Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mega of London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mega of London
    Posted: 01 July 2012 at 2:12pm
Has anyone got any good photos of the Mega modular (horn loaded) pa system if so could you post there here for me?
Thanks in advance
Col.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 2:52pm
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 3:49pm
Thanks Ian I sort of knew you'd have a photo or so.

Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 6:39pm
Oh those lovely 2x12" bins.
Created quite a stir when robbo fitted them into a local reggae club. Well, at least till he fired them up!

it's all just cardboard and magnets really
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 7:42pm
I always liked the look of the mega stuff but never managed to get my grubby mitts on any of it and the only time any's come up for sale I've been skint.
Anyone else got any photo's?
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 9:01pm
Im sure John (Robbo) must have some photos,he had four cabinets on ebay recently,a pair of the 2x12's and a pair of the 15" w bins?
Be seeing you.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

I'm sure John (Robbo) must have some photos...

Photos? I'd imagine in a shed he's long forgotten about there's half of all the cabs Mega ever produced!

(Sorry John, couldn't resist it!).
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 11:28pm
Tongue
Very likely, he didn't do things by halves!
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Oh those lovely 2x12" bins.
Created quite a stir when robbo fitted them into a local reggae club. Well, at least till he fired them up!

were they no good then?
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 8:44am
I think the opposite Mike,the bass those 12" ATC drivers made in that cabinet was amazing,on par with the equivilent Martin 15" cabinets of the time.I heard a stereo stack of 2 of those per side,thumped me in the stomach at 50 feet.

A vertical column of four or six per side must have been deadly.

Incidentially,the earlier ones had large wooden grab handles running all along the sides,like the Martin 115 w bins.

Its a shame more weren't sold,but i seem to remember they were pretty expensive at the time,so most companys probually stuck with the more established Martin or ASS cabs.
Be seeing you.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 9:05am
I was in Robbo's store of joy only a few weeks back and saw the mega bass cabs for myself, still very nice. Anyway I have six of the mega radial horns for one inch comps, still brand new and unused. Anyway does anybody remember the mega cabs that had 2 x 18, 4 x 10, two inch comp and a pair of the slot radiators, all JBL? Still one of the best sounds I have ever heard. Just like a studio monitor but very loud! Probably weighed half a ton too.  
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 9:46am
I don't remember seeing the Mega cabinet but it sounds like UK's answer to the Clair S4.
Wonder how many they built? It would be great to see one.

John might have some info if he's reading this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>