Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp info please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp info please
    Posted: 09 May 2012 at 4:10pm
Hi Folks, first post here, been lurking for a while.
Was after any info on an amp I recently acquired, can't find anything out on the net, mate who I got it off also has no idea.
It's currently running my Turbosound Impact's, was using an Austin Armstrong 409c until last week  which was a beast.

Anyway the amp is a Zoffmusic Comet, not had the lid off for a peak as yet, but it's pretty heavy,made in Germany.
Has xlr ins and outs jack in and binding post outs, also has a ground lift switch

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 5:27pm
There certainly isn't a lot of info out there but google image pulls out plenty of other similar amps and also an internals pic.

Does look pretty old but solid.
Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 5:40pm
Just took off one of the side panels, for a sneaky peek, 2  transformers 1 per side, 2 silver caps, then a central cooling shaft, will get it on the bench over the weekend, give it a proper clean out, don't think this has been done for quite some time.
Find it quite dominant in the mid / high region, much more so that the 409c, thinking this is between 3 and 400 per side, the speakers are 16 ohms, which does not help
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:42pm
Is it my imagination, what's up with the indicators? I hope it's just the angle of the shot but it looks like one side is in protect to me!
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:20pm
Just the flash from the camera, amp was not turned on, switches would be illuminated if it were Smile
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:09pm
looks cool
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:37pm
Yeah looks like it's pretty well put together, it's a full on strip down job rather than just popping the lid, and it's only on loan while I decide if I want it or another one my mate has, so if I bend it I mend it.
Not really had much chance to give it a good blasting yet, neighbour has been home and still running one of the Turbo's in as it's got a new cone, so taking it steady yet
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Mrd999 Mrd999 wrote:

Just took off one of the side panels, for a sneaky peek, 2  transformers 1 per side, 2 silver caps, then a central cooling shaft, will get it on the bench over the weekend, give it a proper clean out, don't think this has been done for quite some time.
Find it quite dominant in the mid / high region, much more so that the 409c, thinking this is between 3 and 400 per side, the speakers are 16 ohms, which does not help

600 watts per channel @4ohms
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:13pm
I'm absolutely loving those handles - so functional, almost industrial - very germanic!

Nice find, and from what Col's just posted, a pretty darn useful piece of kit because that'll be 600wpc of good old fashioned RMS watts, none of your PMPO/programme/fantasy stardust wattage, just good old fashioned grunt!

Imagine what a rack of "Zoffs" would look like!

Greg
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:48pm
I'm absolutely loving those handles - so functional, almost industrial - very germanic!
And very handy as it's pretty heavy

Yeah I love it, almost ww2 style, and that is quite some poke, Impacts only rated at 125 wrms 215 prog 315 peak, but they are 16 ohms

Edited by Mrd999 - 09 May 2012 at 10:51pm
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Mrd999 Mrd999 wrote:

And very handy as it's pretty heavy

Yeah I love it, almost ww2 style, and that is quite some poke, Impacts only rated at 125 wrms 215 prog 315 peak, but they are 16 ohms

The Austin Armstrong's not a light weight either for it's age, I think the 409c is about 450 per channel also @4ohms nice amps too had a few myself and really liked them, although some would disagree as they did have some reliability issues if abused.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 6:50pm
Learned something else then, thought the Austin was 400 per side, made in Cambridge apparently .
Did have a fault with my phono to xlr lead , was only really driving 1 channel, not sure how,as still had sound out of both speakers, but eq was showing right chan and not left on the output, could potentially be a fault with the Behringer deq1024 , have another bit of kit from them that needs re booting as lose a channel . Now the zoff is running at full whack, it's a monster.
I am assuming that running 16 ohm speakers will reduce the 600w to about 200w, or am I completely wrong in that assumption ?
Thinking of going down to 8 ohm drivers

Oh and this is the guts of the Austin

Edited by Mrd999 - 10 May 2012 at 6:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>