Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

constant dispersion 2kHz - 15kHz point source

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2012 at 2:48am
Differing lengths of cable shouldn't create enough latency to produce audible comb filtering. One problem I can imagine is, having to explain to every dj or the club owner why traditional stereo doesn't work outside of the studio or sitting room. 

If you did want to try stereo you could try building a mid side speaker system, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3K-_XkPVUw. Feedback is the main problem with live music but with pre recorded music it would work. 
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2012 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

I`m also in agreement with ( in principle) what Hond is looking for...

I`m pretty bored of listening to large ( arena / stadium ) systems where the stereo image is held as the crucial if not overriding design feature? If I`m in the bleachers 150m away from the stage I would want the best sound possible NOT the best stereo image. Having multiple hangs, sometimes with LR reversed for sides and delays just adds to the general confusion of stereo signals and IMO just makes the source signal even more difficult for our hearing to sort out!
Reay from NCA once designed a system for Wembley arena with one central column of point source boxes ( admittedly he did then split the column into L/R vertical sections to acheive some stereo imaging!) . Wembley is a horrible room to set up in and usually it`s just trying to contain the room reflections to get a decent sound. That particular setup was the most coherent for speech I`d ever heard. I know in the past that Flashlight has been arrayed like that and no doubt elsewhere round the world. BUT  the modern trend is Line Arrays and stereo imaging .... .line arrays ! ...that`s a another can of worms!

Maybe taking that concept one step further with a central column of Unity horns ( and maybe satellite L/R hangs for that important stereo stuff) would be what Hond is looking for? Which is pretty much what Tom Danley is doing in the States with his Jericho horn installs for very large stadiums and arenas??

I`d personally love to hear that one day !

.p.

phil, the main reason for reversing sterio on the LL RR hangs on a touring (48 or more box) system, is to cut dow the nasty as hell comb filtering you get if both of thoes overlapping hangs are playing exactly the same signal. believe it or not, its actualy the  best way to get even coverage from a 4 hang line array system
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2012 at 8:32pm
That's not the reason I was led to believe. It's to keep a stereo image on the sides as well. I don't see how it would reduce comb filtering unless every channel is hard panned to either side? If a vocal channel say is panned centre the same information is sent to L+R... Same for LL+RR..... That's 4 sources of the same signal? .... That's comb filtering right there... ?
P
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 2:06pm
na you would generaly only ever get 2 hangs hitting any given point LL and L, L and R or R and RR. the slight differences between L and R signal go a long way to reduce comb filtering/degradation, although as you have said, its not perfect.

you must rember also, that this is only effective in the range in which the hangs are directional, but with a large hang that gets you down throught most of the sensitive band.

the sterio immaging created by reversing the side hangs is secondary, and can only be of any real value in some non image relate effects, because as you have pointed out, sterio image panning is obvioulsy useless if you are 50 degrees to SL and the PA RR and R hangs are reversed.

cheers
dave
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 2:10pm
ps. its easy to critisize this method, but with my best intention, i ask you to try to think of a more logical way to provide evenish coverage of a sterio signal across an audience of 10000 seated in perhaps a 120 degree arc of the stage.

Edit: for example, the SEC in sydney. ive done that place with several differnt 4 hang line array systems, and a MSL4 system too once, and its no easy task to get everything right for everyone in the audience

Edited by thepersonunknown - 24 November 2012 at 2:15pm
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 3:14pm
Has anyone tried a stereo bessel array?

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 4:00pm
sorry mate, im going to require a little more explanation please
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 3:04am
Originally posted by thepersonunknown thepersonunknown wrote:

ps. its easy to critisize this method, but with my best intention, i ask you to try to think of a more logical way to provide evenish coverage of a sterio signal across an audience of 10000 seated in perhaps a 120 degree arc of the stage.

Edit: for example, the SEC in sydney. ive done that place with several differnt 4 hang line array systems, and a MSL4 system too once, and its no easy task to get everything right for everyone in the audience

Funnily Enuff I was in the SEC when I was writing that post the other day! Putting up a lot of K1 and V-Dosc + Delays....

I know the logical way would be to scrap the stereo idea and stick to a mono feed to a central hang with satelite systems for hard panned sounds, as I stated I don`t see why the great GOD STEREO should be adhered to if it confuses the sound field at larger events? It makes me laugh to consider stereo panning on a large outdoor festival site when line arrays are swinging the sound around in the breeze / heat anyway!

Covering a 10000 seater indoor arena with a central hang would be the ideal way to get a better image and less time/ phase issues at all seats? Delays would be easier to align to one central source from stage? At the moment I presume you like everyone else aligns delays to the mains and sod the sidehangs or any floor fills? I don`t agree that arrays have a certain distance they go to and then you can simply ignore them in your coverage plans? ( Soundvision says it only goes this far so I`m  sticking to that...!) Like having side hangs..they will interact with the delays maybe at a reduced level but still enough that at a point say 2/3rd from the stage up in the SR side bleachers you would be getting mains ( say PA R) + sides ( PA L) + delays ( Mono or maybe PA L).....

BUT with the way a stage works and the inset system in place it is very difficult to even consider getting a centre hang into most set designs let alone asking a production if they want to try it?

So we`re stuck with what IMO is a less than ideal sound for a larger number of punters when using multiple stereo hangs. But hey the FOH guy is happy in his stereo sweet spot !

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 12:01pm

The Bessel array was developed by Philips. The basic idea is to produce an array with the same directivity as a single unit. The main disadvantage is the low efficiency. For more information use your favourite search engine.

I guess that as well as copying the ubiquitous home stereo, using a stack either side the stage left a convenient gap in the middle for the band.

hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 2:11pm
@Abe The Babe: lol that's exactly what I was thinking about a couple of days ago :p Thanks for that link :) 

I was thinking the other day if you invert one channel so that all the "mono" content is removed and the true stereo/spatial information remains and then send the spatial info through 2 L/R speakers and the mono signal through a central speaker.
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 5:13pm
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 5:30pm
Sounds similar to L-C-R, but more so.  Can't fully get my head around the Bessel Array.  Would like to see a big one.
music is the message
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>