have a pair of 21DS115-4's on hand and they certainly seem "useful" to somewhere in the range of 15-17mm one way. Things quickly start to degrade much beyond that point as the coil starts leaving the gap and the suspension tightens up.

The 18's appear to have the same motor but the coil wind is 4mm longer so technically they should have a bit more extended BL curve. The 18" surround is also different though so it may be a wash.
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 2:02am
Originally posted by Ricci Ricci wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Bench test is showing quite lower X-max results.

The Klippel testing appears to have been stopped at a 15mm limit only, which is also odd for a driver claiming 15mm xmax. They usually extend the graph to +/-20mm for woofers with 10-15mm claimed xmax.

I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory here just noting some things in the review.
I have a pair of 21DS115-4's on hand and they certainly seem "useful" to somewhere in the range of 15-17mm one way. Things quickly start to degrade much beyond that point as the coil starts leaving the gap and the suspension tightens up.

The 18's appear to have the same motor but the coil wind is 4mm longer so technically they should have a bit more extended BL curve. The 18" surround is also different though so it may be a wash.

In line with Ricci comments leading speaker manufacture's such as PD are in favour of LEAP 5 Enclosure Shop to evaluate their drivers as they feel TS params do not appear to give a true account, if this is the case could the data that has been inputted to Hornresp and other modelling programs be slightly out?
Soundbite
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 8:07am
In any manufacturing process there is always a statistical distribution of performance. If I was in the business of building cabs seriously, the TS provided by the manufacturer would only be a rough starting point for me. And even if you were lucky and your unit was bang on the mean, TS are only an indication of small signal performance anyway which is where the difference between theory and real world hammering starts to appear. But if you know your stuff, the TS are a very good indication of potential real world performance.

That's my take on it anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>