Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top end speakers to boost Behringer B1520's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorblyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top end speakers to boost Behringer B1520's
    Posted: 04 June 2012 at 4:39pm
Hi guys,

I've just bought a pair of Behringer B1520's and the high end is, I feel, somewhat lacking.
I've looked about online for something cheap and cheerful to compensate for this and as yet have found nothing suitable.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Looking for something like piezos but already cased, my search results generally returned uncased units.
This is the ONLY two remotely promising results so far

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB410GB410&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D17&q=lab+top&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6119365871124960647&sa=X&ei=TNbMT4XrPKqk0QX314XJAQ&ved=0CG0Q8wIwAw - http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB410GB410&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D17&q=soundlab+topbox&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6119365871124960647&sa=X&ei=TNbMT4XrPKqk0QX314XJAQ&ved=0CG0Q8wIwAw

And this

http://www.capitalstores.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/5953 - http://www.capitalstores.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/5953

Neither of which are filling me with any confidence.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated, this setup could be fantastic for me if I can find the right high end solution.

Thanks,

Taylor
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by taylorblyth taylorblyth wrote:

Hi guys,

I've just bought a pair of Behringer B1520's and the high end is, I feel, somewhat lacking.
I've looked about online for something cheap and cheerful to compensate for this and as yet have found nothing suitable.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Looking for something like piezos but already cased, my search results generally returned uncased units.

Retrieve compression driver from behringer, post a pic of it here, so we can see if it looks like this..

http://csimg.pricesavvy.co.uk/srv/GB/00001786replacementdriver44t30a8/T/340x340/C/FFFFFF/url/behringer-replacement-driver.jpg

If it does, replacing it with this might help,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-CELESTION-CDX1-1746-1-SCREW-HF-DRIVER-8ohm-/400301593588?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item5d33d593f4

http://celestion.com/images/products/55/cdx11746_zoom1.png

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/images/cdx1_1746.jpg

Edited by levyte357 - 04 June 2012 at 5:04pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
taylorblyth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorblyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 4:58pm
My camera is unfortunately out of action at present (repair keeps being put off to buy more gear)
But that is exactly what they look like, albeit a little worse for wear Tongue
Radeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 5:02pm
if you have these you can probably get a better aftermarket diaphragm 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorblyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 5:05pm
Is there anyway to keep the speakers as bought and just buy some form of tweeters to stack ontop?

Thanks
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Radeon Radeon wrote:

Even if the original drivers are a Paudio 1" comp, still wouldn't sound as good as Celestion CDX 174x series.

IMHO, the Celestion is the "starting" point for half decent 1" compression drivers.

Obviously you have a screw in horn, so if you buy one of these adaptor plates for cheap, you can then buy the best 1" you can afford.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ebaypics/05-101-top-500.jpg
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by taylorblyth taylorblyth wrote:

Is there anyway to keep the speakers as bought and just buy some form of tweeters to stack ontop?

Thanks

You'll be wasting your money.

You're not getting enough high end, because your 1" comps are Dead.

No point adding Cack piezos, mounted in a Cack box.

You would end up with a stack of this..

http://goshycab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/steaming-manure.jpg

Edited by levyte357 - 04 June 2012 at 5:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorblyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 6:34pm
Okay I see your point here! :P So uprading the current components is a more viable option. How much of an audible difference can this potentially make? And what would be all the ideal upgrades?

Thanks, really appreciating this guys!
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 10:47pm

Seriously, dont go down the piezo route, unless there is a particular 'style' of sound you are after.

The suggestions of Celestion seem reasonable, and the audible difference could be considerable.

You may need to consider also whether the some of the lack of quality is from the crossover, and whether the crossover is right for the compression driver your retrofit.

Its a bit late now, but this is one of the reasons for having a good listen to speakers before commiting to buy, that way you can determine if you are happy with the quality before forking out money.

A pair of replacement compression drivers will cost a bit, you may then want to improve your crossover, and before you know it, you'll be wanting a bit more bass response from the woofer.

Potentially, you'd be better off just buying better speakers that give the results you want...The B1520 is ok, but not the best speaker ever.

But retrofitting some compression drivers could be a solution, I would suggest having a figure in your head as max amount you are willing to spend on an upgrade, and stick to it before you turn a cheap pair of speakers into a money pit.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by Radeon Radeon wrote:

Even if the original drivers are a Paudio 1" comp, still wouldn't sound as good as Celestion CDX 174x series.

From what I remember, a lot of Behringer speakers use P-Audio style CDs, never actually got to the bottom of whether they are P-Audio or not. Last time I was out in China there were half a dozen or more cheap n cheerful compression drivers using the same or similar diaphragms to P-Audio, and atleast 3 or 4 companies claiming they supplied diaphragms to P-Audio. The impression I got is there is a lot of cross-dealing and cross-selling or parts, and lots of people copying the same basic size/shape compression driver and the diaphragms all fitting one another.

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 11:03pm

I know my eyes aren't what they used to be, but isn't this to allow screw on comp' drivers to be fitted to a bolt on horn. If the original comp' driver and horn are screw on, you would want a male thread to convert the horn to bolt on.
Radeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 11:03pm
today i opened my B212Xl monitors , behringer claims that these have a 1,75" titanium (active versions have 1,35") compression driver
markings on the driver say 44T30H8 ,so i opened the driver itself and woooo there is no trace of  titanium diaphragm , it is a plastic one ......
driver itself is like paudio ones same weight ,same magnet size (and it f*** my tv from a distance of 1m)
i realy wish to know what Uli has to say about this because together with b215XL this is one of most popular behringer products  , i asked the customer service and they f***me off:

"Unfortunately as you are not one of the Music Group Research UK Ltd authorised service centres, we can nots upply any internal components or assemblies for your product.You can send your product to be repaired at our UK service centre or your local authorised service centre."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>