Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
grantdavis28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantdavis28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 8:19pm
my other option is this: http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/products/575-wide-range-kevlar-cone-woofers-525-inch-

or this: http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/products/561-polypropylene-cone-hi-fi-woofer-525-inch
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 8:31pm
messages are in the upper left corner
grantdavis28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantdavis28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

messages are in the upper left corner

theres nothing there unfortunatley
blossom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 12:38am
Hi Grant Davis. I am also a kiwi. I am not sure of your application. I have used Lepai with car audio speakers at times. And with a pair of 6.5 inch 2 ways I have created easily sufficient volume for 10 people to drink too. I suggest you just get some cheap second hand 6.5s or 6x9s off of trademe and some mdf offcuts and bang something together spending as little as possible on everything. You should be able to find some speakers for much less than fifty bucks and you have already got the lepai. You should be able to find mdf offcuts in a give away bin out the front of a joinery factory close to you. So for very little dollars you could be underway and have something that fits your needs depending on application of course. Just a thought anyway.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 11:51am

Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

Thanks, so no audible effect on the woofer?

Practically none, as it's in principle no different than putting a normal tweeter with a series capacitor in parallel. The piezo is a capacitance and a normal tweeter is a resistance (with a tiny series inductance). So it's basically the same thing.

Edited by Saturnus - 02 December 2013 at 11:53am
Big SturL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big SturL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2013 at 3:59pm
Now that it seems that the NS525 are out of stock forever as well, are there by any chance any options that have popped up recently? Furthermore, Saturnus, is there anything new to report on the micro?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2013 at 4:26pm
http://canopysound.dk/ in Copenhagen managed to snatch a batch of the ns525s. They are not listed on their site though but you can try sending them a mail.

It is likely that  they will make a return though in the same or slightly different version, probably under the Dayton name. It is likely they will cost a bit more though but they where also exceptionally cheap.
gougoune5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gougoune5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2013 at 5:39pm
Hi everyone,,

I am quite advanced in my build and this thread has been immensely helpful. However, I have a question regarding the choice of Tweeter. I have found the Audax TW010F1 tweeters at a very good price and I was wondering if they could act as a substitute to the daytons.

Here is the spec sheet :  https://www.solen.ca/pdf/audax/tw010f1.pdf - https://www.solen.ca/pdf/audax/tw010f1.pdf

Edit : I am using the Aura NS525's, but I cannot find the JAMO tweeters for less than 35$ each! If the Audax does not fit the bill, are the dayton ND16AFA-6 OK to use with the NS525's?

Edit2 : Sorry, I just saw that my question has been answered by Saturnus a few pages back, recommending the Daytons. However, I have already bought the TW010F1. Should I go ahead and order in some ND16FA-6 anyways? Is the sound going to be really bad with the Audax tweeters? Sorry for all the questions, I am just starting to learn!

Thanks for any and all help! Sleepy

Edited by gougoune5 - 13 December 2013 at 8:12pm
Evilgrin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilgrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2013 at 3:45am
Well my Mini is down for the count with a busted amp board.

Wo far I have gone thru 3 of these amps so far http://www.parts-express.com/t-amp-tripath-ta2024-2x15w-audio-digital-amplifier-board--320-600

1st one was my fault hooked up the power wires in reverse (learned not to work when exhausted)
2nd one was operator error plugged in a phone already playing at max volume and burned out the amp.
3rd amp just refuses to turn on not quite sure why.

So I'm going to give up on those amps forever I have a spare dayton DTA-2 amp that I can install for now but would like something a bit more robust then that.
Any idea when the AMP Saturnus was hinting about will be in mass production?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2013 at 8:47am
No idea yet.

Until then maxamp20 from maxamp.nl is a very good alternative. It's designed with our specific purpose in, ie. portable sound system use. It should be able to handle anything you can throw at them.
Maverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 1:24pm
Hi There,

Luke here, long time reader first time poster. I'll start by thanking Saturnus and everyone that has contributed to the boominator. Love your work.

I was fortunate enough to build one of the original mini's with the Aura NS6. What a beast of a player!!!!

Unfortunately my boominator was short lived. It was on the last night (ney years eve) of my camping trip down the coast that my boominator met and unfortunate end. After being neglected by drunk friends my boominator was forced to fight mother nature herself as a high tide rose to claim the box. I managed to salvage the box and have only today opened her up to assess the damage. Thanks to a fantastic design (sealed speaker compartments) my Aura NS6's have survived and are in perfect working order. Everything else however is ruined.

The reason I'm writing is see as to what would be the best way to resurrect the fallen beast. Saturnus my questions are directed towards you but happy the have input and ideas from all.

1. Should I re-use the NS6's? Or go for an alternative that is yet to be found?
2. Which amp should I buy as a replacement? The Amp6 I had was wonderful but there has been recent talk of newer more purpose built amps like the maxamp20?
3. Is the Dayton ND16FA-6 still the best option?

Think that's all I've got for now. I'll try and a dig up a picture of the fallen beast. =(

Thanks again guys!!!

Edited by Maverick - 02 January 2014 at 1:24pm
Maverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 2:15am
The only picture i could find.  Sorry about the quality.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 102>