Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
alphabetikal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphabetikal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:42am
Saturnus - you should put this in a wiki ? This thread is going to get massive and then its very hard to find the info needed etc.
Unless you dont have time to do that, in which case i think some one should volunteer to do it who knows how to install the software and got a few hours a week to run it.
Or could it go into the boominator wiki some how?
billyturf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyturf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 10:25am
Saturnus,

Is there an alternative for the AURA NS6, because shipping to EU costs more than the actual speakers?

Thx.
Phaedras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaedras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:55am
Originally posted by billyturf billyturf wrote:

Saturnus,

Is there an alternative for the AURA NS6, because shipping to EU costs more than the actual speakers?

Thx.

No, and since the price of the speakers are so incredibly low, even with the shipping they are cheaper than alternatives in Europe :)

Edited by Phaedras - 31 January 2013 at 9:57am
Phaedras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaedras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:59am
Originally posted by alphabetikal alphabetikal wrote:

Saturnus - you should put this in a wiki ? This thread is going to get massive and then its very hard to find the info needed etc.
Unless you dont have time to do that, in which case i think some one should volunteer to do it who knows how to install the software and got a few hours a week to run it.
Or could it go into the boominator wiki some how?

I'm actually running a WIKI over on boominator.dk aswell as the facebook page, so hop on over and add info if you like.. Ill update from time to time :)
TIP220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIP220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 9:57am
Hi Folks 
after lurking and thinking about a build for a while, the concept of a mini boominator fills all my criteria. So I have signed up especially to have a go at one myself. 
I ordered all drivers from PE and await their delivery. I would consider myself more than handy with the construction and build aspect of the project, however I will hold my hands up to be a complete edjut when it comes to the electrical side.
I will obviously upload pics as the project progresses but will be asking all sorts of newbie questions when it comes to wiring it all up.
looking forward to the adventure.
TIP220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIP220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 7:40pm
speakers have arrived from PE but I was a prat and managed to only order 2 tweeters.
so I will have to pay postage from Europe-audio, is it possible to buy the correct inductors and cap components from them? I can find the inductors but the 5.6 MKP cap seems elusive. can anybody point me in the correct direction.
I have 're-worked' the CAD model to make use of CNC equipment I have access to. I have kept the internal volumes identical, but have gone with 12mm Birch 9ply (kept the bracing 9mm). My concern is that once glued the will be no way of easily accessing the drivers. How reliable are components and how much should ease of access be considered ? Anybody suggestions or comments are welcome. I am very much an amateur when it comes to speakers. 
TIP220

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 8:04pm

You can get tweeters, coils, capacitors etc from http://www.intertechnik.com/

Just use a MKT cap. They're fairly cheap.

According to CATIA simulations there's not much reason for using 12mm over 9mm with the suggested bracing structure. However, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to make the baffles 12mm.

Just make sure that everything is working before closing the box the last time. Triple check everything. There should be not reliability issues at all if everything is connected and soldered together correctly. It'll easily last years and years.

The weak point is the electronics compartment in the middle. Make sure you can access that and change the battery or amp if you're unlucky. I would not worry at all about the speakers.

One of the first prototypes of the Boominator still works perfectly, and is touring festivals, brought to beach parties, bbqs, company events etc every year, and have been so since 2005. Sure it's looks battered but it still works fine.

Edited by Saturnus - 11 February 2013 at 8:09pm
Pepto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 10:20am
Originally posted by TIP220 TIP220 wrote:

... I can find the inductors but the 5.6 MKP cap seems elusive. ...

I ended up ordering tweeters and cross over components from Europe-Audio.  I chose this cap for the 5,7uF  http://www.europe-audio.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=8951
Seeing as i'm a complete amateur myself, i simply hope this was a good choice :)

edit. what's up with the hyperlink?

