Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Website Platform

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Website Platform
    Posted: 14 April 2012 at 1:52pm
I was looking for suggestions for what I should use to construct a website documenting the history of PA, its companies and product specs and photos.  Would Wordpress or something similar be best to use?
music is the message
Chris LDN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris LDN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 10:06pm
If you can wrap your head around it, I would recommend the Django Web Framework. Otherwise Wordpress or Textpattern would do.

Edited by Chris LDN - 14 April 2012 at 10:13pm
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 10:15pm
Joomla or Drupal are other good alternatives Thumbs Up

You will need a CMS if you're thinking big!
Chris LDN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris LDN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 10:34pm
Never used it myself as I'm dubious about web software without easy trial methods, but Perch might be worth a look too if you don't mind paying. Although there are plenty good free alternatives to not bother.

Edited by Chris LDN - 14 April 2012 at 10:35pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 10:52pm
Are you referring to Joomla or Drupal? Both are nice bits of software. Both got their pros and cons though..

Perch looks nice, never seen that before. £35 pales in the cost of developing / hosting a site Thumbs Up
Chris LDN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris LDN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 10:58pm
No, I was referring to Perch. I've used both Joomla and Drupal before. I was the one who recommended Django in your web technologies thread, really can't say enough good things about it! My hair has grown back a bit since I gave up trying to make Drupal work for me. Others may have more luck..
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 11:31pm
Ahh, I see!

Since then I've learnt both Joomla! and Drupal, definitely know what you mean about the loss of hair. Spent a while on forums getting various parts to talk to each other Ermm

Learning Magento now, bit different being e-commerce centric and a commercial product - but a breeze to work with. And I don't have to spend hours in PHP!

My Joomla site is nearly live actually, I'll post it up when it's there Thumbs Up
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2012 at 9:34pm
Cheers for all the suggestions, my friend knows Wordpress so might go with that - although I have access to both Joomla and Drupal.
music is the message
Chris LDN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris LDN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 9:53pm
Although Wordpress is good, I would go for a proper CMS if I were you. It will be easier to organise things how you want them - unless your friend is able to utilise Wordpress' custom post types?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

Ahh, I see!

Since then I've learnt both Joomla! and Drupal, definitely know what you mean about the loss of hair. Spent a while on forums getting various parts to talk to each other Ermm

Learning Magento now, bit different being e-commerce centric and a commercial product - but a breeze to work with. And I don't have to spend hours in PHP!

My Joomla site is nearly live actually, I'll post it up when it's there Thumbs Up

http://www.iconstyles.co.uk/

Not a massive fan of their design direction, but it shows off the capabilities of a Joomla! website. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply