Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small 8" Speaker Plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsam3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small 8" Speaker Plans
    Posted: 17 October 2012 at 12:31pm
I'm looking to build some conference style speakers, 8" plus compression or something similar. Will have to have handles and pole mount. Does anyone have any plans. I looked at the B&C Box8 but costing it up looks to be about £350 a box which seems rather steep.

Anyone got anything..?
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 12:47pm
I thought about doing this a while ago for some horizontally designed top boxes, again an 8" and a 1" to be mounted horizontally on truss.
Once I had factored in the wood, drivers, crossover, wadding, feet, handles, horn flare i was looking at nearly £400 a box!
Sorry I couldn't help as such but hope someone can :)

djsam3000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsam3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 1:01pm
Glad its not just me finding this then, so a production box may actually be the answer then. Is that what you went for in the end or just didn't do anything?
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 1:20pm
Even with an half decent passive* I would have thought £200-£220 max and that is to make a box as good as a hi-end offering.

I can personally vouch for BMS 8S215 + 4524 on Faital SH100 (Price around £140 all in) or the 8C250 (around £130).

* Assuming basic X-over with external EQ. Nexo stylee :)

Tony

www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 1:32pm
I just didn't do anything in the end my friend. I really wanted to have a small cab, made by myself as a summer project and i was looking forward to making it. 
Maybe I might soon :)

But Tony, surely take £140 for drivers and flare (i budgeted £190 ish)
money for all the wood 
Money for the fixings, fly tracks, top hat mount and handles.
Grille
Paint
Speakon sockets/crossover board (lpad?)
Wadding

It does soon add up?

Toby

Edited by mrspeedy - 17 October 2012 at 1:33pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 1:43pm
The box is tiny so wood, may be £10 at most. Grill would be bugger all*, Fly tracks?  Pole mounts cover most of the uses for these boxes. It would only need one handle which could be part of the box.
Speakon sockets and plate say £8.00 max and then the big unknown would be the X-over and I would have thought that around £25-35 would cover that. It is only dealing with a 200w driver so no need to go "Large".

*Grill plain sheet mounting into slots on the side of the cab. See my latest 12" + 1" comp thread.

Tony
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 1:43pm

It shouldn’t be that tricky to select drive units within your price range and design a box around them.

The one on the left is a PD cone and BMS compression driver.
The one on the right is the BMS coax, mentioned above by Tony.

djsam3000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsam3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 5:45pm
Tony, 

The speakers suggested look good but I don't know how to design the box around them. I'm sure there is a thread here isn't there to show me how to use the right software....would appreciate a link...
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 5:52pm
A lot of folks on here use this* however you still need a bit of experience in designing boxes as the software only really gets you part way there.

* http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

Tony
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 7:26pm
I recently de-cluttered my PC (new hard drive and fresh install) so took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest version of winisd.

I don't know why there is no direct download link, but it can be found if you search through the forum. The designs seem similar, but it has a fresh layout and I've found it more stable on Windows 7.
TMAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 9:38pm
We could produce somthing for far less than 350-400 per box fully assembled with components.
Flat pack & fully assembled Speaker cabinet design and CNC manufacturing. www.speaker-cabinets.co.uk
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by TMAL TMAL wrote:

We could produce somthing for far less than 350-400 per box fully assembled with components.

There are quite a lot of people on this forum who could. I thought that the idea was to encourage people with understanding how to design their own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>