Edited by Pepto - 12 February 2013 at 10:25am
EOM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 5:29pm
I have completed initial build out and have tested the basic set up before final paint and gluing up the box. Decided to use biscuits for ease of assembly. Only build observation I might make is to double check assembly order you want to use. Next time I would consider rearranging material to set the top and bottom as last pieces to put together.
It sounds pretty decent Thumbs Up. The center box is a little crowded with the crossovers, amp and wiring (I ran everything there in case I want to play later). Still trying to find a reasonable battery. There is a possibility of getting a friend to run a curve on it. I will let you know if it happens.
The forum will not allow me to post a photo directly. Its only a clamped up primer box at this point anyway. 

menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 3:43am
As to waterproof speakers. I think you could spray them with something perhaps. Pretty sure i have seen some well respected names in the diy audio world spray speaker cones with coatings before........ Dunno if you could do a good enough job to take them scoober diving though;-)
menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 6:40am
Great to see this project in the making Saturnus. As, for me the 10 inch format was never interesting, just too big for what I was ever gonna use it for. And i am in the process of doing one my self based around a set of 6 inch car audio components and some lifepo4 cells. Although I think I might give your suggested drivers ago now, I have seen both of them mentioned before but never really taken much notice until now. Great sensitivity in that aura for a six.

Also, about the 9800mah li-ion battery you mentioned in your initial post, did you have a particular battery in mind, if so can you link that? Also, what were you thnking amp wise when you were thinking about li-ion, doesn't 4s start to get high in voltage for these 12v tripath amps and 3s would be unproductive??? Just interested as to what you had in mind there.

Another thing actually. Whats made you not decide on the amp6 from the start? Seems to me to be the logical choice.

Cheers, Menace.

Edited by menace - 13 February 2013 at 6:49am
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 7:57am

You can spray the cone very lightly with impregnating silicone for added resistance to the elements. However, it is far better just to avoid water/sand coming into contact with the driver in the first place. You can do that by using a grill, either a fine mesh grill which can be difficult to find in the right size, but I also very much favour using a standard punched grill where you first take the rubber ring off, spray the top side with contact glue, glue on a speaker cloth of your liking, cut away excess, and lastly put the rubber ring back on. Remember, the grill goes on the inside, between the woofer and the baffle.

While we're on the subject of the baffle. If you have the wood lying around, you can make the baffles of 12mm instead of 9mm without changing the outside dimensions. The result is a slightly improved stiffness, slightly higher weight, but most importantly it will make the drivers fit without any gaps between the magnet and the center brace. The grill with rubber ring will probably be slightly more than 1mm, usually about 1.2mm, but it easily compresses. It will not have any significant effect on tuning due to smaller cabinet volume (it's less than 1/3 of a liter smaller).

Baffles = 2x 12mm, brace = 9mm, grills with rubber ring = 2x 1mm, woofers 2x 82.5mm. Total = 200mm.

Please note. I think I forgot to mention this before but I advise the cabinet to stuffed medium hard with acoustic wool.

I didn't use the amp6 because the original idea called for an fully closed enclosure where all drivers shared the same volume. With the change to a design with a central electronic enclosure that is no longer applicable. Adjust the size of the electronic compartment as you see fit to suit whatever battery and amplifier you choose. Remember to keep the speaker cabinet volume roughly the same size so adjust overall length accordingly.

The 9800mah li-ion is one similar to this http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-DC-12V-Portable-9800mAh-Li-ion-Super-Rechargeable-li-on-Battery-Pack-for-wireless-transmitter/803611_564472693.html. It's 3 cell, so nominal voltage is between 10.8V and 11.4V. That works fine with any TA2020, TA2021, and (to some degree) TA2024 amp. The lower voltage of a 3-cell battery pack is actually a blessing in disguise as it makes a TA2024 amp capable of running a 4 ohms load which it would not do optimally on 12V or higher voltage. But you can use whatever battery you like. The electronic compartment is now sized so that it can host a standard 12V 7Ah SLA.

The amp I currently favour using for my own build is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/TA2024-MKV-Bluetooth-Tripath-amplifier-2X-15-Watts-12V-fully-finished-/251221801085?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3a7dfc787d. Combined with the battery above and laid on it's side I can cut 34mm of the width of the electronics compartment making the overall length 666mm. Please note that for that to fit, you need to replace the large input caps on that amp to something more suited for a class D amplifiers, like standard small WIMA or EPCOS MKP types (the large caps are passive loudspeaker filter caps, they're not suited for places where they can and will receive large amount of RF noise). I favour this amp primarily because of the built-in bluetooth audio module which naturally isn't terribly good for critical listening like all bluetooth audio recievers but for use as a portable audio player, it's an absolute gem as you can just stream the music directly from you phone instead of having to worry about cables.

Edited by Saturnus - 13 February 2013 at 9:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 102>