Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid Side Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 2:43am
if you want to mirror a mid sid mic setup, yes.

what I'm looking for is something different 
RussD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2015 at 4:25pm
Not sure if members of this forum are aware of the following:

A commercial version of a mid-side speaker system has been offered for quite some time.  I bought two Space Station Mk II powered "single point stereo" speakers that were designed by Aspen Pittman when he owned and operated Groove Tubes.  I use them regularly when playing small to medium sized gigs (guitar, vocals, keyboards).  The 300 degree sound field from these things is amazing!  Not really true stereo, however, they reproduce the stereo effects used in keyboards (like that of a Hammond Leslie cabinet) remarkably well.  They provide an output for a subwoofer then when used rolls off everything below 100Hz from the internal speakers since the sub will then be handling that.  The internal speakers are about 10dB down at about 60Hz.  The "stereo" effect projected by these speakers is even anywhere in a room - a very interesting phenomena that is very pleasing compared to mono.  Conventional stereo does not work well in for live sound PA system applications.

Info on the Space Station MkII (no longer produced) can be found here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SFXSSmkII

Info. on version 3 of the Space Station (current production version) can be found here:

http://www.centerpointstereo.com/about.php

mediatechnology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mediatechnology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 1:35am
Hi. This is my first post here. I found this place while searching for information on Mid Side Speaker arrays.

I was recently ask to modify one of my MS Mid Side Matrix boards for a guitarist who had used the Centerpoint Space Station but felt it under-powered and wanted to try it with larger amps and different speaker arrangements.

In the process of adapting an existing mastering width circuit I had a chance to listen to a three speaker Mid Side Array and was blown away by the huge ambient image. I was impressed enough to want to build another one for myself for casual listening.

I've posted my thoughts on proaudiodesignforum.com along with schematics for the encoder: http://www.proaudiodesignforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=742

This is the Mid Side board and Width control. Only half the board is used.

The inputs are Left and Right; the outputs Mid and Side. The Width Control varies Side from 0 to 100% as Mid is varied from 100% to 0%.  Four of the ICs provide balanced I/O. The heart of the MS encoder circuit are two THAT1240 and a dual op amp such as the LM49860, NE5523 or NJM2114.

Edited by mediatechnology - 01 July 2015 at 1:40am
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2015 at 9:54am
wow that looks nice!
angelineacord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelineacord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 8:29am
The positioning of speaker at the mid side is not a bad idea.
mediatechnology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mediatechnology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 7:39pm
Thanks everyone. I'm really anxious to get the speaker array set back up and have some of my geek neighbors come over and listen to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123