Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Celestion CF18VJD vs PD1850

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 8:36pm
Itech 8000's like other lightweights don't usually give you full rated power spec. I've used Itech 8000 on 1851's and amp hasn't given me full potential of driver.

I would say for fast pace dance/house music, Itech will Fi what it says on the tin, but lazy long bass noted found in reggae music, the Itech does run out of steam!!

Edited by Motion54 - 25 December 2012 at 8:37pm
UpComingSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpComingSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 8:38pm
u said there more subs other then scoops, lol not for me luv the scoops
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 8:47pm
So essentially you guys reckon the Crown will not hold up the required ~126 volts on its output for timescales longer than 1 second? 

I respect these amps as I have seen a pair drive 12 double-18" bandpass bins - the Nexo S2, which contains 6 ohm drivers, hence with a bit of series paralleling you can get 4x, 4 ohm channels out of 12 bins - and create serious thunder in a large commercial venue, whilst sitting in the amp room idly flicking a -10dB light and never getting even slightly warm.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Motion54 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 9:02pm
What kinda music was it driving?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 12:46am
Originally posted by JahMic JahMic wrote:

Also how much power does it take per driver to get the Celestions going. Reason for all the questions is i can get the cf18vjd $300 bucks cheaper than the 1850s. 

That is a pretty valid reason for getting the Celestions. Is that $300 cheaper per driver !?

But you will have to spend the driver money saved on very serious amp power.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 12:56am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

So essentially you guys reckon the Crown will not hold up the required ~126 volts on its output for timescales longer than 1 second? 

I respect these amps as I have seen a pair drive 12 double-18" bandpass bins - the Nexo S2, which contains 6 ohm drivers, hence with a bit of series paralleling you can get 4x, 4 ohm channels out of 12 bins - and create serious thunder in a large commercial venue, whilst sitting in the amp room idly flicking a -10dB light and never getting even slightly warm.

I was very under-whelmed by lack of SPL from ITECH8 driving 2x PD1850s per channel.

Smooth bass notes yes, pressure no.

This amp definitely cannot drive 2x Celestions per channel.

JahMic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JahMic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 2:07am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Also how much power does it take per driver to get the Celestions going. Reason for all the questions is i can get the cf18vjd $300 bucks cheaper than the 1850s. 

That is a pretty valid reason for getting the Celestions. Is that $300 cheaper per driver !?

But you will have to spend the driver money saved on very serious amp power.

Yeah 300 us dollars cheaper per driver. And i'm on budget. I do have a crest 8002 already . And i could sell the Itech, and with the money from that get a deton 4400 and two cf18 drivers.  But will the deton and the crest have enough power for the cf18?  I would be running 2 scoops of each amp bridged. 
PauliePaul View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 10:49am
I've used I-T8's on all type of genres, powering (amongst other cabinets) double PD.1850 loaded subs, could never fault them to be honest, never ran out of steam on any occasion...
However, my signal chain was.... source --> mixing desk --> DSP --> amplifier.... very simple and never over processed. All signal processing (inc EQ'ing) was done in the DSP to match system being run, minor adjustments were made on the desk. On a few occasions, a KT DN360 was inserted in the desk, but ususally, this was not needed.

Back to the original topic - the PD.1850 had it's 25th birthday this year - it still seems to be holding it's own against all the new drivers, even if it is in some people's view 'old hat'.... LOL. New products have come (and sometimes gone) from various manufacturers, but none have really seemed to dent the '50's dominance of certain markets.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 12:33pm

Yeah 300 us dollars cheaper per driver. And i'm on budget. I do have a crest 8002 already . And i could sell the Itech, and with the money from that get a deton 4400 and two cf18 drivers.  But will the deton and the crest have enough power for the cf18?  I would be running 2 scoops of each amp bridged. 

If definitely getting CF18s, maybe just get 2x first, to ensure they are happy in your cabs.

The Deton Aone 4400 will drive 2x CF18 in bridge no problem.

Before buying that amp, also check used price of QSC 5050/4050HD.

Deton are very, very strong, but still Chinese, used QSC would be preferable if available.
Crest 8001 "might" also do the job in bridge, if you can borrow one first to test.

Also don't forget, if you get the more expensive 1850s, 1x 9001 will power 8x of those. Wink

So do plenty of price checking and comparison, before spending.

Edited by levyte357- - 26 December 2012 at 12:35pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 12:56pm
Paulie very true.....

Luton lol.... Happy cristmas m8t, its just a bit of banter. Next time we meet up the beers is on me. Yes we have had a few moments this year, but its just banter from my part.

opps re scoop section, my comments are based on a few box types not just scoops.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

I was very under-whelmed by lack of SPL from ITECH8 driving 2x PD1850s per channel.

Smooth bass notes yes, pressure no.

This amp definitely cannot drive 2x Celestions per channel.

How many times have you seen this amp try to drive these drivers? I still don't believe it really has this lack of cojones. It's very expensive so, at that price, if it really didn't do what it says on the tin why wouldn't people send it back?

I have, though, seen evidence to support your recommendation of a Crest 8001 per 2 drivers; I've been very surprised to see one run out of steam trying to power 4 1850's in mini scoops. It was an American import so came with a power cable like an elephant's trunk presumably to deal with the vast current required at 110v input and, of course, is the weight of a small planet and too deep to fit in most racks. However, it would also seem that unless you run it at 2 ohms a side/4 ohm bridge it will clip like a bastard before even enough bass to make a psytrance hippy dance has been achieved. An old Carver PT1800 is able to spank it into next week at 4 ohms. Although they look and feel big, they are current monsters only, and have comparatively low output voltage. 
(Personally, I would hang 4x 400 watt Fanes off each side, and blow people's trousers off LOL)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

How many times have you seen this amp try to drive these drivers? I still don't believe it really has this lack of cojones. It's very expensive so, at that price, if it really didn't do what it says on the tin why wouldn't people send it back?

The first time I saw it, was infinitely relevant, as it was an actual amp test with scoops, and Roots Reggae, and "ultra realistic" venue.

Amp paled into insignificance, compared to "less powerful", Inf8MK2. LOL

How can an amp rated at 4kwpc @ 4 ohm, fail to exceed or even "match", same SPL as amp only rated at 2.5kwpc @ 4 ohms, on SAME load, with same music source, in same venue.

Only one possible conclusion.. B*llox specs.

2nd time was in GP, driving 2x PD1851s per channel. Again clipping way before giving each driver approx 1KW, and that was on 32A supply.Dead

Should be renamed, Crown JOKETECH 8.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>