Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

horn tops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 11:59pm
no doubt they're designed for those drivers... and word is they are very loud and clear. don't get hung up on the watts ratings..
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 12:10am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

Those are Limmer horns

http://www.speakerstore.nl/products/detail/566

they use a 100w 6" driver, is that "loud" enough if i wanted to build 4 THAM15 and 2 kick bins... how may would i need do you think? i want to build two stack of 2x THAM15 1x kick + how many of these tops?

sorry for the dumb ass questions but im used to prebuilt tops rated at 300w+ and would now like to do my own

Mini-Mad, providing you set the correct crossover into the 6"s, one will be plenty per 2 x THAM15

You'll need to be careful with the crossovers though - the 'kick' (or midbass) loudspeakers will need to go fairly high to meet them safely. Don't take my word for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to be crossed over at 500Hz+.

At this range, you are limited to either straight horns or direct radiating to cover that range happily. Don't expect many 'kick' (IE ES-18) bins to be happy playing that high! (120Hz-500Hz)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 12:12am
A light coned, small VC 15" in bass reflex will happily hammer out that range Thumbs Up
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 12:35am
i have some PDs i was gonna build some THAM12's from that might do it... pd 12sb30's any good?
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 12:35am
for the kicks i mean....
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 12:45am
Not really, can't go high enough, isn't efficient enough and will struggle to keep up with everything else!

Take a look at Fane Sovereign Pro 15-500 for a budget solution. Has a reference efficiency of 3.6% and comes in at under £100 Smile.

Hopefully some more experienced members will wade in at this point - and suggest a far superior alternative Big smile

Edited by infrasound - 02 December 2012 at 12:47am
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 12:58am
ok... as i wanted to build simple reflex for the kicks the Fanes dont look to bad.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 1:02am
Thumbs Up

Can upgrade to a neo 15" later if wanted - you should be able to get another 5dB with more expensive drivers (+2.5dB efficiency, +2.5dB power handling)
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 1:06am
as we're talking about kicks anyway... do you still tune them close to their fs but just use them in their kick band width of 120-500?  or do you tune them higher to within the band your using? 

Edited by mini-mad - 02 December 2012 at 1:39am
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 8:28am

Maybe selling these as a spare part (horn only), they have a passive too.

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 10:58am
ahhh.... hello mykey

yes i would be interested ... very interested
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12