Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

zomax products, anyone tried them?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zomax products, anyone tried them?
    Posted: 03 May 2012 at 9:31pm
i got a pair of two exit horn drivers, they seem well built and sound pretty good but have kind of low efficiency.  they seem to make things that are copies of jbl, peavey, etc, in china. but, theres a few manufacturers now using them and some prefer there sound over the jbl 2445..dont have one to try but i'd love to compare.

gonna load these into some tops and put them through there paces at about 900 hz to 20k.
bruce@bluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 7:35am
I have tried to e-mail on several occasions and they never replyAngry. I did see some of there drivers
 a few years and they looked pretty good and well made, they where also around at the same time as the sound fine.     
BUZguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUZguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 8:40am
Ha, yes remember these now that you said about it looking like a JBL copy. During the first test, my mate who thought it was a good idea buying these, managed to have the diaphragm come away from the voice coil within 10min. 4" voice coil and 2" exit these were.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 8:55am
Their 2445 product is not very good, the H2030 is great.
djk
lycantheleopard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 5:33pm
the ones i got were not the jbl copies, but a basic two exit with i'm guessing a three coil? we'll see, for less than 1/4 the cost of the real jbl 2445 for the pair, i could afford to experiment.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 11:03am
been going for donkeys. One of the first Chinese companies to turn out sh-t

....put it this way, if you had a lorry load of all their products, you may find 1 good one
lycantheleopard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lycantheleopard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 9:39pm
just got a pair of eminence psd3006, will run the zomax till they die and report back how they do.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:34am
Run a thin bead of gel-type superglue on the inside of the Kapton former right where it meets the dome, otherwise the VC will fall off with changes in humidity.

The older versions with the annular-slit phase plug are better than the newer ones with the radial-slit type.

An Altec 288/291/299 diaphragm will fit in these, but the weaker magnet in the Zomax means it won't go past 12.8Khz.

Un-equalized the H2030 measures better than the JBL2445/2380 combo (JBL has more 16Khz).

The H2030 works well in floor-wedges and medium-sized FOH rigs. I paid an average of $85 for mine, a great value.

The replacement Aton diaphragms from OCS are very good, and have Nomex formers that don't fall off.

I used to have eight bi-amped wedges with JBL E140 and the H2030 in them, they sounded killer.

Edited by _djk_ - 06 May 2012 at 6:38am
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply