Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Bad Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Bad Speakers
    Posted: 16 October 2004 at 5:07pm

Hi there,

I have some Belgian handmade speakers somewhere in a far away corner. These speaker are very well and heavy build (around 15 kg/p with big magnet and heavy alu frame), but I havn't got a clue to do with them

I once phoned the manufacturer (a Canadien who worked at cervin wega before and now lives in Brussels strating his own brand) and he didn't want to give plans, but he gave me the T&S parameters

I once calculated a BR box (around 200l and tuned at 35 Hz) and it sounded awfull...(calculated with Lasip)

can anyone take a look at the specs and suggest me something (my speaker design capabilities are very limited)?

Model:  Techno Voice GTS 18B

SD: 1080 cm²

Vas: 353.286

Cms: 2.17E-04 m/N

Cas: 2.52E-06 m^5/N

Mmd: 85.2 gr

Mms: 105.28 gr

Rms: 3.9 Ns/m

Fs: 33.3 Hz

Bl: 23.17 N/A

Re: 4.71 ohm

Qms: 5.65

Qes: 0.19

Qts: 0.19

Pmax: 600 W

Xmax: 13.64 mm

h: 9.09 mm

t: 22.73 mm

Hope this will do

Cheers

freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2004 at 5:20pm
FWIW "may" work well in original 1951 Karlson box for short throw although Qe suggests a horn  - Contour used  Craaft 18 in 15" Karlson - ask him for opinions vs horn application - it may work well in Rog's horns

your driver has incrediblycool specs - this type with low mass isn't seen other than AA Craaft and your Vas must be higher plus more motor and much more xmax

for "fun" look at this bassbin plan

Cetec-Gauss K18 http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/GK
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2004 at 5:46pm

Such a speaker isn't meant for bas reflex... as you already discovered yourself .

You should be able to use it, in most designs that are also suitable for the Void V18 1000. So either a folded horn or a (6th order) bandpass would do the trick.

What do you have in mind/ what do you use on top?

Cheers

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2004 at 5:57pm
This speaker has en extremely light cone for its size and a low qts to boot. Smells like a classic horn-speaker to me, and with not half bad parameters to boot (if they can be trusted, which I'd assume)

Martin
volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2004 at 5:57pm

If it could play with a 12 inch 400 W bass reflex with a 2inch driver, it would be perfect!

But as I understand, I can put them in the X1??(I have also some heavier tops)

What other desings do you think about?

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2004 at 9:19am

Exponential 2metre horn with

4,000cm^2 mouth area

600cm ^2 throat area

77litre Rear chamber(or open  back if you prefer scoop nonlinearities)

Results in ~55hz bass

magic_mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magic_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 2:39am
freddyi
I had a look at the Karlson cabinet link. When I looked at the drawings, it appeared there was no porting. I thought the Karlson was a big bass reflex cabinet with a funny looking curtain in front of it.
I ask, because I'm looking for something to put a set of four 18" cetec-gauss loudspeakers in.
I bought them some years ago, but haven't had the heart to build cabs for them because the time and wood and storage invested to put the cabinets together. I want to put them in something compact but efficient. They must go loud and I'd like to see them get down to 40hz before they fall off.
This seems almost impossible in a small cabinet, but, hope springs eternal.
I've been scouring the web to find a set of drawings for the cetec gauss K-18 and the electrovoice sh1810 cabinets. Now in the last month, I've found both.

Bless this forum and all those who sail her!
If anyone has any feedback or suggestions regarding cabinet selection, I'd be very happy to hear it.
Thanks in advance
Mike
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 4:09am
hi magic-mike - K's are 'generally' ported - 1951 Karlson has ~40sq.in.rangin down to>32sq.in. and Cetec Gauss similar  -

with limited experience I think they are OK for compact box - wing flare rate and itnial gap width seems to influenece things - not as much gain overall as a horn but seems like the cone is loaded well - will assume (hope) C-G did some prototyping before releasing their verison

K18 from Gauss might hit pretty hard - a higher apsect might do better but take some work to find out.

this is one cool forum -( hope I'm not muckin' it up)

Best,

Freddy

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2004 at 1:27am

I don't like Gauss/Celtec-- no vent on pole piece for cooling and that big black 'heatsink' thing is actually just for looks i think, because i unbolted 1 off a 12 inch Gauss 4212 and it has ceramic magnet underneath and 'heatsink' don't touch magnet just floats on 4 screws.But I unbolted another Gauss 'heatsink' and it had alnico magnet.No pole piece vent might be ok for midrange use-- but certainly not for bass.

So i can see them Gauss voicecoil's burning up unless the 18 inchers 'heatsink' is actually a heatsink not some fancy thing for looks!

magic_mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magic_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2004 at 10:13pm
Sorry Toxic
Gauss may not be to your liking, but when they were built they were well ahead of their time. They have 4" voice coils and double spiders. They were the only drivers built in the early seventies with those features. When those were built, you had the choice of Electrovoice, JBL and Gauss (at least if you were building professional loudspeakers, not toys). I like all of those, but the Gauss were the industry leaders at the time. Nothing else could touch them as far as power handling and efficiency went. Nowadays, there are lots of loudspeaker manufacturers who put together some very nice product. I'm sorry you don't like Gauss, but Gauss is what I have, so that's what I'm gonna work with. I wish I had the money for P-audio or Void, but if wishes were fishes...
So if someone has some suggestions about a cabinet for them, thanks. I'm gonna try to find the T/S parameters and see if it's worth the effort.
Since I'm pretty backwards, I don't have a windows based machine and therefore can't do any of the wonderful horn calculations you all can do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2004 at 11:49pm

A truth Magic Mike, in the days you hadn't much choice! Or you had the over expansive JBL's or EV's or Gausses or... They costed a lott (and still do) but they had the best sound and could play at far the loudest!! (old time days) Now adays .... its just the choice between collapsing lung sound or a brain damage sound, just depends on what music you perfer().

But to, TB Mike, does it mean that I can use the sooper scooper with my Electro Voices? or do you have other designs in mind??

volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2004 at 11:50pm
Sorry, I don't mean Electro Voice but Techno Voice!! (how confusing)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>