Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT102 New drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MT102 New drivers
    Posted: 03 October 2004 at 1:45pm
What drivers and horns are now recommended for the MT102?
nuMOVEZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuMOVEZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 12:23pm
Hi, I have notice the BEYMAR 10 M250 is no longer available - is there a suitable Beymar alternative and any modification to box design???? Alternately anyone know 10 m250 being stocked????? 
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 3:35pm
RCF do a neo 10" closed rear that should be a laugh, but I don't know about the $$$. Many people lament the passing of the Beyma 10M250.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 5:19pm
B&C 10MD26: High efficiency 3.9%, light cone 31g, high BL 19.6Tm fs = 76Hz.  Looks pretty much like midrange horn material to me....

To go off at a tangent, Anybody looked at using a hornloaded 8" midrange? 8PE21 looks quite nice as well.

I'd waste so much less time if I didn't order speaker catalogues......
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 5:28pm
Then you better never speak to manufacturers who'll ask you what T/S cone, suspension, etc. you want for your bespoke limited production run driver. THE driver is said to be a B&C quite similar to what you mentioned and the EVM10L (I think though I may be off) made to order for a well known french manufacturer on an OEM basis.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 5:42pm
@ Timber: I'm not sure if I quite get your last post.  Hopefully you got that I just meant I should do some work to afford to buy drivers and build cabs rather than just drooling over the nice drivers available if I had the money.

I come across a lot of B&C loaded cabs: local designs and large manufacturers and I must say I'm a fan.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 6:14pm
Having to choose from ready-made drivers is one thing, having to make sure your design matches the optimal parameters for a given situation is another (much scarrier) aspect.

What I meant to say, is that B&C do a very nice 10" on OEM basis for a French manufacturer (not too dis-similar to the MD26)

Funny thing about B&C is: they're not even all that expensive.

Link to said RCF driver: http://www.rcf.it/VediMacro.phtml?IDMacro=1639&m1=0& m2=0&m3=0_0_0
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 6:26pm
Ok, I'm with you cheers. Was pretty much there but didn't want to misread.  Was wondering if you'd reply after dealing with the other thread.

I'd very much like to be in the situation of knowing how to design a whole loudspeaker system from scratch with OEM drivers and affording to buy them but that's a little way off.  For the time being I'm trying to learn how to design the optimum cabinet for a given driver, having chosen one which is close to what is required.  I think that is going to be the quickest way to learn and also be able to test designs.

Ideally I'd like a career in designing loudspeakers and cabinets....
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 6:37pm
Wouldn't we all. I don't want to create the impression that I am at exactly that stage of the Danleys and Andrews of the world at any rate just because I have a little knowledge. Stuck finishing off my honours this year and then will see whats next.

The affording bit is where the fun comes in. My next project is on an unimaginable scale: doing something like the buschhorn with a cheap 4" (2 quid) FR for a school project.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 7:00pm
Seems to me that as you go up in frequency it all gets trickier.  Its probably much easier to make a bad sounding midrange horn than a bass horn.  I just don't know enough about horns atm.  Reflex, sealed and bandpass boxes I can handle but horns are just so much more complicated.

I've just finished my degree (direct masters in electronics) which unfortunately only contained one module with any acoustics in it.  Now I'm working freelance trying to pay the bills while also trying to build my own rig.

I just want to design and build cabinets and see for myself what works.  If I'm lucky I'll come up with something which other people will like.
papourien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papourien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 3:29am
hello,
I go up this topic, I wants to build a pair of MT102 equipped with HP to the neodyum like the 10"102nd/n of beyma and the 2" CP750nd with the td460n horn

Somebody can say to me if it is well adapted to the mt102, and if so, to calculate frequency response ?

So not, to advise me for HP neodyum better adapted ?

ps : sorry for my poor english
 Post Reply Post Reply