Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What compression driver?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesFlipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What compression driver?
    Posted: 30 November 2012 at 10:02am
What are peoples feelings and experience with different compression drivers?
I'm looking for a 1.4" driver to cross over with the mids at about 2k on quite a soft slope.
My preference has always been Beyma generally but i've been looking at Faital Pro recently and they look pretty sweet! anyone use these?
Also there's BMS but the only dedicated HF compression they do is Ferrite... Still though?
J
"DFA switch fitted"
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 12:36pm
I have tried about every available driver from all brands on a variety of horns and still keep coming out with B&C. Though other brands have good drivers too, but B&C always comes on top especially in the 1" and 1.4" drivers.

B&C DE-900/910/912 is absolute first choice in 1.4" for me.
Beyma CP-755/Nd or CP-755/Ti also real good sounding drivers, just less efficient than the B&C. I don't care what the spec sheets say, the difference is audible and shows clearly in measuring.
JamesFlipside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesFlipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 12:49pm
OK fine but they only do one horn for 1.4" drivers and in need 60x40 dispersion 
"DFA switch fitted"
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 1:36pm
You mean the ME90 horn ?
Hmm yes, but considdering the fact you are going to cross fairly high (~2k), there are other brands/models that could fit the bill. 18Sound, RCF, Beyma, BMS, ...

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 5:21pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 10:21pm
a question
why do you want to use an 1.4" comp driver when your crossing over that high ?
normally you use the bigger cd drivers so you can cross lower like 1.2/4

a good 1" driver would be more suitable i would of thought

ive had lots of good experiences with b&c and bms drivers so there worth looking at
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Why not 2":

http://www.p-audio.co.uk/products/P-Audio_BM-D750_100W_2_inch_Throat_Compression_Driver.html

Best value for money hf driver I´ve found.

USE P-audio BM-D740

it's the same driver with a 1.4" exit.

Or see if you can get the P-audio SD-63BF
Sounds really goodClap

Edited by Mircea Bartic - 30 November 2012 at 11:15pm
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 12:07am
if you cross at 2khz, b&c de250 is a very nice driver imho
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 11:00am
If it has to be 1.4" then have a look at the Faital HF144, but as been mentioned by others crossing at 2K then a good 1" will be suitable.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 01 December 2012 at 12:15pm
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 11:39am
Originally posted by JamesFlipside JamesFlipside wrote:

OK fine but they only do one horn for 1.4" drivers and in need 60x40 dispersion 

You can mix and match manufacturers for compression drivers and horns!

In terms of horns, I cannot recommend the 18Sound offerings highly enough.

As with all these things it comes down to how much you can afford to spend.  You're unlikely to be dissapointed by any of the offerings from the big name brands.  There's a reason why a lot of high end manufacturers have used B&C compression drivers for a long while.

As has been mentioned, a lot of the P-Audio offerings are a good option if you can't justify the big money drivers.  I've got some of the old SD-740's and am very happy with them.
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 4:04am
sorry for the hyjack, but which 1 or 1.4, 1.5inch comp horn combos can play at 135db cont between 3kish and right up to 20k reasonably flat.

budget is more or less unlimited (in a reasonable way). just nothing silly, like unobtanium diaframs and grey diamond and ruby push plugs, or much worse.... audiophile hifi prices with directional wires, geothermal phase alignment coupleing paint and uber highly gometrically semi sperical cupola shaped diaframs (which is obviously a vast improvement over domes, which use only one noun and no adjectives or adverbs). pseudo science comes at a price, but hey, its great for the pseudo inteligent pseudo work hard for their money... only explanation i can think of, but then again im obviously tho thick to understand the value of these innovations

its not an an easy task. one option ive been weighing was to use 2 line array drivers, as a single comp which can do this seems a little elusive. perhaps ive been looking in the wrong places. extra points for non metalic diaframs.

what do we think?

cheers
dave
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 6:06am
Originally posted by thepersonunknown thepersonunknown wrote:

sorry for the hyjack, but which 1 or 1.4, 1.5inch comp horn combos can play at 135db cont between 3kish and right up to 20k reasonably flat.

3k-20k, 135dB continuous, single driver/diaphragm(diafram)? Pretty much none (I know of).

Some of the BMS coaxials can theoretically do it, but those are technically 2 drivers/diaphragms (and for the price of 4 LOL).

Hard to even imagine a single driver with 300W rating and 110dB+ throughout the whole range (3k-20k), or 150W/113dB for that matter.. It doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch though (3-4dB), so there actually might be something exotic out there, who knows..

Many of the large format drivers can do those 135dB(cont) usually between 1k-3k. The better ones maybe like 0.8k-6k at best, but that's about..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>