Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mega of London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 6:33pm
Yup,i think you may be right Chris,my mistake..long time since i saw a pair....wasn't the HF driver an Emilar? Or was it Renkus Heinz? 1 inch i believe.
Be seeing you.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 6:44pm
yes, similar to what Martin were using in the H350 etc of the time
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 6:58pm
Yes Volt 10" drivers and the lens was an RCF one---You can easily tell the RCF lenses by the plate spacer clip on the front of each wave--these plastic clips were a pain in the wotsit as they used to break or fall off even when handled with care--a lot of these cabinets were made for different people as it was a popular install unit and were offered with a choice of HF driver but the standard stock item driver was a Peavey 22A would you believe as Mega used to fit them in lots of their early cabinets, until we told them how bad they sounded.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 7:24pm
Looking back over this thread, did anyone ever post the Mega Compact (Clair S4 lookalike) brochure?
If not, I could scan my copy.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 7:27pm
that would be good to see
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 7:29pm
I don't think we've seen that one. Please scan.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 11:27pm
Here you are, all 9 pages.

I tried uploading these to the forum directly, but it mangled them into an unreadable low resolution, so please downlaod from these links:

www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc1.jpg
www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc2.jpg
www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc3.jpg
www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc4.jpg
www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc5.jpg
www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc6.jpg
www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc7.jpg
www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc8.jpg
www.spamabyss.net/pictures/Mc9.jpg

The system was also marketed as the SCV Systeme Compact, as CP Mega had links with the French company SCV.
I wonder if the electronic crossover described in the brochure was an SCV design?

Edited by madboffin - 21 October 2013 at 12:06am
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 9:47am
Certainly remember the Mini Compact but never saw the Compact - even in ads. Presume they used the side by side arrangement of the 10s in the Compact to reduce the beaming that would occur with a 4x10 column.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 10:53am
There was deffinately a 2x10+ horn in their range,that had there own acoustic lens on it,as Robbo says,this one on the previous page is an RCF,but mega's own one was a crinkle affair similar to the JBL 2390,but smaller,with a 1" driver......Someone on here had a pair of the actual Mega lenses,i cant remember who exactly,but old mod James rings a bell?
Be seeing you.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 1:45pm
....and then James lent them to Dan Descendant, and then Dan lent them to me, and I built some boxes for them, and then Dan decided he wanted them back....dammit LOL So they currently reside in London with my mate Dan. 
They were a bit bent, but sounded very nice, and were fitted with Gauss drivers, model number worn off the label IIRC.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 3:23pm
Well done,i knew i wasn't imagining it! Clap

By the way,those 1" gauss drivers were model 2081.
Be seeing you.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 3:30pm
I remember hearing the compact system at a BADEM (pre PLASA) show in London back in 1982 I think it was. We got a proper audition in their (small) room. They were using their own amp rack and feeding it via a Revox A77 playing Supertramp. One of the most impressive systems I have heard to date. My mate with me at the time just turned to them and said "I have never heard so many frequencies all at the same time." He was shocked at the clarity for what was supposed to be a PA system sounding like studio monitors.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>